Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My 2009 Versys just past 10,000 miles this past weekend... Just replaced oil and filter this afternoon.

I am thinking of getting the spark plugs and air filter replaced this coming weekend (or the next).

Just wondering for those of you that swapped to Denso plugs, you notice any different from the NGK?

If I am going through the trouble to take everything off and to check the plugs, I will just go ahead and replace both plugs... My filter probably going to be dirty, so I am thinking of switching to BMC filter...

Question... Where is the best place to get Denso plugs and BMC filter? My chains and sprockets looks good, how long they normally last???

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-New-DENSO-IRIDIUM-POWER-IU27-Spark-Plugs-5363_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27aae94022QQitemZ170371137570QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMC-AIR-FILTER-KAWASAKI-VERSYS-ER6N-NINJA-650-650R-06-8_W0QQitemZ260570158797QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3cab3116cd

http://www.maximausa.com/products/filteroils/filterspray.asp
http://www.maximausa.com/products/cleaners/filtercleaner.asp

If the chain is well maintained and if it doesn't stretch unevenly, it can last up to 15000 to 20000 miles or so...
•Remove the chain cover
•Stretch the chain taut by hanging a 98 N (10 kg, 20 lb) weight on the chain.
•Measure the length of 20 links on the straight part of the chain from the pin center of the 1st pin to the pin center of the 21st pin. Since the chain may wear unevenly, take measurements at several places. If any measurements exceed the service limit, replace the chain. Also, replace the front and rear sprockets when the drive chain is replaced.
Drive Chain 20-link Length:
Standard: 317.5 ∼ 318.2 mm (12.50 ∼ 12.53 in.)
Service Limit: 323 mm (12.7 in.)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Invader!

I found and watch the plugs and bmc filter already... Just wondering any other place is cheaper... :)

My chains hardly stretch at all, only adjust it 2 times so far. Only minimum adjust, let hope it will last over 20K miles. I lubed with the blue 3m teflon stuff every 300 miles or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good info to know, I will be at 10K miles in a couple of weeks, will probably be doing the same work. Let us how the plugs look when you take them out, I have seen where they can go longer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just passed 10K recently on my 2009. I had my independent shop install iridiums, didn't notice any difference other than making my wallet thinner, I just wanted something that would last a long time. I cleaned my air filter at 8K, it was real dirty, it will be serviced every 8K from now on. I will stick with the stock filter. All the valves were in spec.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might just clean my original air filter...

Really no need to spend $70 on a BMC filter... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did all this recently as well (10k ) the plugs did not look real bad but I changed them, cleaned the filter which also was really way better than I expected. The chain at this point was well inside tolerance for stretch, but needed a little slack taken up. Two new tires this week will be my project. I will pull off the front and rear and take them to the dealer for some new shoes. The front is the original which has 11K on it (still could go another 1k I'll bet) the rear is a bridgestone 016 which only lasted 5500 miles. (in fact UPS guy should be here any minute with my tires) new set of Pirelli Angel ST.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Measure the length of 20 links on the straight part of the chain from the pin center of the 1st pin to the pin center of the 21st pin. Since the chain may wear unevenly, take measurements at several places. If any measurements exceed the service limit, replace the chain. Also, replace the front and rear sprockets when the drive chain is replaced.
That's a pretty labor intensive service method.

I like mine.

1. Get off motorcycle
  2. Scratch ass.
  3. Pick up lower portion of chain with foot.
  4. If it doesn't have too much slack, check it again next week.
  5. If it's wicked sloppy, loosen the axle then dial those adjusters out a tick and you're good for another oil change or so.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That's a pretty labor intensive service method.

I like mine.

1. Get off motorcycle
  2. Scratch ass.
  3. Pick up lower portion of chain with foot.
  4. If it doesn't have too much slack, check it again next week.
  5. If it's wicked sloppy, loosen the axle then dial those adjusters out a tick and you're good for another oil change or so.
:funnypost: Just what I do except I don't get off the motorcycle 'til I hear the chain slapping the swingarm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts