Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
305 Posts
It's interesting how I took the photos in order, selected them when posting in order, but when they upload they are not in order. I really don't want to label all these photos...any better way to have the photos post in the order selected?
I have had the same problem, my solution has been to post the pics one at a time.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
671 Posts
Reactions: GeoGator

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okay, I'm ready to start checking electrical stuff. What should I start with? Is there a specific location(s) in the manual I should look at? What type of tools will I need?

Additional pictures posted for forum members to reference when I may ask where something is located or what it looks like.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
I am going to suggest taking the connectors apart going to the right handlebar side and left side. Both have been subject to corrosion. The frame ground by the rear brake reservoir and engine ground both need clean with scotch brite pads. I have a thread on that. You should be doing a valve shim check. My post lists the tools you need. The stick coils need checking which would be part of the valve shim.
Lots more but a start.

Reactions: bill_milstead

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks Onewizard! Between you, Invader, and some other posts I'm really blessed! I initially started reading posts (multiple ones) and started getting a little confused due to the OVERWHELMING amount of information out there. I also have never done anything this in depth before. I've changed the oil and adjusted the chain slack, but I think that is all on the Versys. I've changed the oil in a car and put on spare tires, but not much more than that. This is actually a good thing because I am learning how to be more self reliant and I'm ONLY doing this due to the wonderful information that y'all have put on this forum. (It's funny, over a decade later and this forum is still fantastic!)

So, I printed out the manual and was flipping through it back and forth to do the regular maintenance (Chapter 2) and the valve shim check. Since it's not running I skipped over any of the parts that needed checking there. I was able to get pretty far tearing it apart and messing with stuff, but did not complete the valve shim check. I had to pause because I need to get sleep before work and I now need to read more on this forum. So my general questions and observations are below.

1) What do you mean by taking the connectors apart on the handlebars? Do you mean where all the controls attach and looking for rust/corrosion?
2) Holy cow that is A LOT more work than I anticipated to access the valve shim job!
3) What are the current recommendations for replacing the periodic replacement parts? For example the fuel hose I'm sure is one piece wherever you want to get it. Though for replacing the radiator hoses and O-rings... is there a kit or do the items need to be ordered individually? I have the same question for brake hose and pipe, rubber parts of master cylinder, and all brake parts.
4) I noticed some posts about Throttle body hose mod, and other posts about upgrading the brakes/calipers. Should I update any components to something aftermarket while I have it apart? I also noticed some posts about making fuel lines longer written by you I believe. Are there any upgrades or changes I can do that will make maintenance easier in the future?
5) I noticed at different times the manual references sealant and grease. Is there a general sealant that can be used for all applications or do I have to buy specific sealant for each item that I have to put together? For grease, does it matter what type of grease is used? Would Lucas red and tacky grease be okay? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...1xxEUMLwIPPsua8uizAaAlwTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
6) How much should I strip the bike down? Should I tear the whole engine apart to check things out or will this amount of maintenance be enough?

I'm going to attach pictures and hopefully if something is wrong you can point it out. Oh yes, I know this is going to sound crazy, but there is a little yellow "thing" once I unscrewed the lower cap...is that a worm? Also please excuse the crude labeling convention used for electrical wires. I don't have an electrical background so the easiest/smartest thing for me to do was to match electrical tape colors between different connectors.

Okay, thanks again and I'll update when I'm able to get back out there and work on it some more. :)

-Bill

21 - 40 of 94 Posts