Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. So I thought Id try the non dampened sprocket prior to shelling out the $40 for the OE 16t. Well, my OE 16t came in today so I decided to swap them out.

I had considerable gear noise coming from the front sprocket and I think the pictures will show why. Im also not sure if the new chain I installed is bum or not, but unloaded (sitting on the stand) it has quite a bit of lateral movement. This may go away once its actually under load, but Im not sure. Ill keep an eye on it.

You can see in the pics the wear, after less than 200 miles, on the inside of the sprocket. The outside is the one with no visible wear. Perhaps a shim of the proper thickness on the inside of the sprocket would bring it into alignment... Or maybe its my chain.

The dampened sprocket on the same chain is quiet as can be. No gear noise or chain noise at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
The issue lies at the bottom left part of the 4th pic! :p (kidding)

My OE sprocket was totally worn on one side only and I thought it was strange. The noise with a non-dampened sprocket is a little un-nerving I will agree.

How is the chain wearing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue lies at the bottom left part of the 4th pic! :p (kidding)
Perhaps youre onto something!!!

My OE sprocket was totally worn on one side only and I thought it was strange. The noise with a non-dampened sprocket is a little un-nerving I will agree.

How is the chain wearing?
I didnt mind the noise... I was really looking to see if the dampened sprocket smoothed out the neutral to first shift.... And it does just a bit.

Chain looks fine. I finally just got all the packing grease cleaned off it and lubed with the Dupont spray. I may try a different chain just for kicks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not use any shims on the aftermarket sprocket. I think it could have used a couple thousandths behind it. I did notice the aftermarket showed more of the splines prior to installing the washer and nut.

The OE sprocket moves quite a bit while spinning the chain in 1st while on the stand. So I wonder if the majority of the wear is because of the chain.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I had an un-dampened AFAM 16T on my then new Versys. Sprocket wore severely on the inside too until it was snagging the chain by 2500 miles. Original chain did wear unevenly from the start with it, and had to be replaced along with the sprockets.
Now, my DID VM520 X-ring with dampened 15T and 45T rear (150/70 tire) is the cat's ass. :thumb:

·
0 Posts
espcially the last two photo's, the splines/overall width looks very thin? How do they compare to the OEM? Def for a 520? It looks like it has way to much side movement and hence the chain is not engaging enough/grooving?.

My JT 16t, way back when/could'nt find a match was slightly thicker than the OEM, so I ground it to match. The noise was fine till 900 miles into a trip, then gradually came on in big way.that wore on one side too. I shimmed out to no real avail.

I suspect the chain eventualy wears the root and start making contact with the sideplates = noisy. The dampers therfore doing their job on the OEM.

I ws meaning to laser align the chain to sprocket but went damped by then and never gort round to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't even think about checking thickness between the two. I do believe the AFAM is thinner.

Also, the 16t OE sprocket didn't have a "this side out" side.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Actually, I discovered this way back...{page 20 something}. The aftermarket sprocket I used {SunStar} has a distinct wear pattern in the inside edge, that looks like a snowflake. What I think is happening, rather than an alignment issue, is the tolerance between the output shaft splines and the sprocket are greater than the stock sprocket. The torque might cause the sprocket to "twist" albeit slightly possibly causing this wear. Just a thought. I just haven't had the time to measure it up......I checked my alignment very carefully and it is about as close to perfect as possible, but...if off, will create this "torque"....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts