Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought secondhand 57 plated Versys GT. Didn't come with the original panniers, so I've had to buy new Givi V35's, but they look great..

I think I might have an issue that didn't come to light at purchase.

Bike runs fine, very responsive, great riding position.. However, when I've come to the end of a journey longer than 15 mins, I'm noticing an amount of coolant being dumped from the overflow pipe.

This has happened several times now. When in traffic last week, the temperature light came on. I moved off to find somewhere to stop, and the light went out, presumably as I was moving again and the rad was receiving an amount of cooling having not been in traffic any longer.

A fellow Versys owner has asked if the cooling fan is coming on - which it isn't. So there's clearly a problem; however..

Does the thermostat on the Versys control when the cooling fan kicks in ?
Or does the cooling fan have its own temperature sensor ?

I think I'm obviously gonna have to do some kind of fix - but don't want to start with the thermostat if it isn't linked to the cooling fan working..

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.. Many thanks

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
IF the fan is not coming on, try moving the blades to see if there is free play. Chances are it may be stuck due to stone chips got wedged in and burn out the fan.

The temperature sender unit, located under the Throttle Body, monitors the coolant temps and the ECU turns on or off the FAN. If the Fan is fine, check the radiator cap, it could be stuck cap.

The thermostat, is unlikely to cause an overheat, it usually cause overcooling as when it gets stuck, it is normally in the open wide position. If you check it, a stuck thermostat should have scratch marks all over it where the bi metals move w.r.t one another.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Likely the fan, and check the fuse if the fan seems free to move.
If all that's alright, then it might be the Cap. I'd replace it.
Drain and flush the radiator, refill with fresh 50/50.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I can almost guarantee you it's the fan. I had the same thing happen on my 09. Kawasaki wants more than $400.00 for a new one but I got one off an 010 for $73.00 on EBay.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts