Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just swapped over the front sprocket to a 16T. I like it a lot as I always thought the standard 15/46 gearing was too short. I've also switched to a 150/70 rear tyre size, which is a bit taller than the standard 160/60.

It has corrected the speedo pretty much 100%. According to my GPS, 100km/h on the speedo is truly 101km/h on the GPS. RPM at 100km/h in 6th gear is now 4500rpm.

Having said that, it still feels too revvy at higher speeds like 115 to 120km/h and I'm now thinking about dropping 2 or 3 teeth on the rear as well.

Is anyone running 16/44 or 16/43 (or equivalent like 15/40 or 15/41)? If you are, how do you like it? Does it take too much away from the fun factor? How does it perform at highway speeds (100km/h +)?

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one has anything to offer on this, I guess Ill go ahead with it and be the guinea pig. Whats the worst that could happen?

Ill report back once its done and give some feedback for anyone who is considering doing the same.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Since no one has anything to offer on this, I guess Ill go ahead with it and be the guinea pig. Whats the worst that could happen?
You might stall more often when starting from rest, or experience clutch problems from slipping it to get going.... :goodluck:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yeah I think that's be overkill, especially with the 150/70. You're already a bit faster than indicated speed. Relation between indicated speed and indicated RPM won't change by the way, no matter what gearing or rear tire you have... Which make and model of rear tire do you have on?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think that's be overkill, especially with the 150/70. You're already a bit faster than indicated speed. Relation between indicated speed and indicated RPM won't change by the way, no matter what gearing or rear tire you have... Which make and model of rear tire do you have on?

Id just like to be able to cruise at 110km/h whilst keeping the engine in the 4000 to 4500rpm sweet spot.

My only concerns with it are making 1st gear too tall so that a) it requires a lot of clutch slippage to get going from a stand still, and b) it offers little assistance by way of engine braking when going down steep firetrails.

Im currently using Avon Distanzias, but once theyre gone, it'll be Metzeler Tourance or Michelen Anakee 2's for everyday use and TKC80's or Mitas E10 or Kenda Big Blocks for any serious trips where its likely mud and/or sand will be encountered.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For the reasons already mentioned, you better not go taller than 16/46, especially with a 150/70.
The reasons I provided or the ones about speedo error?

Im not concerned with what the speedo says. I have a GPS that tells me how fast Im going.

But the 1st gear issue does concern me. Concern might be too strong a word. Im intrigued to find out, might be a better way to put it.

Mind you, the 16/46 gearing gave first gear 7% more legs, so 16/43 should only give it 14% more legs over the 15/46 gearing.

When I ride my Blackbird, the stupidly tall gearing it has from the factory (17/45 final drive pushing 250kg plus rider) ensures adequate clutch is used to get off the line, whats the difference doing the same with the V?

But having a shortish first gear for steep firetrails is handy.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
16/46 is 6.67% taller than 15/46.
16/43 is 14.1% taller than 15/46.

My 150/70 Conti Trail Attack is relatively wide and low compared to other 150/70's, and it is also recommended for our 4.5" wide rim... Pirelli's Scorpion Trail 150/70 is relatively narrow and tall. On its own, it's about the equivalent of going from stock 15/46 sprockets to 15/43.5.

Dunlop D220 160/60-17 ----- Conti Trail Attack 150/70-17----- Pirelli Scorpion Trail 150/70-17

Inflated width: .... 6.4" ............ 6.25" (0.97656) .........................5.87" (0.91719)
Inflated diameter: 24.8" ...........25.82" (1.04113) .......................26.26" (1.05887)

So a tallish Pirelli Scorpion Trail 150/70 (5.887% taller than stock 160/60) for example with 16/46 gearing is 12.946% taller than 15/46 with stock 160/60.
Scorpion Trail 150/70 with 16/43 gearing is 20.82% taller than 15/46 with stock 160/60.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It might feel nicer at freeway speeds, but with a fair loss in grunt and overall performance, as well as increased strain on the clutch upon launching and uner load in high gears. You'd regret it mostly from a lack of low speed capability and tractability in tighter and more technical woods, dirt and hilly terrain riding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Avon site says the 150/70 Distanzia is 640mm, which is 25.19" for you imperial folk. I just meausred it and inflated its 645mm (25.39") So, its not a tall tyre compared with the ones you have provided details on. In fact, its only 2.5% taller than the stock 160/70 Dunlop you quoted.

Ive been using gearingcommander.com to get some info, and its telling me that with the tyre and sprocket changes Ive made, my V should be doing 106km/h at 4500rpm. My GPS is telling me that Im only doing 100km/h at 4500rpm. Which do I believe? Id have thought the GPS reading should be close to 100% accurate.

If the gearingcommander site could be trusted, then I wouldnt need to go as low as 43T, and may be able to compromise on a 45T.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You're comparing your new actual speed to original indicated speed which was about 7.5% over actual.
How worn is your rear 150/70 Distanzia?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to my GPS, the change to a 150/70 tyre and a 16T sprocket has corrected the speedo to within 1%. But, the same information put into the gearingcommander site suggests otherwise. Its telling me that my speed at 4500rpm is 106km/h.

With just the tyre change, 4800rpm was 100km/h according to my GPS.

So, maybe the gearingcommander site retains the 7% speedo error regardless of what information you punch in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either way, Im gonna try something taller by way of a smaller sprocket on the rear. Whether I go 43T, 44T, 45T Im not sure yet.

Now that I think of it, I recall reading some dude on here was about to go to 15/41 gearing. Ill see if I can dig up his post and send him a message.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Why not try 16/46 and then decide if you need to have less teeth on the rear? I find that with 15/44 is good for cruising yet haven't loss much of the grunt in acceleration, although I wish I can have the best of both worlds. I wouldn't go 15/43 as my daily commute is not on a Highway, and the twisties won't be fun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've already done the 16T front change and I don't think it's enough for me.

The twisties will always be fun, there's 6 gears to choose from!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Give it a try and let us know, your needs are different from others. You'll know if you went too far. Just don't throw out the old parts.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
My only concerns with it are making 1st gear too tall so that a) it requires a lot of clutch slippage to get going from a stand still, and b) it offers little assistance by way of engine braking when going down steep firetrails.

Im currently using Avon Distanzias, but once theyre gone, it'll be Metzeler Tourance or Michelen Anakee 2's for everyday use and TKC80's or Mitas E10 or Kenda Big Blocks for any serious trips where its likely mud and/or sand will be encountered.
MOST guys want to gear DOWN for firetrails, NOT UP! :goodluck:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im putting 16/42 on my bike in next month. I hope fore low RPM on highway
And no trouble from still stand, it will then have about 90 HP on the rearwheel
Now it has 82,5HP Im taking a tour fore 8000 km therefore the low RPM

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey, to each their own I suppose. To me what makes the vs such a fun bike is that it's really punchy for a mid-displacement twin, and pretty much always in the power-band. Oh, and there is another "sweet spot" at 6-8k!

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Im putting 16/42 on my bike in next month. I hope fore low RPM on highway
And no trouble from still stand, it will then have about 90 HP on the rearwheel
Now it has 82,5HP Im taking a tour fore 8000 km therefore the low RPM
I expect that if you are getting 90 hp at the rear wheel, that it will have LESS torque down low, and that your clutch will take a beating. :goodluck:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts