Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$24 CDN Go Pro / SJ4000 Clone from Wish/Geek

Summary
This camera kit was actually $24 CDN shipped to Canada, so guessing about $20 USD shipped to mainland US. I've since figured out it is a clone of an SJ4000 sports camera. It looks identical except it has no brand markings. Geek/Wish include the same camera in many different kits, the difference between the kits being included accessories like mounts and other stuff. In summary this camera is a phenomenal deal at the price but don't expect fantastic video quality either. See sample

·
Registered
75 Posts
Before I bought a gopro I bought a cheap camera. I figured I didn't need a fancy camera, it should all be close to the same quality. It wasn't. It was so crap tastic, I sent it back, and it was about $100.

They all might be HD and 1080 on paper, and they are. But the difference is how it handles the light, stabilizing, focusing, and processing those frames per second.

Your editied video looks like you just got done watching a bunch of Tarantino movies :grin2:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can give you a better technical breakdown, but in ANY camera, the thing to look for is the chipset, and most of the chinese knockoffs are doing some funky stuff and using chipsets that are nowhere near the quality of the good cameras. In particular, most of them double frames to get to the framerate of choice, so like a 24fps cam is 12fps with each frame doubled to hit 24, 60fps is either 2x30 or 4x15.

If you want a FABULOUS camera, check out the Xiaomi Yi, just be careful where you buy it. Amazon is safe, as is gearbest and banggood. Uses the same chipset as the GoPro Hero 3+ and it's actually unlocked so you can fiddle with the firmware if you're so inclined. Most days you can be in them under $65. 1080p60fps or [email protected], wifi, bluetooth, etc etc.

Basically all of Xiaomi's stuff is great, fwiw.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't think cellphones provide such bad quality vid's do they??
Here's one l did from my steamed up truck just the other day with my hand held (sorry officer) cellphone......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEqIm4MTnE
True, though I've not seen a camera that does the horrid vertical letterbox crap that you get when people take video incorrectly on their phones.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you want a FABULOUS camera, check out the Xiaomi Yi, just be careful where you buy it. Amazon is safe, as is gearbest and banggood. Uses the same chipset as the GoPro Hero 3+ and it's actually unlocked so you can fiddle with the firmware if you're so inclined. Most days you can be in them under $65. 1080p60fps or [email protected], wifi, bluetooth, etc etc.

Basically all of Xiaomi's stuff is great, fwiw.
Do they have an amazon store? Or do you have a preferred amazon seller?

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Doh! It appears there was a very transparent peel away over the lens window on the waterproof box, that was responsible for the initial terrible video quality. Video quality is still not fantastic but is improved. Video was shot at 30 fps and 1080p.

Noticing Princess Auto (Harbor Freight in Canada) has this identical camera in their flyer from $89.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm a tight wad when it comes to buying some things, but action cameras is one of those things I would recommend spending the money on and getting a reputable one. I use my son's GoPro when I mountain bike and kayak, and the quality of video and the durability of the unit are top notch. A lot of things are truly "you get what you pay for" and action cameras are in that category.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts