Details and Features
Source: Kawasaki (www.kawasaki.com)
- Aggressive styling
- Powerful parallel-twin engine
- Compact size and weight
- Long-travel suspension
- Comfortable cockpit
- 649cc parallel twin-cylinder, DOHC engine is the most compact in its category.
- The engine is considerably smaller than that of the Ninja 500 and helps reduce the dimension of the entire motorcycle.
- Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low-to mid-rpm range with exceptional roll-on response –ideal for negotiating city traffic
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout makes it short front to back, a semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine height, and the narrow pitch of the chrome composite plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width.
- Muffler with 3-way catalyzer and bullet-tip opening is mounted below the engine to help lower the center of gravity and aid weight centralization
- 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation.
- Oil jets on the connecting rod big ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling.
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows closer engine tolerances for more horsepower
- Fewer external hoses because the coolant is routed through the engine cases
- Utilizes 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with ECU controlled sub throttle valves for optimum performance and rideability
- The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, permit the DFI system a more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
- Automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy
- Precise fuel injection plus exhaust catalyzer significantly reduce emissions
- Microprocessor controlled timing never requires adjustment and is ultra responsive to engine needs
- Spark plug mounted “stick” ignition coils are compact and help reduce weight
- Cassette style transmission means the shafts and shift drum are in a compact layout that is easily removed as a single unit from the case for easier maintenance
- High tensile steel trellis frame is small and light
- Designed using 3-dimensional computer analysis to achieve the optimum stiffness balance for better handling
- Narrow at the knees and feet for increased rider comfort and control
- Aluminum gull-wing swingarm and offset, laydown single rear shock complement the frame design to create an integrated line flowing from the steering head to the rear hub
- Short, compact frame and engine design allows the swingarm to be longer, which helps improve overall handling
- Showa shock has adjustable preload and rebound damping and uses a free piston and two-stage damping valves for smooth action during initial compression that becomes much firmer near the end of the stroke for a more planted feel
- 41mm Inverted fork with stiff springs combines the best of off-road and sportbike-type suspension for excellent performance over a wide range of conditions
- Tapered, relatively short outer tubes help provide the ideal stiffness balance to compliment chassis settings
- Fork height, preload and rebound damping can all be adjusted to fine-tune the suspension to specific conditions or riding style
- Petal design rotors offer improved cooling and warp resistance
- Same rotor design as found on the Ninja ZX™-6R and ZX™-10R supersport machines
- Also found on the Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R; the six-spoke design requires much less material between spokes so that the rim thickness is thinner and overall wheel weight is reduced
- Each part of the two-piece seat was designed with a different thickness and firmness of foam to optimize comfort for both rider and passenger
- Passenger seat and grab bars were designed to provide a natural seating position for added comfort
- Easy-to-read instrument panel has a large analog tachometer and digital readout for the speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters and clock. White LED backlighting provides increased visibility at night
- Three different settings, each 20mm apart, allows riders to adjust windscreen height to suit their preferences
Source: Kawasaki (www.kawasaki.com)