Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just got this bike (which I like very much except for the fact that it keeps dying on me!). On the test drive the bike did not start after running fine for a couple hours, but we jumped it, then it died shortly after. No problems though- needed a new battery and new regulator rectifier, which the owner got professionally installed. $700 later, I figure I am buying a pretty good bike. Rode the bike for about 700kms and then stopped somewhere, it would not start. Jumped it no problem but then about 5 minutes later all the electronics shut off, and it totally died. Got it towed back to same garage that did the work. They recharge the battery, say they cannot find ANYTHING wrong.
I have no choice but to take the bike home, ride it for about 500kms. exact thing happens again- to the letter. So I have it at home and have to figure out what the heck is going on myself. ...
I re-charged the battery, I think it was at 13.18 on the multimeter, went down to 12.4 for no real reason, took it out for a ride only about 60kms yesterday, and when I stopped -would not start AGAIN- took a reading- battery voltage was 10.4, I jumped it and got home (2 minutes aways) then the reading was 11.4.......
Recharged it last night and today battery reads 13.4.
Bike also got a new Stator 2 years ago, all wires are grounded and look good, all fuses are fine.....
My knowledge in this area is basically zero ...(.well it was zero now all I do is read moto forums and try follow what they say!) Anyways I am working through electrical trouble shooting lists, but really cannot understand what is going on, and it feels a bit hopeless since the professionals could not "find" anything, what hope do I have? That said, its spring and its sunny and I'm gonna die of heartbreak if I can't get this bike rolling! Hope someone can help! Sincere thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
"professionals could not "find" anything"..... because they are not looking at the right things. sounds like the bike runs when the battery is charged, and as the battery dies it gets worse and then quits. the first thing to do is measure the battery voltage on the bike, then start the engine and measure the voltage again. if it does not go higher or there is a charging system problem. run the throttle up to 2-3000 rpm the DV volts should be around 14 at the battery

if NOT, you can check the stator with a volt meter. pull the connector from the regulator and measure voltage on the 3 yellow wires. measure pairs, there are 3 possible pairs. they should all read the same voltage or very close. check at idle and something like 2-3000 RPM. should get around 12 at idle and voltage should rise with throttle and will go to 3-0 40 volts AC... the voltage is AC, so set the meter to match.

normally the stator leads are totally isolated from the rest of the bike, but at least some years if the Versys use one stator lead to trigger the headlight. on the lowest scale, measure ohms from any yellow lead to the engine case. I don't know what the relay resistance is but it wont be zero (which would indicate a short to the case)... I'd expect something around 100 ohms. there are other ways to test for this if there is any question

if the stator tests good then it is the regulator or the wiring. is the replacement regulator stock or aftermarket?

what year is the bike?

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Hi All, just got this bike (which I like very much except for the fact that it keeps dying on me!). On the test drive the bike did not start after running fine for a couple hours, but we jumped it, then it died shortly after. No problems though- needed a new battery and new regulator rectifier, which the owner got professionally installed. $700 later, I figure I am buying a pretty good bike. Rode the bike for about 700kms and then stopped somewhere, it would not start. Jumped it no problem but then about 5 minutes later all the electronics shut off, and it totally died. Got it towed back to same garage that did the work. They recharge the battery, say they cannot find ANYTHING wrong.
I have no choice but to take the bike home, ride it for about 500kms. exact thing happens again- to the letter. So I have it at home and have to figure out what the heck is going on myself. ...
I re-charged the battery, I think it was at 13.18 on the multimeter, went down to 12.4 for no real reason, took it out for a ride only about 60kms yesterday, and when I stopped -would not start AGAIN- took a reading- battery voltage was 10.4, I jumped it and got home (2 minutes aways) then the reading was 11.4.......
Recharged it last night and today battery reads 13.4.
Bike also got a new Stator 2 years ago, all wires are grounded and look good, all fuses are fine.....
My knowledge in this area is basically zero ...(.well it was zero now all I do is read moto forums and try follow what they say!) Anyways I am working through electrical trouble shooting lists, but really cannot understand what is going on, and it feels a bit hopeless since the professionals could not "find" anything, what hope do I have? That said, its spring and its sunny and I'm gonna die of heartbreak if I can't get this bike rolling! Hope someone can help! Sincere thanks!
The short answer is above @Beezerboy Thanks --good source of electrical knowledge!! FYI it is a 2007 according to the title--I missed it too
First welcome aboard. Where in Canada are you?
First a little history, if you dig deep enough you will find hundreds of electrical posts by me. I have been running series regulators since 2009 , first on my 07 and then on my 2015. I get between 5 and 6 years on a battery. I have what I call a neat little voltmeter post 105 Voltmeter / Neat Little/ Digital / Bar Graph / Others
So this spring I had a puzzling thing happen, on a 400 KM ride all of a sudden I am in the red at 5000 RPM, only for a couple minutes then fine , then 3 minutes later again, this went on for half a hour, I was running heated gear and it was 6'C out when I started, got into Owen Sound and stopped at Subway, then rode another 75 KM during that 75K no issues, on the return home it did it again for about a 10 minute interval near home, by this time we were at 20'C . I have a battery tester, load tested it, tested fine, I re checked all my regulator connections as I recently built a Polaris regulator C/W harness for a member and used my bike for testing. I could find nothing wrong, I bought a new battery and strongly suspected that a plate had come loose in the battery and was bouncing around, every once in a while it shorted out.

One thing I failed to mention, I spent a lifetime in electrical trouble shooting, so I have a Denali horn that draws roughly 20 amp, When the problem went away on that ride, I tried the Denali horn, my neat little voltmeter didn't go as low as when the problem existed, so either something was shorting out or my charging system was failing completely at times. So when the magic smoke escapes it doesn't come back--so either I had a bad connection ( bad connections produce heat and discoloration ) or a bad battery. Can't complain , first new battery on my 2015, almost 6 years ( prime reason is the series regulator for battery life) cost me $100 and over 1500 KM later this year and no worries.

So to address your problem. My money says you have a bad battery. However I will add links for testing your stator and your regulator. My guess is you have a shunt regulator, be aware that if you decide to convert to LED lighting, depending on the year of your bike,2007 in the title , you should also convert to a series regulator.

For after market stator I recommend electrosport

Here is testing to prove if it is a series regulator;

·
Registered
373 Posts
well???????

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well???????
Ok guys, first off thank you very much for the replies! I have been working a lot so took me a few days to get back to the bike. The battery from all tests is good. The stator tests all came back good as well. I did not do the headlight wire test, as I might need a visual for that one, (hoping 2007 is not a year that has this headlight wire)! I am not sure what type of regulator they put in, but I can find out if it is important (it is only 1 month old, so hopefully not the problem). One thing I have noticed, the wires coming out of the stator on my bike are white, but most videos I have seen they are yellow? It was replaced in 2019, but is this normal? Where do I go from here? I'm in Squamish BC, btw.....
One last thing I forgot to mention is that as the bike gets closer to the ride it dies on, there are some weird sounds when starting....a squeal type noise and the last time a sort of clunk? Sorry that is very vague!
Thanks again for the help, I'll check in here later as I do not have a lot of days where I can work on this baby!
KD

·
Administrator
8,309 Posts
"One last thing ........... there are some weird sounds when starting....a squeal type noise and the last time a sort of clunk? Sorry that is very vague! "

Squeal noise is the bike doing the system check up and the chunk noise when staring is usually from a low voltage battery. My input is based on what i understand from your above statement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok- this might be a dumb question, BUT is it at all possible that if the bike had a corroded ground (or 2) AND I was operating it at very low RMP's (which I was b.c I was only riding at first in parking lots and side streets)....could these things together have drained the battery? If yes- that would explain the first but not the second "death".....
This is about the only theory we have come up with as all else seems to be coming up roses......

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
I provided lots of links. I don't change parts , the exception this spring, I had a sudden loss of power, intermittent, this after building a series regulator C/W harness and using my bike to test it. My Denali compressor draws 20 amp, so later when it was fine, on the same ride, I hit the compressor, a good 5 seconds, my neat little voltmeter was about the same as when it acted up, this told me the loss was either something over 25 amp as I had heated gear and grips on, or my battery charging system was quitting on a intermittent basis while riding or my load exceeded 25 amp, the only thing I could think of was a battery plate shorting out at a certain higher voltage, So after taking my Polaris apart, and confirming all was good, I replaced my 6 year old battery ( it tested good on my battery tester, but vibration and heat on the battery are hard to simulate) After the new battery, it is always at or above 14.2 VDC to 14.3 VDC
If you had a bad ground, your bike wouldn't start, that starter draws 50 amp, a loose battery post yes possible, a corroded connection at the regulator possible. A corroded connection at the main fuse, doubtful .A corroded connector at the 3 phase stator output, possible. A corroded connection within the regulator highly possible . All require a visual and follow through post. Hard to give advice when the post is days or weeks apart .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes- sorry for the delay in posts. There is NOTHING I would rather do than work on the bike until it is fixed and rolling but my the rest of my life, irritating things like the job and the kids keep sucking up my time! And its been sunny! I did take off basically everything on the top half of the bike, and honestly nothing looks bad at all, all connections seem perfect, and I did the tests from the posts as I could manage. So just going to ride around now, come back home and keep checking to see if the battery is being charged when riding or not. All connections to the regulator look perfect which is not a surprise since it was just replaced right before I bought this bike. So I guess at this point I'm just hoping that by some miracle this never happens again? Thanks for your through input, and patience on my lack of posts!

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Yes- sorry for the delay in posts. There is NOTHING I would rather do than work on the bike until it is fixed and rolling but my the rest of my life, irritating things like the job and the kids keep sucking up my time! And its been sunny! I did take off basically everything on the top half of the bike, and honestly nothing looks bad at all, all connections seem perfect, and I did the tests from the posts as I could manage. So just going to ride around now, come back home and keep checking to see if the battery is being charged when riding or not. All connections to the regulator look perfect which is not a surprise since it was just replaced right before I bought this bike. So I guess at this point I'm just hoping that by some miracle this never happens again? Thanks for your through input, and patience on my lack of posts!
I re-read your first post. Several things. I always did a visual first on every service call, MANY times a close look found problems a meter would never find. Take the 3 phase connector apart near the stator and look. Make sure the connector at the 30 amp main fuse is without corrosion and is connected properly. We are looking for a mistake made by the garage. Pay close attention to the start relay terminals at that main fuse. Have you checked your main ground at the starter? Is it tight and free of oxidation? Just because the regulator was changed means nothing, however we are looking for something intermittent, but major as to charging, regulator don't fail then come back to life.
My test for 3 phase alternator is fool proof and eliminates the stator. I have helped many Versys owners all over the world, not patting myself on the back, just saying with the right info I can fix it. What I asked for should take no one more than 30 minutes total with a meter ( and any meter will do that reads VAC and VDC )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I re-read your first post. Several things. I always did a visual first on every service call, MANY times a close look found problems a meter would never find. Take the 3 phase connector apart near the stator and look. Make sure the connector at the 30 amp main fuse is without corrosion and is connected properly. We are looking for a mistake made by the garage. Pay close attention to the start relay terminals at that main fuse. Have you checked your main ground at the starter? Is it tight and free of oxidation? Just because the regulator was changed means nothing, however we are looking for something intermittent, but major as to charging, regulator don't fail then come back to life.
My test for 3 phase alternator is fool proof and eliminates the stator. I have helped many Versys owners all over the world, not patting myself on the back, just saying with the right info I can fix it. What I asked for should take no ore than 30 minutes total with a meter ( and any meter will do that reads VAC and VDC )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[/QUOTE]
I will pat you on the back because I was going to say that I find it disturbing you have so much more information/knowledge than any of the three mechanics who have looked at the bike! So- I went for a ride and stopped 2x and bike took 3 tries to start both times, now home and will not start at all- I took a video of this start attempt incase there is something you notice in it. Also when it does not start right away the hazards always come on....I will follow your instructions above tomorrow, but surprise surprise, I have to go to work again! Battery was charged to 13.12 when I left, and reads 12.18 upon the return home.
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/67/07/929388D6-8635-4BC4-9CC7-A539D085088B/IMG_2072.MOV
ok above I think is the video- apparently loading video also not my forte!

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/67/07/929388D6-8635-4BC4-9CC7-A539D085088B/IMG_2072.MOV
ok above I think is the video- apparently loading video also not my forte!
[/QUOTE]
Can't open it!

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Well the message I got isn't shown on the forum, about not starting now. I don't need a video, just what you mean by not starting, starter doesn't engage? It turns over but doesn't fire? Turning key on gage powers up, fuel pump runs for 3 seconds but pushing start does nothing? FYI any posts here come directly to my phone. I don't sit around the forum waiting for a answer but, jump at it when the problem surfaces, best time to trouble shoot

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the message I got isn't shown on the forum, about not starting now. I don't need a video, just what you mean by not starting, starter doesn't engage? It turns over but doesn't fire? Turning key on gage powers up, fuel pump runs for 3 seconds but pushing start does nothing? FYI any posts here come directly to my phone. I don't sit around the forum waiting for a answer but, jump at it when the problem surfaces, best time to trouble shoot
Ok- I will change my approach of asking for help when I am leaving the bike and TRY ask when I am actually there- ready to work on it- good tip esp if I have you responding asap! So - my test run of yesterday - drove about 20kms to the gas station- all seemed well. When I went to start the bike, - first try- would not turn over....tried again, and bike started as per normal.....drove not very far and bike shut off, this time, went to start once- no turn over- second time- same thing- third time- started as per normal. Obviously drove right home, shut bike off, would not turn over. New development...bike seemed to be overheating? Would this factor into anything? This morning before I left, I started the bike- no problem. In the past this "bike starts after a couple tries" was the pattern for once or twice before it totally died, but the big death would happen after that, after a jump, just riding down the road, electrics die, then bike fully dead. Once the battery is charged fully, bike seems fine when you leave home, but then this situation of not turning over ....until death...happens.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok- I will change my approach of asking for help when I am leaving the bike and TRY ask when I am actually there- ready to work on it- good tip esp if I have you responding asap! So - my test run of yesterday - drove about 20kms to the gas station- all seemed well. When I went to start the bike, - first try- would not turn over....tried again, and bike started as per normal.....drove not very far and bike shut off, this time, went to start once- no turn over- second time- same thing- third time- started as per normal. Obviously drove right home, shut bike off, would not turn over. New development...bike seemed to be overheating? Would this factor into anything? This morning before I left, I started the bike- no problem. In the past this "bike starts after a couple tries" was the pattern for once or twice before it totally died, but the big death would happen after that, after a jump, just riding down the road, electrics die, then bike fully dead. Once the battery is charged fully, bike seems fine when you leave home, but then this situation of not turning over ....until death...happens.
working on bike now- main fuse and stator seem all good.....where is the main ground at the starter? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but this is the level of ignorance you are dealing with. Today bike now does not start, battery voltage down to 12.55.....

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
working on bike now- main fuse and stator seem all good.....where is the main ground at the starter? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but this is the level of ignorance you are dealing with. Today bike now does not start, battery voltage down to 12.55.....
Follow the negative wire from the battery post, look from the foot brake side , just below the throttle cam towards rear. A bit of advice, both my 07 Versys and 2015 had corrosion, the 2015 is even harder. On a angle, easy to cross thread. Take the bolt out and the ring crimp, cut a V notch just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt, it is now something similar to a fork terminal, start the bolt by hand, slip this connection in after two full threads are engaged. Use a good dielectric grease after scotch briting the aluminum, consider 50 amp passes through that terminal, aluminum oxide is a insulator.
As to starting, explain, does the starter engage? I need that info to understand where to go next. Good information and in case you read this before I come back.

#1 Not starting as the starter doesn't turn over. Kill switch is good, hitting the start button does nothing Please hook up a battery tender / charger, do not key off, I want several pushes of the start button, 1 second each, does the headlight come on . This proves the start solenoid is engaging but the contacts have failed ( electrically it is a flaw in the circuit design by Kawasaki , at 14 volts, the collapsing magnetic field of the start solenoid is great enough to bring the headlight relay on )

#2 if the above describes your bike, key on, take a large screwdriver and short out the two allen head cap screws at the main fuse, be aware this is your positive main feed to the start solenoid, so touching ground however that could happen I don't know, but maybe you don't have a large screwdriver and used something else that contacted the frame--just a heads up.
I need more info if the above isn't your case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Follow the negative wire from the battery post, look from the foot brake side , just below the throttle cam towards rear. A bit of advice, both my 07 Versys and 2015 had corrosion, the 2015 is even harder. On a angle, easy to cross thread. Take the bolt out and the ring crimp, cut a V notch just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt, it is now something similar to a fork terminal, start the bolt by hand, slip this connection in after two full threads are engaged. Use a good dielectric grease after scotch briting the aluminum, consider 50 amp passes through that terminal, aluminum oxide is a insulator.
As to starting, explain, does the starter engage? I need that info to understand where to go next. Good information and in case you read this before I come back.

#1 Not starting as the starter doesn't turn over. Kill switch is good, hitting the start button does nothing Please hook up a battery tender / charger, do not key off, I want several pushes of the start button, 1 second each, does the headlight come on . This proves the start solenoid is engaging but the contacts have failed ( electrically it is a flaw in the circuit design by Kawasaki , at 14 volts, the collapsing magnetic field of the start solenoid is great enough to bring the headlight relay on )

#2 if the above describes your bike, key on, take a large screwdriver and short out the two allen head cap screws at the main fuse, be aware this is your positive main feed to the start solenoid, so touching ground however that could happen I don't know, but maybe you don't have a large screwdriver and used something else that contacted the frame--just a heads up.
I need more info if the above isn't your case.
Going to work on all of the above - will report back tomorrow, thank you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going to work on all of the above - will report back tomorrow, thank you!
Ok- have done the work- holy moly is that screw difficult to get at. The starter IS turning over. Put fully charged battery back in and starts perfectly, as it always seems to do....should I just try to ride and see if I have the usual issue?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts