Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2 blokes on a bike trip and GoPro Faffery

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  BKKPhil 
#1 · (Edited)
I have come to the conclusion that if you use a Gopro with changing surfaces and conditions biking while wishing to catch sounds, it is total faffery.

A trip with various weather conditions and surfaces is an absolute pain with a GP. Should I use the waterproof door? Is it ok to run through this puddle with the open-back door? Should I stop and change it just in case? Or should I bin it and buy another trusty Drift Ghost - S?
GoPro ain't made for motorbike unless you want to look like an absolute numpty and strap it to your head or chest!

No Video

#3 ·
Nice Video....I bought a GoPro in 2010 and hated it. I've been using Drift Cameras ever since.

#4 ·
I'm buying a GoPro today off of a friend for a reasonable price ($100). Planned on mounting it to the bike for the occasional trail rides so I don't much mind mounting it on my helmet or chest. As for road driving, don't know if I really care enough to record the paved portions of my ride.

#5 · (Edited)
The trip as it went.

It’s not been a bad couple of weeks for biking. The first, 2 weeks ago with a couple of mates to Sak aeo. And after a 3 night break in Hong Kong, another 2 day trip to Huay Kok Moo (Seung Pueng) onto Kanchanaburi and around Suphan Buri.

We’d arranged our usual meeting point around Rama 5, but the heavens opened and disrupted our 5am start so we knocked it back a bit. After a few calls, text and a weather report, we decided to meet at 9:15, our usual meeting point that we’ve frequented, or so I though!

Damn Selfies!

Being the tardy person I am, I arrived at 9am just in case my colleague also arrived early. The rain had cleared and the sweltering sun had already broken through. I glanced at my phone; 20 past as I removed my jacket, helmet and gloves while looking for a nearby shop for some water. Nup, nothing around other than ‘The Walk’, a local shopping center. “Ain’t going in there” I thought. Stinking of vanilla as the sweat pi**es down me. Apparently, some woman like that particular natural smell on men. Much better than that sweaty urine smell as I whiffed myself under the neck of my shirt!

I check the time on the phone just as it rang at 9:30 am. I’m about 100 meter past the roundabout where we normally meet, my mate said. Huh! Can’t be I’m already here. Maybe you have ridden past me. Hang on, I’ll ride down. So I ride about 1 km and he’s nowhere to be seen. So I give him a call and ask if there is anything that stand out such as the mass of DIY stores near our meeting point. No, can’t see anything but I am literally 100 meters or so where we meet just past the roundabout. Are you sure you’re not on the opposite side? No. he replies. OK. I’ll ride down a little further. 4km later and at the junction we need to leave he is nowhere to be seen. OK mate, best we meet at the junction as we need to go this way. Wherever you are, head to Phra Pin Klao junction, I am there.
10 minutes later, I am here, sorry mate, I was in the wrong place. I pulled off before the roundabout, not after it. WTF!

So off we ride, into the sun and Thailand’s finest tarmac dwellers. Splitting the odd car and truck with knackered suspension and slicks for a day out at Buriram circuit. After topping the tanks, we headed to Ratchaburi, stopping at our usual coffee stop in Sueng Peung. 10 minute prior, I’d been telling my mate his rear brake needs adjusting. I’d just rebuilt my brakes and expressed how much better they were before slamming, albeit slow, into the parking slab at Amazon as the ABS kicked in on the shiny concrete surface! After a beverage, and a conversation about books, immigration, racism and divorce, we headed on into the oncoming stormy cloud.

Having just installed a new set of VeeRubber VRM-163 for a review that's due, we took things easy. My mate had the same tires with 3000km of road use. The rain fell light and was equally as refreshing as my cold-lemon-tea. I don’t usually drink that poncy stuff but I’d just had 2 McDonalds cappuccinos an hour ago. We plowed on into the cooling rain which was enough so as not to totally drench you. In the distance we could see the broken rain clouds and the sunshine forcing its way through. Our first destination was Huay Kok Moo.

Post more later. Off for a beer.

#6 ·
if your worried about water getting in to the case with the open back door , put some boxing tape over the openings, it will keep water and gunk out but is thinner then the plastic of the water proof case and let sound in a bit better , (just dont use it for under water recording )

#7 ·

After a stop for water for the trip, we passed the scenic area of Swiss Valley Resort that carved through the hills and mountains. As we approached the road’s end we bared left knowing that right, takes us to Krajom, another mountain we ventured. As we turned left, I couldn’t help notice the newly laid tarmac. Although I’d been down here before, I recognized none of it

Following the GPS, we reached a dirt tracked where it prompted us to turn right. As my friend pulled up, he stated we’d been here before with another colleague on his V-Strom, but I thought otherwise. After he displayed his wonderful memory, I couldn’t help but think about our damn meeting point – numerous times I might add, in the sweltering heat at 10,000 degree Celsius! Following the GPS, we headed to a dead end where I suddenly remembered a 4x4 turning somewhere. Putting in 2 and 2 together, we headed back to that point.

#8 · (Edited)

So we found the road which eventually turned into broken rocks, stones and gravel, and what looked like the start of an interesting climb. Although this climb wasn’t as steep as our previous venture to Khao Krajom, the surface of 1 inch gravel and dirt was much harder on the bikes. The VRM-163 tires were doing a stellar job!

We continued on after stopping to adjust my bag, and as thought, we caught up with the little Suzuki 4x4 who took pictures of us on the way up. I guess they found it peculiar as to why we were standing on our bikes! We stopped near the top and had a quick chat with the 4x4 group who were really excited to see my ‘GoPo’ as they call it. I replied in Thai with how pants it was!

#9 ·

We reached the top and and took a 30 minute break before heading back down. Just as we were saddling-up, the policeman who takes care of the area asked why
we were going as we hadn’t seen the most scenic area which was behind us. All kitted up, we said we’ll check it next time as we need to head to Kanchanaburi before the heavens open again.

Down we go!

As we reached the bottom I could here a chaffing noise on the bike. Just before the trip I installed a new chain and has suspected it needed adjusting again.

Later: Need to do some shopping!

#10 ·

We head-on for about an hour and 30 minute passing some great scenery and equally impressive tarmac to Kanchanaburi. If only for a short time before it is softened by the sun and trucks chewed to pieces. We past various beautiful scenic resorts that are empty 90% of the year. One can only assume it is some kind of tax dodge! We’ve covered about 350km thus far and we are both looking forward to reaching Kanchanaburi and Blue Star resort, our luxury stay for the night.

We arrive both weary from our travel, and I am not alone in suffering from a painful derriere. As we reach reception as though donning a pair of John Wayne’s saddle bags, we hand over our license where we are handed the keys for our room in waiting. Both hungry, we take a quick shower, and head to the usual Australain bar for some food that we have frequented on our trips here. Oddly enough, the same punters looked as though they hadn’t moved from a few months ago.

#11 · (Edited)
Both knackered, we made short work of our burger and chips, and after 3 small bottles of beer, I was done. So was Luke after his diet coke!
We walked back to our room chatting how tired we were while not trying to appear like light-weight boring bast**ds. “Shyte, I’m knackered mate, hope I sleep tonight” I said cautiously trying not to appear like a wuss. Fortunately, Luke gave up the bear a few years ago so if I’m not in the mood, it ain’t bad. Being a light drinker with a couple of other buddies who drink for dares, is a bit unnerving for me!

So I get back to my room and there’s no wifi reception. I’m a little annoyed and can’t listen to infowars and Alex Jones. So I lie there looking down at my helmet wondering if I should polish it to pass the time before I sleep. I glance at it from across the room – as it is a large one, but I’m too lazy to reach it and fall soundly asleep. First full night’s sleep I’ve had in months.

Who cares, it was only 350bht! under 10 dollars.

#12 ·
The following morning we left our room, and with no particular place to go, we just hit pot-luck on the GPS and headed in the direction of Suphan Buri. As we tore up the tarmac, we noticed a dirt track that ran at the side of a river/Khlong. We made a swift u-turn and headed to it.

I quickly gave the VRM-163 a blast power-sliding around a few corners. They handled great and the stopping ability was equally impressive. After a minor splash that ruined the GoPro, we cut through a village before heading in the direction of home. Luke and I are quite impulsive and if we see something of interest we will check it out.

Our route back involved a cut through a quarry with some great scenes upon the way. About 750km in total I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.