Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Just had fun toying with my 2 bikes, axle on 2014+ DL1000 are 25mm and Versys 650 is 20mm, so this is not fitting, you must have a 2012 or earlier model, disks are slightly too big too

I think the Versys looks awesome with this 19 inch wheel ! :D
no serious fitment issues for the use of those wheels, just takes a little fiddling.

i would have used the late model DL1000 wheels myself, but i couldn't find a set at the price i was willing to pay, then went with 17/19 spokes.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I've read your threads, this is some serious work you've done, congrats !
thanks, i'm used to looking at this type of swap. the other avenue is a set of 20x52-15 wheel bearings which are readily available. you would still need wheel spacers, seals, and a 20mm ID hub spacer. the problem with the swap isn't fitment, it's finding the used wheels at a good price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks, i'm used to looking at this type of swap. the other avenue is a set of 20x52-15 wheel bearings which are readily available. you would still need wheel spacers, seals, and a 20mm ID hub spacer. the problem with the swap isn't fitment, it's finding the used wheels at a good price.
Yeah i know, you have done some incredible work on your Versys

Just made some temporary bushing and got the bike outside to get a feeling of the wheel and i must say:

Wow, this feels like a big bike with this 19 inch wheel on the front, the ergo was good but now it's great, it rolls on uneven terrain a lot better and have a lot more confidence on slippery surface, i won't use my 2014 dl1000 wheel

I just bought a 2003 DL1000 front wheel on Ebay for 200$ with esthetic damage only, will install in a few weeks when i receive it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took some measurement for the fender, this is with the 17 inch wheel but the fender at 19 inch height, forks fully compressed

This is extremely tight fit for the crash bars, the fender might lightly touch under full compression but should not do any damage

The right brake hose holder will need to be modded

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Green Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Green Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car

Green Hood Automotive design Carbon Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great work!
What about the ABS?
Screw that ABS !

Just kidding, i could try fitting an ABS disc but since the front wheel mod is to improve offroad driveability which would defeat the purpose, i like having ABS DISABLED much better as it gives me a feeling of freedom

I'm the kind of guys who likes to randomly make brake slides from time to time :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wonderful!
Can you show us more detail on the the fender raiser ?
Does the fender bolt hit any of the fork hardware?
Look at the post #8 for close up pictures

I've made threaded holes directly in the hardware, and not threaded holes that screws in stock forks threaded holes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts