Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a photo of how the original top case rack (incl. base plate and all) looks on the bike when the case is not on?

I'm contemplating ordering it and I'd like to know how much uglier my bike's ass would get :) I think I'd ride with the case only on long trips and I don't want an ugly, protruding rack when I'm riding light.

I know the side case mounting points are nice and low-profile but I think I like the practicality of the top case more.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I dont have the oem kawasaski one but here is the one I built my self with a givi rack on it
still need to do some trimming to thin it down on the sides
Nice job. Mind if I ask what the dimensions of your brackets are? (Including the thickness of the steel you used)...

I'm thinking of ordering some stock stainless. I'll fabricate the plate myself, and have the brackets cut/bent to size, then do a black plasti dip to match the grab handles.

Tired of waiting for the aftermarket to ratchet up...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Decided not to fabricate my own... Just ordered the Shad rack, and the Givi Universal plate (for Monokey). Works like a charm. The Shad is *very* solid -- I was pleasantly surprised. Everything fit together with no hassle, no issues...

$68 shipped... (for the rack) from ShadUSA...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sweet! I been waiting to pull the trigger on the Shad mount. Thinking if I get a box at all it would be the 26. I would like to see a pic of it without the mounting plate as I'm thinking to use it for a luggage rack and a possible backrest fabrication. You got the same bike and seat I do. Who'd a thunk it. Thanks for your post.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
This may be a dumb question but with the Shad mount, can I bolt any universal topbox directly to it or will I need an additional mounting plate?

I know some of the Givi's (Monokey) need this additional plate, but don't know if all do.. I'm looking into getting the shad mount and a cheap topbox to last the summer and then eventually upgrade to a quality topbox in the future if needed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every top box that I know of needs a mounting plate, either Monokey, Monolock or some proprietary stuff. Otherwise there's no way to quickly attach and reattach it.

In principle, you could drill holes through a top box's floor and bolt it to the mount somehow, but that doesn't seem right...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Every top box that I know of needs a mounting plate, either Monokey, Monolock or some proprietary stuff. Otherwise there's no way to quickly attach and reattach it.

In principle, you could drill holes through a top box's floor and bolt it to the mount somehow, but that doesn't seem right...
That is exactly what I did with my Pelican 1400 box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts