Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, where to start! So I bought this bike brand new in 2010. I rode for a little while though I never felt confident like I did when I was a young man riding dirt bikes. (Of course back then I was immortal and nothing could phase me.) Anyway, I started growing concerned about getting hurt and not being able to pay my bills. Fast forward a few months into 2010 to where I learned the term ATGATT. Then, after pricing safety gear, I decided to not ride often since there was no way to afford full on hard-core gear. The years past by some more and around 2016 I decided to ride a few times with the last time having a minor accident. I ended up laying it down on the left side at low speed (totally my fault) and decided to not ride again for a while. I parked the motorcycle over 6 years ago with full intentions of riding again but never did. Also like a [email protected]$$ I didn't prep the bike at all for storage. So, while the bike is in good shape, time has taken its toll. I had actually given up on it and felt horrible every time I looked at it.

Now fast forward to the present. I just recently decided to start riding again and was all set to go buy a new 2021 Versys. However, when the Mrs. came to me with safety concerns I backed out of the deal and gave up. Luckily we've talked more since then and I've been able to convince her to let me ride again. Though this time I will have FULL hard-core ATGATT. I've also decided to try and fix up my 2009 Versys.

So, while I don't have a lot of pictures of the bike in its current state, I can tell you that a film/mold seems to have settled over it (thanks hot humid shed). I can also tell you that the gas tank was full of old gas and rust. So after researching on this forum and online I've now purchased new oil, oil filter, battery, air filter, spark plugs, and fuel injectors. I plan on swapping all of these items out, cleaning the gas tank, and then seeing if she'll startup. If it does start, I will then replace the coolant, brakes/pads, tires, chain, cables, and all hoses.

Is there anything that I'm missing on replacing or checking? Is there a hose kit for the bike? When replacing spark plugs and injectors, do I need to lubricate anything? Is there anything else I should do before starting the bike? Any recommendations for good products to use when replacing brakes, cables, hoses, etcetera?

Finally, here are some pictures of my poor neglected bike. I wish I had taken more initial photos so that y'all could have seen how much worse it was! I even had mice living under the seat that I cleaned out. While the order of photos may not be great, hopefully it might help someone to see what items look like...especially when neglected. Most photos currently (more coming later) are of the gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel gauge.

Oh yes, I would not have done any of this without all the great information on this forum. I would have just given up completely. So here is to a hopefully restored Versys and a long healthy life with it. (Fingers crossed.)

-Bill

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, don't be an idiot like me and keep your gas cap, fuel pump, and fuel gauge attached while trying to clean out the rust in your gas tank. I initially figured that since they were sealed and everything was rusted... that there would be harm in adding vinegar and leaving those components attached. I WAS WRONG! While it did clean them, it also destroyed them a bit and caused more rust from spilt vinegar. Now I'm unsure if they'll work at all.

So while vinegar does great, make sure you remove everything before adding it. Also plug the holes so none spills out!
Water Liquid Fluid Road surface People in nature

Motor vehicle Fixture Door Gas Circle

Motor vehicle Green Automotive lighting Fluid Grass

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Water Grass Gas

Wheel Automotive tire Green Iris Rim

Wood Water Bedrock Natural material Soil

Fluid Gas Automotive lighting Plastic Machine

Green Motor vehicle Gas Grass Digital camera

Green Camera Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a bunch of rust came out, but I also screwed up the paint job. CLEAN OFF vinegar if you soil it or any escapes! What's worse is the gas cap is destroyed. I'm hoping to salvage the fuel pump and fuel gauge though. What do y'all think?
Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

Hand Fluid Finger Gas Nail

Hand Green Finger Wood Thumb

Hand Fluid Wood Auto part Household supply

Jaw Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Snout

Fluid Finger Thumb Material property Nail

Tool Luggage and bags Saw Wood Bag

Body jewelry Silver Red Jewellery Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wood Material property Revolver Trigger Tool

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
672 Posts
Good luck with the restoration!

Reactions: GeoGator

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
672 Posts
Why in the world does it state that this photo is sensitive?
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Bwahahaha !

Well Bill, I guess some folks are offended by / sensitive to your unashamed display of stripped down fuel pump components.

Hand Finger Pink Nail Material property

EDIT: (I reposted a screenshot to see if it picks up the content again)

Reactions: bill_milstead

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
Well, I don't know if a ninja fuel tank would fit. Lots of wrecked bikes available in the USA . I would have replaced the fuel tank. The pump has a plastic bung on it which is easily broken. There are after market pumps available and filters for the pump.
I wouldn't have replaced the injectors. Best while you are at it to check your valve shim clearance.
Your brake calipers may be shot. Lots of things need replacing as you listed.
Once you get into it give me a shout. Electrical grounds and connectors need checking before you try and start it.
For compatible ninja or ER 6 parts, look up @jdrocks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Onewizard, thank you for the offer of assistance. Looking at it now I should have just purchased all of it anew. The tank looks good (on the inside) and the fuel pump may work, but the fuel gauge is shot after my "handy work". I haven't replaced the injectors physically yet, I only purchased some. I have no clue how to check the valve shim clearance nor the brake calipers. I will however use the user manual and this forum to figure it out hopefully.

Electrical grounds and connectors need checking...I never would have thought about any of that. Also, I know NOTHING about electricity. I don't know how to check it, what to check, etc. I can google some videos or follow some instructions, but I really am a blank slate when it comes to electrical work.

Thanks for the recommendation of aftermarket parts for the pump. When I took it apart I couldn't figure out how to get the filter off. I'll have to research it some more. Also thank you very much for compatible models! That will help tremendously when looking at stuff on ebay!

Do you think the injectors will be okay after all this time?

I'll work on it more this weekend. Where should I start on the electrical components?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HA! A wheelie was how I laid it down. :)

Cleaned the tank completely and did a paint patch job on it. I've never painted anything other than walls in the house so my skills are lacking. However, I'm the only one who will see it regularly so who cares. Downtime now until the weekend. Photos from today.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Alloy wheel

Wood Tool Gas Automotive tire Concrete

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle brake Bicycle part Rim

Hand Automotive tire Finger Household hardware Gas

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Gas Circle Cameras & optics Rim

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Tire Rim

Automotive tire Art Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Font Circle

1 - 20 of 96 Posts