Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my '10 Versys last Wednesday on April 21st and already have 600 miles! Wow! What a fun bike! Tomorrow I will be taking it to the dealer for it's 600 mile checkup. I know there are some differences between the '10 and previous year models and want to get a taller windshield, a 16 tooth front sprocket, frame sliders or other crash bar type devices, and need a mount for my Givi trunk. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

:feedback:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I’ve had a Kawasaki “Tall” windshield on order for my 2010 for a while now but my dealer says they won’t be available until the end of May. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket windshields being made for it yet – but I’d love to know if you find one.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
:welcome:there are some very interesting threads on changing the back sprocket, seems going down to 44tooth is a good plan to:cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back in '05 I had an '04 VStrom DL650 and put a tall windshield on it from a company I can't remember the name of but they were looking for new models and would borrow the bike and give you a free windshield. I don't remember which company it was but know they were not in Texas so there was no way I was loaning them my bike. I had a KLR650 after selling the VStrom and they were looking for one to design a windshield for. I'll check my old emails and see if I can find them. Maybe we can find someone on here close to them with a '10 Versys they can loan to them.

I’ve had a Kawasaki “Tall” windshield on order for my 2010 for a while now but my dealer says they won’t be available until the end of May. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket windshields being made for it yet – but I’d love to know if you find one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I heard about changing the rear sprocket but my goal is to correct the speedometer error and increase the bike's top end for long trips. I'll bet there is a combo using both front and rear of various sizes that will make the bike ideal. Running stock, my bike is already faster than anything I have ridden and it's barely even broken in. The acceleration reminds me of the powerband of a 2-stroke dirtbike from the '80's. Most of my previous bikes were Dual Sports with a single cylinder so this added power I have with my V is new to me. :D

:welcome:there are some very interesting threads on changing the back sprocket, seems going down to 44tooth is a good plan to:cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I talked with Givi at the beginning of April and was told to look for top case mount the first half of May. I hope it arrives soon as I have already received the top case, lol. I am also anticipating a larger windshield, just waiting to see who makes it first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am almost positive the company is Cal-Sci. I'll check with them today and see if they are planning a windshield for the '10 Versys. :)

Back in '05 I had an '04 VStrom DL650 and put a tall windshield on it from a company I can't remember the name of but they were looking for new models and would borrow the bike and give you a free windshield. I don't remember which company it was but know they were not in Texas so there was no way I was loaning them my bike. I had a KLR650 after selling the VStrom and they were looking for one to design a windshield for. I'll check my old emails and see if I can find them. Maybe we can find someone on here close to them with a '10 Versys they can loan to them.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
... my goal is to correct the speedometer error and increase the bike's top end for long trips.
Have you checked your speedometer’s error? I ask because although I’ve read that the prior years were off quite a bit, my ’10 is pretty close to what I’m seeing on my GPS, e.g.,

65 MPH — Speedometer
63 MPH — GPS (constant speed, straight line, good satellite signals)

100.0 Miles — Odometer
101.5 Miles — GPS

Of course your desired Speed/RPM is more important... so you’ll probably still want to re-gear it. If you do (and it throws your Speed/Odometer way off) there are ways to calibrate it, e.g. http://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_accessory/speedohealer.htm

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked it last night while riding home using a Tom Tom GPS. Not sure about the odometer but the speedometer appears to be the same as yours. I did notice it's worse the faster you go. At 80MPH on the speedometer, It was showing 75MPH on the GPS. So, 6% error seems to be about right. At least it's not as bad as my '08 DR650 was. On that bike 80MPH was only 72MPH on the GPS. I checked it with both the Tom Tom and an eTrex. My solution for that bike was replacing the factory speedometer with a Vapor computer. :)

Have you checked your speedometer’s error? I ask because although I’ve read that the prior years were off quite a bit, my ’10 is pretty close to what I’m seeing on my GPS, e.g.,

65 MPH — Speedometer
63 MPH — GPS (constant speed, straight line, good satellite signals)

100.0 Miles — Odometer
101.5 Miles — GPS

Of course your desired Speed/RPM is more important... so you’ll probably still want to re-gear it. If you do (and it throws your Speed/Odometer way off) there are ways to calibrate it, e.g. http://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_accessory/speedohealer.htm

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
California Scientific Windshield

Just got off the phone with the guy at Cal-Sci and he was not aware of the difference between the '10 Versys and the older models, so was not working on designing a new one. After talking to me, he is going to work on making a windshield for the '10 Versys. He just needs to find a bike, which is apparently hard to do all over. I must have bought the last one last week. :)

Just curious, but how many other '10 owners are on here?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
yup guard is nice, not keen on screen tbh, but if it works who cares, i prefer dark n stealthy, but al wait, hell i havent even got my bike ordered yet, lol, not keen on the silver boxes n what have you, silver bits looks tacky, deffo a future thing to be painted!:clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts