Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding for about a season, tore into my 2007 to do valve check and other maintenance. Got to the point of removing the top cover of the cam chain only to find a major issue. The cover had a chuck missing and the exhaust cam "guide ring" was completely sheered. Assuming this happened before I got the bike, the pieces didn't seem to hit anything vital, but now that I'm in here, I gotta figure out how to replace it. I can find a few cams here and there but wanted to see if anyone had a reputable source for one. However, I cannot find a cover, most part websites had the picture in the diagram, but no item code. This is my first bike, bought it cheap with the hopes to work on it myself and learn more about maintenance, but this is starting to look a bit out of my wheelhouse. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Open to selling it as is for a heavily discounted price as well.

Imgur link to pictures:

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
Seems I remember that those 'pieces' come as a "set" being machined together w/ the head.

Anybody?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, bad news - because the cam covers are machined together with the head, kawasaki doesn't sell cam covers individually as replacement parts. You are supposed to replace the entire head. You can sometimes find used cam cover sets sold on ebay, but up to you whether you want to take the risk of putting a used cam cover on your current head and hoping the tolerance b/w camshaft and cover is correct. One possibility might be to buy a used cover and then measure the tolerance using Plastigage to see if it's in spec. Good luck, and sorry you are dealing with this. Sounds like the seller wasn't honest with you.

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
One option is to find used, since your unit is intact as far as the mounting bolts, you can get the plastic gauge, insert and measure what your broken one is , get the exhaust used one and check the same way. A word of caution, these caps are precision machined, they need to be mounted squarely, bolts should go in by your fingers easily , you also need a inch pound torque wrench. All bolts and threads need to be oil free ( several people have damaged bolts and threads ), if you have oil on them use brake cleaner. As the torque on those bolts are low, lubed torque is roughly 60% of dry torque. The torque specified is dry torque. Secondly you could take the used cam cap and old one to a automotive machine shop, have them measure the used and broken one. It is possible they match or could be machined to match the old one. Several similar posts;

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
Many of the Versys parts are interchangeable with the 650 Ninja, someone more familiar can step in and post.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
Another solution would be to buy a GOOD used head (OR engine), c/w the cam caps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2009 Ninja 650 motor that I'm slowly picking apart for parts. It would have the part you need, but as others pointed out, the cams are machined as a set. That said, if you think my part can get you going, send me a private message.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
I have a 2009 Ninja 650 motor that I'm slowly picking apart for parts. It would have the part you need, but as others pointed out, the cams are machined as a set. That said, if you think my part can get you going, send me a private message.
It's the HEADS and CAPS that are machined as sets, not the cams themselves.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's the HEADS and CAPS that are machined as sets, not the cams themselves.
Absolutely right as usual Eddie.

Andrew, It'd be a good Idea to buy the head complete
from hwit cniht ... of course on the proviso that it's all
in serviceable condition... and if the Ninja head is compatible....
Edit: I just read hwits above post so ignore my above...

Also "Motorcycle Wreckers" may be a source for a complete used head.

·
Registered
43 Posts

in serviceable condition.
the header has some kind of valve issue requiring valve adjustments every 1000 miles or thereabout. I showed it to two different Kawi dealerships and neither could point to the fault. Their theory is material fatigue of the valve stems.

·
Registered
235 Posts

in serviceable condition... and if the Ninja head is compatible....
Edit: I just read hwits above post so ignore my above...

Also "Motorcycle Wreckers" may be a source for a complete used head.
the header(sic) has some kind of valve issue requiring valve adjustments every 1000 miles or thereabout. I showed it to two different Kawi dealerships and neither could point to the fault. Their theory is material fatigue of the valve stems.
That's more speculation than theory.

It's far more likely to be "Valve Seat Recession"
causing the gaps to close..
Whoever you were talking to have the
credibility of a three sided square.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts