Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So after a long night stuck in a walmart parking lot and a rescue mission from my dad (again), i have my V650 somewhat apart in the garage static testing the stator (bike wasnt accepting jump starts.... battery kept dying).

That said, i searched the forum and a lot of info on how to test the stator. So far on static test, i found that the three phases are similar to each other around 0.2ohms estimated, but i get a direct 0.8ohm to the ground from all three phases too. All of the info i saw says to test this and you WANT open line, but pretty much zero of the results of all the tests actually showed the Stator reading continuity to ground!

Hopefully the main question will be easy... what does the phase to ground actually mean? Is that just the stator is all mucked up and replacing it will fix the issue? Otherwise, is this caused by another issue somewhere? I will work on testing the rectifier next.

Thanks!
Jon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you measured the stator while still plugged in to the voltage regulator?
If not: The stator is toast
If so: you're measuring a rectifier diode, try setting the multimeter to "diode mode". If you're seeing a ~0.7V drop one way, and a "infinte" the other way (swapping the positive and negative probe). its probably fine.

To answer your question:
Phase to ground means a copper winding of your stator is in direct contact with your frame. Meaning all energy the stator generates will be disipated in your frame (acts like a resistor and disipates all electrical energy into heat energy). Swapping out the stator will probably fix the issue, check the wiring first! The cable that connects the stator with the regulator might be pinched or cut or otherwise abused.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey team! Got it apart, stator definitely toast. Love how easy this thing is to wrench on. Thanks for the tips. At least now there is a post talking about when it actually goes to ground. Photos are attached.

I noticed some scratches and damage to the cover, anyone know if a Ninja 650 cover will work?

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
...I noticed some scratches and damage to the cover, anyone know if a Ninja 650 cover will work?...
SAME engine, so it will fit, but if it's ONLY scratches, ask me and I'll send you a paint code that a buddy used when he had similar issues. (A "rattle-can")

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SAME engine, so it will fit, but if it's ONLY scratches, ask me and I'll send you a paint code that a buddy used when he had similar issues. (A "rattle-can")
A paint code would be awesome actually! let it rip. I will likely repaint it. And there was a ding on the outside that actually made a little bit of a crack on the inside 😤.

So I took advantage of our 50 degree day and just put some JB weld on it from the inside with the stator off so it should be fine. Someday I'll replace it once the cheap replacement stator goes! 😅

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Product Drink Beverage can Alcoholic beverage Material property

Liquid Fluid Font Gas Electronic device

I haven't used this paint, but my buddy DID, after he 'crashed' and broke one of his engine bits, and was happy w/ the results!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure I would use the JB weld on the inside of the cover. If it breaks loose you now have a hard chunk moving around inside the motor. Maybe in your location it is OK.

Arknt
Hmmm that's a good point, I mean I have done that before on junk I didn't care about but I tend to like this motorcycle lol. Plenty of oil pan and fuel tank fixes have been made with JB weld. But, now that we're talking about it I'm sure it's jinxed. Made sure to scuff the area after degreasing it, so I'm sure it will be okay. I'll make sure to pick at it before reassembly to make sure it's adhered good. If it comes apart and destroys the engine, I'll be sure to let you all know 🤣 in that spot towards the bottom of the cover it will likely just go into the oil pan anyway so I'll just see how it goes.

Thanks for the paint color btw, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE --- New Stator and Regulator installed.
New Stator is NOT grounded and reads about 0.2Ohm from leg to leg. Reading about 14.45VDC at the battery. Did an oil change with Mobile 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil or whatever you call it (2 qts with filter change in case someone finds this post in 5 years).

Luckily within the last few months, this youtube video came out and was my main source of info on how to do the work 100% right, this guy was awesome. Heck, if you're in the forum thank you for making it just in time to help me out.

Cheers everyone!

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 10 of 10 Posts