Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have read the various posts about gearing the X300 down a bit and it seems that everything goes smoothly with a 15 tooth counter sprocket. I am going to have mine installed on my 600 mile service but I was wondering about the 16 tooth counter sprocket.

If I have a 16 tooth counter sprocket installed I understand an engine light will go on. I think I also read that the gear indicator also stops working. So my questions are:

1) Does putting a 16 tooth counter sprocket hurt anything at all?

2) What lights or indicators will no longer work?

I don't think a 16 tooth sprocket can hurt the bike at all but with some of the indicators not working could there be any problems with it? I am going to use the 15 tooth first of course, but what will happen if I decide to install a 16 tooth sprocket. I have read many posts but with some having a problem and others not, I was starting to get a little uncertain on what will happen with a 16 tooth counter sprocket. Thanks for any info or advice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What you have read is correct. My recommendation is to stay with a 15 tooth sprocket.

I changed out my 14 tooth primary sprocket with a 15 tooth SunStar sprocket. Took it for a short test ride as it started to snow and get cold. I am surprised at how much of a difference 1st and 2nd gear are. Will go for longer ride this weekend (I hope) Just a note of info, my air drive impact gun would not break loose the sprocket nut. And no way was I going to loosen it by hand with only hand tools. Had to borrow a friends electric impact gun. 250 pounds capacity. Spun it off with out a batting an eye. Should have borrowed it first. Would have saved a bunch of time and muscle effort.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you change to the 16 tooth sprocket you will lose the gear indicator and have the engine fault light on permanently.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will just have the 15 tooth sprocket put on at my 600 mile checkup. I just don't really want the engine light on or the gear indicator not to work. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts