Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little searching and I know I've read about this before and have spoken with other members on this topic but I didn't see a thread dedicated to swapping the parts from the right fork into your left fork.

Just got my left fork rebuilt with the guts from an ebay right fork, and I put the shorter spacer in. Gonna to the right fork this afternoon but now I'm wondering about that spacer. Should at least 1 of the forks have the longer spacer? I travel and with the stock set up I was getting some good front end dive on moderate to heavy breaking with a fully loaded bike. Wondering if running two short spacers would make that worse. Also wondering if running 2 long spacers would be a cheap easy "upgrade" if someone didnt wanna change out their springs?

The ebay fork had a slight bend in it but I was able to straighten everything out well enough to use it. Went back together fine. Didn't do anything with the shims, although now I'm wondering if I should have.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I did a little searching and I know I've read about this before and have spoken with other members on this topic but I didn't see a thread dedicated to swapping the parts from the right fork into your left fork.

Just got my left fork rebuilt with the guts from an ebay right fork, and I put the shorter spacer in. Gonna to the right fork this afternoon but now I'm wondering about that spacer. Should at least 1 of the forks have the longer spacer? I travel and with the stock set up I was getting some good front end dive on moderate to heavy breaking with a fully loaded bike. Wondering if running two short spacers would make that worse. Also wondering if running 2 long spacers would be a cheap easy "upgrade" if someone didnt wanna change out their springs?

The ebay fork had a slight bend in it but I was able to straighten everything out well enough to use it. Went back together fine. Didn't do anything with the shims, although now I'm wondering if I should have.
But isn't right fork damping and left compression? so you will get two forks with damping. I am not sure how this would work. also I am not sure which model you have; kawa changed the design of the forks for the new model.

adding a longer spacer will increase the preload (sag), but will not have effect on front diving. i personally hate front diving. the only way to decrease it, is to fit harder springs. more viscosity fork oil will help a little.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Linear springs in the front forks would help diving. They behave differently than a progressive spring does, in that for each inch of travel it takes the same amount of force. Progressive springs are sprung soft at initial and then progressively harder. I've installed linear springs on several motorcycles, from Vstroms to Gold Wings. They really make a difference as you tailor the spring to you, your load and the bikes weight. That being said I don't know what fork springs are in the versys.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Oem are linear. But here the question is what happens if 2 forks are damping. This might cause too slow damping, I don't know. And the left one does not have an adjustment for damping.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In the motorcycle world its not uncommon for different weights of fork oil to be used in each front fork. Honda did that with their ST1300 to change the damping. Motorcycles that have adjustable damping on both forks are designed for this and the internals adjusted accordingly. It would be quite a project to get it to work on the Versys and not sure what the end result would be.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes, I think two forks with damping would work if I tunes them with different viscosity fork oil. Like filling both forks with 5w (different brands have different viscosity index and 5W does represents only approximate viscosity), and if the damping is too slow, 2.5W in the left fork, or even in both forks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after running around town with the new set up for about a week, I like it! I might change to a 2.5W in one side next time I do a service but it's nice. Doesn't dive as fast now. I have the adjustments on both forks for preload and rebound set to their lowest levels.

What does it mean when you say a fork is adjustable for rebound but not compression?

Oil flows through that damper rod on both up and down strokes of the suspension cycle. Does that not mean it's dampening rebound and compression? Just started playing in the world of suspension tuning so I still have a lot to learn.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...What does it mean when you say a fork is adjustable for rebound but not compression?

Oil flows through that damper rod on both up and down strokes of the suspension cycle. Does that not mean it's dampening rebound and compression? Just started playing in the world of suspension tuning so I still have a lot to learn....
It should mean that you can affect the flow on the upstroke (rebound), but you can't change the flow on the downstroke (compression).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should mean that you can affect the flow on the upstroke (rebound), but you can't change the flow on the downstroke (compression).
I guess when taking it apart I just assumed that oil would flow through one adjustable valve that would effect oil flowing in either direction of travel.

so would shocks that are adjustable for rebound and compression be more difficult to service or about the same as the forks on our bikes?

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...so would shocks that are adjustable for rebound and compression be more difficult to service or about the same as the forks on our bikes?...
I have NEVER considered re-building a shock. I send it to an expert when necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts