Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I'm loaded up and headed for The Dragon on Saturday. I'll meet one of my sons there and hope The Dragon doesn't breath fire and brimstone on us. Trying to make it for a couple of days between weather fronts and it looks like Sunday through Tuesday is going to be pretty close to perfect weather.

I've been keeping my son's Versy here in Dallas while he has been working claims in New Jersey but he'll put his in the back of his truck and take it back to New Jersey to ride New England in the Spring between claims.

It was a challenge getting those two bikes in the truck by myself. I built a special two bike rack for this occasion as you can see in one of the pictures along with a removable winch. I also took the trunks and windshields off as there is no need to create additional drag during this 14 hour drive to N. Carolina.

Pictures to follow................I hope.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You're rack is clever. I see the offset for the handlebars. You just can't leave well enough alone :D. Great job.
While on the Dragon. The good advice I got was "make sure you stay to the right of your lane, don't go near the yellow lines" (trucks come over those lines). Great road, lots of fun, I got the stickers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Take your first few runs of the dragon slow................if try to run hot, the dragon will breath fire...............

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take your first few runs of the dragon slow................if try to run hot, the dragon will breath fire...............
Good advice and that was already in my plans. I didn't get to be this old by being stupid. Now if I can just get that through to my son!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Dragon is fun, but sometimes pretty crowded on weekends. Make sure you explore other roads in the area too. The Cherohala (165) is always fun and (360) out of Tellico Plains is pictureque.

For more of the tight stuff try (39) west out of Tellico to (315) down to Reliance, TN. Then take (30S) to (64E) along the Ocoee River to (68N) back to Tellico. Fun, fun.

I'll be sure to look for you around Tellico Plains on Sunday afternoon if you're around. Look for a blue Versys with the windshield turned up side down.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like a good idea for Sunday... Maybe I'll see you up there. Ride safe. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Did the Dragon last week on the way to Moonshine. Nothing like doing it on a Tuesday in April...no traffic, no enforcement, no foliage to make dark shadows, just twisty windy fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As of yet, I have not been to the dragon, but plan to do so. I suspect a Versys would do very well in those curves. I heard of a guy who ran the dragon on a naked SV650 and he was able to hold his own against Gixxers and Ninja's in the curves. I suspect the Versys would give simliar results with a good rider.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Well, I got back about 1:30 this morning and here are a couple of pics. I'm going to upload video of actually running the Dragon a little later today when I can focus. Watching some of them scared the H--- out of me. I must have been insane. ....
Don - NEXT time you wanna do something like that, think WEST. Try AZ366 up Mount Graham just S and E of Safford, AZ. (Check it out on MapQuest....)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's the latest video of out trip. My son "machine13" put this together and he didn't even get to go. We'll make it up to him. If you want some videos put together give him a shout. It's what he does for a living.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts