Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another Kawasaki forum, there is discussion of a USA bound 1000cc Versys for 2009. Anyone know this for a fact?

Too Tall

·
Registered
11 Posts
A 1000cc parallel twin? Highly unlikely. It would have to be a new engine. I'm not that familiar with the engine but doubt it has room to go up to even a 750. Which by the way is the strangely absent displacement in the world, sadly. Except for the GSXR.

It was an odd twist of fate that the 750 class died. Overall it might be the best size for most every application using modern design. I'd say Kawi missed the boat by making a new 650, not a 750. The result is fine in the Versys. The Ninja not so much. Just not enough grunt low or power high to make many really happy. 650 is right for the overall Versys design I suppose but power sells.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A 1000cc parallel twin? Highly unlikely. It would have to be a new engine. I'm not that familiar with the engine but doubt it has room to go up to even a 750. Which by the way is the strangely absent displacement in the world, sadly. Except for the GSXR.

It was an odd twist of fate that the 750 class died. Overall it might be the best size for most every application using modern design. I'd say Kawi missed the boat by making a new 650, not a 750. The result is fine in the Versys. The Ninja not so much. Just not enough grunt low or power high to make many really happy. 650 is right for the overall Versys design I suppose but power sells.
Want a 750 twin? Look no further:

Aprilia Shiver 750. It is sex.

I agree with you about the 750's, they have been ignored for too long. Kawi used to have the z750 naked bike, it's a shame they stopped making it. I almost bought a used one instead of the V.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anyone know anything new about a larger displacement Versys? I've also hear that Triumph may come out with a Tiger 675. Anyone know anything about that one?? Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
They still sell the Z750 in the UK. We had it here as well until 2006 or 2007. Now we can't even get the z1000. Shame as the Kawi nakeds are hot bikes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the Versys 1000 was just someones photoshop work. Here was the pic: http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/view/all_new_kawasaki_versys_1000/1393.html

Lets face it in this economy I think Kawasaki would be a little nuts to intro a new version of a bike that only sells OK. There was certainly no mention of it at the motorcycle show that I went to, and no news on the Kawasaki web site. So I would not hold your breath. Besides one of the nice things on this bike is the low weight. Compare The V-Strom DL650 to the DL1000. The added weight means acceleration is about the same. Top speed is the only real difference.

I was looking at the Versys and my early thought was "boy will a 650 do it for me? I mean its kind of small..." Then I looked up the last bike I owned a VX800 - HP 52.8 @ 7500 RPM. Torque, 43.7 @ 4500 RPM. The V has 59.4 hp at 8400 rpm & 42.0 ft-lbs. So a 650 of today has more power than a 14 year old 800. I was never for want of more power on my 800 (and I & my wife are not exactly small...), of course the VX was a v-twin and made all its power down low.

Steve

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
The Versys 650's low to mid range grunt is hard to beat. It also has an increadibly wide and flat torque curve, and it's much lighter at under 400 lbs dry...
The Versys 1000 rumour was strong about a year to two years ago, as was the Triumph Tiger 675. The global economic breakdown has put some projects on hold and has temporarily reduced the development rate. Maybe we'll see a new Versys 700 in a couple years from now, along with new Ninja and ER. My wild guess is for model year 2012...

·
Registered
122 Posts
versys 1000

If you go onto the link, www.visordown.com, and then type in the search
versys 1000, you can see the supposed versys 1000, but this has been around the rumor mill for a bit now, it shows a parallel twin 998cc so you never know, Ps we still get both the z750 & z1000 here in the uk both bikes have been updated for 2009,,

·
Registered
377 Posts
QUOTE:
Shame as the Kawi nakeds are hot bikes.

They are hot bikes and Kawi still sells them overseas because there is enough folks buying them to justify building them.
Shame on us for not buying them, the Z1000 is a great bike.

USA riders tend to either like sportbikes or cruisers but the tide is slowly turning and the Versys is living proof.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts