Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking of trying 16/43 gearing on my versys because of the 30 mile each way thruway ride to work. i dont think prolonged periods of 5500-6000 rpms is going to be good for longevity on the engine, so i want to try and tone it down a bit. anyone here tried that gearing? i know its a big difference, im just wondering if it will have enough get up and go still?

also, will a zx-6r rear sprocket fit on my versys?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have experience with different sprokets. But I don't know why you think that a motorcycle that the redline is at 9500rpm is doing harm to the engine cruising at those rpm.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think its particularly doing harm to the engine, just that over the course of 20-50k miles, it might last a bit longer/have less wear running lower rpms. that, and i might get a boost im mpg, less vibs, longer chain life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking at part numbers for ergal rear sprockets on ebay, it shows the same specs and part number between the zx-6r and the versys 650 rear sprocket, so i ordered a set of used sprockets with 3k miles on them, 16/43 together for $35.99 and a brand new speedo healer v4 for $60! so $100 for speedo correction and gear change!

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
was thinking of trying 16/43 gearing on my versys because of the 30 mile each way thruway ride to work. i dont think prolonged periods of 5500-6000 rpms is going to be good for longevity on the engine, so i want to try and tone it down a bit. anyone here tried that gearing?...
My '08 has 85,219 miles on it w/ STOCK gearing (15/46). It doesn't use oil, runs GOOD, runs STRONG, and gets from 50 to 55 mpg all the time; while

my '15 has 71,xxx kms (44,120 miles) on it w/ STOCK gearing (15/46). It doesn't use oil, runs GOOD, runs STRONG, and gets from 55 to 60+ mpg all the time.

WHY change...?

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it just seems like its at too high of a cruising rpm for me when im going that fast. i always feel like im looking for that 7th gear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
it just seems like its at too high of a cruising rpm for me when im going that fast. i always feel like im looking for that 7th gear.
It really depends on the bike/engine.

My Versys lives happy between 5500 and 8500rpm. In other hand it doesn't like to drop from 3000rpm.

I usually cruise at highway speeds between 5500-6000rpm, that gives me 130-140 km/h that gives me a good speed for long highway journeys and a sweet spot of vibration free traveling. With plenty of reserve If I need it.

I had a Lancia car that I could push up to 11.000rpm If I needed/wanted. I would be crazy If I pushed my Peugeot pass 6500rpm, I would probably killed the engine. It depends on the engine.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
That seems like a pretty extravagant change. I've heard of people either going up to a 16 in the front OR a 43-44 in the rear, but not both. I'd think it wouldn't have much off the line with changing both. I just ordered a new chain and sprockets for my '16 and ordered the stock 15 front and a 44 for the rear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can always try just the 16 up front or the 43 in the rear and change from there, or go back to just one of them if i dont like the 16/43 setup. im just looking to get that overdrive on the thruway for cruising.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I did the 16 up front and I really like the difference, especially for cruising on the highway. I did the ECU flash and the combo with the 16 tooth is spot on for me. Power is fine and she pulls cleanly on hills.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That seems like a pretty extravagant change. I've heard of people either going up to a 16 in the front OR a 43-44 in the rear, but not both. I'd think it wouldn't have much off the line with changing both. I just ordered a new chain and sprockets for my '16 and ordered the stock 15 front and a 44 for the rear.
Exactly! 16/43 will not change the ratio. 16/46 is equivalent to 15/43 I believe. Going bigger on the front sprocket,like 16/46 should be easier on the chain as the chain doesnt have to bend around as much.Im 15/44,works for me but I may try 16/46 at some point for easier cruising RPMs though youre working the clutch alot in first for off-road...

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
I almost always "try" for 7th, no matter what. Has nothing to do w/ the gearing for ME!

>:)

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
Exactly! 16/43 will not change the ratio. 16/46 is equivalent to 15/43 I believe. Going bigger on the front sprocket,like 16/46 should be easier on the chain as the chain doesnt have to bend around as much.Im 15/44,works for me but I may try 16/46 at some point for easier cruising RPMs though you're working the clutch a lot in first for off-road...
15/46 gives you a ratio of 3.066 to 1.

15/43 gives you a ratio of 2.866 to 1.

16/46 gives you a ratio of 2.875 to 1.

Just be aware that a 16 tooth front gives you very little clearance between the sprocket and engine cases.

AND - that you probably can go faster w/ the 15/46, due to NOT being able to rev as high in 6th gear at 15/43 or 16/46 gearing....

:goodluck:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think the fastest i have been is about 115 or so, and it wasnt limited by rpms, it was a hp/air resistance limit. im not worried about maximizing every possible mph i can wring out of her. if i wanted to go fast, i would buy a suzuki b-king or a bandit, or something along those lines. dont need to get myself into the kind of trouble that comes with mid-triple digit speeds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got the 43 tooth sprocket installed tonight after a failed attempt to get the 16 tooth installed on the front yesterday. after the quick ride down the road tonight, im loving the 43 tooth setup! i still want to try the 16/43 setup, but it might be too much. once i get a decent air impact driver, i'll be able to swap it out real quick.

from what i understand, the 43 tooth will make the speedometer actually accurate now and make the odometer read less miles than i am putting on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts