Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK..... been a lurker since 08, now I actually own one. made the deal today with Paulson's in Seattle. got a new (2015) 650LT in green. good price, good allowance on my trade in and in general, they really worked with me to make it happen. I'm Alaska (1st snow today) & will ride it home in the spring. it's going to be stored with a friend until then, though I plan to come down after Christmas to break it in.

so... first question is.... engine crash guards and skid plate for the '15. whats out there and what works. I've looked at Twisted Throttle and Happy Trails & am not sure if those fit.

It will mostly be a pavement & gravel road bike. I expect I'll put more aggressive tires on it eventually... maybe a 2nd set of wheels
I'm no stranger to touring, ADV, or dual sport riding so I'm ok on luggage etc, but anything else the bike needs?

lookin forward to hangin with yous guys

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Welcome. Wish I had a brand new V but, for now, I'm happy with my 08. Looks like you created the rather spectacular steam punk Honda, correct?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ya thanks guys... got a great price on a '15 & traded in my old 1100GS (which was a good bike). I have a 2nd GS1150 & I will park that in Tacoma this spring and bring the V up for my AK pavement bike. it will do some dirt road duty like Dawson (Taylor Highway), Denali Highway and Kennicott.

got more pix of the Capt Nemo bike if there is interest & a place to post

back to my questions...

crash bars & skid plate options

also.... knobbie(ish) front tire? what brand (big fan of the TKC80) how big and are some of you raising the front fender?

are the wheels the same for all years?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
crash bars & skid plate options

also.... knobbie(ish) front tire? what brand (big fan of the TKC80) how big and are some of you raising the front fender?

G'day from down under. Have a chat with Alaskajeff and fasteddie about skid plates and knobbies.
Most of us here have lots of knowledge and advice on the older models which use different crash bars and I suspect the skid plates are different as well.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
got more pix of the Capt Nemo bike if there is interest & a place to post
I would like to see more photos. I think that "Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion' would be the appropriate place to post them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks mate... I kina know Alaskajeff through the AK circle. btw, I have friends in NSW, Victoria too. I was invited over & toured there a few years ago... long story. loved Oz, beauty.

ya... I'll post Nemo pix tonight... check later

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Beezer, welcome aboard.

I've been looking a lot at crash bars and frame sliders for my '15 650LT. There are a number of choices for crash bars. The '15 must have some significant change in the frame or engine mounts because none of the previous year crash bars are listed as fitting the '15. The one problem with all of the '15 crash bars is they look as if they don't stick out far enough to protect the front turn signals. When those hit the pavement (or dirt), they crack the mid cowling plastic fairing piece they attach to. Superglue works well to repair that plastic, btw. Refitting the turn signal is a fiddling job, too.

The foot pegs and the handle bar ends hit the pavement, with nothing else showing any damage other than the turn signal and the mid fairing it is mounted to. I've not done a slide, just a tip-over, but I tend to think the lower engine parts are fairly well clear of hitting the ground, as long as the foot peg doesn't come off in a slide.

Dimotiv makes a crash bar that looks in the photo as if it sticks pretty far out and may, but not definitely, protect the turn signal.
DIMOTIV Moto Gene -- Engine Guard

SW-Motech bars for the '15 appear to only protect the upper area of the engine. They are inconspicuous looking if that is important to you.
SW-MOTECH Crashbars Engine Guards for Kawasaki Versys 650 '15 - TwistedThrottle.com

RDMoto also makes a crash bar which looks like it protects the engine area pretty well but doesn't look like it will protect the turn signal. The price is pretty good on their website, too. Shipping is a lot less than on ebay.
http://www.rdmoto-usa.com/en/standalone/product/35383

·
Super Moderator
18,974 Posts
...also.... knobbie(ish) front tire? what brand (big fan of the TKC80) how big and are some of you raising the front fender?

I run a TKC80 120/70x17 on my AZ bike (Yes - wheels are the same!), and then you do NOT need the fender raised. Here's a pic of mine WITH raised fender (I WAS using a 130/80x17 Tourance before the TKC).

:welcome:

and here it is w/ the 130/80x17 Tourance

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good stuff! Barb (AK Leather) (home the sheepskin butt pad) has tires 1/2 price until stock is gone... was hoping to stock up before the end of the year. thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts