Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me if the 2 bolts circled in the image below can easily be removed without the bike falling apart?
The cheap made in China engine guard I bought from Amazon didn't come with instructions and these are the 2 bolts that the engine guard connects to. Don't know if I'm supposed to jack the bike up on stands or something or if they can just be removed. Don't want to destroy my bike.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K.
I'll be installing my made in China ghetto engine guard thingies today after work.
Needed to borrow an allen key socket because using a regular allen key just wasn't happening.
I'll upload some pics.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
[What about the bolt in the center?]

I removed one, then reinstalled it w/ blue Loctite, just to check. In the SERVICE MANUAL it calls for 32#/' of torque.

Looking at the schematic I would suggest you do NOT remove BOTH left and right ones at the same time....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so my mechanic friend took care of this during our lunch break today. Apparently you can take the center bolt out as well lol.
They fit pretty well for knockoffs. Saved myself a cool $40 by supporting the Chinese lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have been worrying about that too.

So I started slow.
Just start unscrewing, just to loosen. Do not remove. Do both.
If they can both be turned by finger only, then the engine is holding with enough friction, helped from the other side.

(That not a reason to take your time. Any choc might crack this friction and move down a millimeter and your are in trouble. That would require some inventive jacking I can't help you with)

Do not waste time and put your new toy in place, one screw at a time if possible.
I've put hepco&becker crash bars with success while both bolts were finger removed. GOOD LUCK!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts