Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

14T Front Sprocket 47T Rear Sprocket?!

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Smoky 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have picked up a versys for a bit of a steal otherwise I'd probably never had owned one, typically I am a sports bike rider but so many people have raved about the versys and how its ideal for commuting!

Again typically with my other bikes I always carry out a service and change the chain and sprockets purely so I know that from my ownership everything was 'A ok!' Now normally I drop the front sprocket a tooth and raise the rear a tooth, a pretty typical mod for sports bikes I believe, most likely down to no one ever really using 180mph on the road!

Now I have done some research and it seems no one carries out this mod on the versys, again I may be wrong and I realise this bike isn't necessarily a performance bike and that usually those who own these aren't after performance!

Well i've ordered a replacement 14T front sprocket and a renthal 47T rear sprocket plus some titanium to fasten it on!

Just curious of your opinions of this or whether there is a reason this mod is avoided?

Oh and I've noticed the stock front sprocket has that rubber seal, presumably for sound deadening, my guess is I will get a lot more noise?

Cheers guys!

Aleck.

See less See more
#4 ·
Now I have done some research and it seems no one carries out this mod on the versys, again I may be wrong and I realise this bike isn't necessarily a performance bike and that usually those who own these aren't after performance!...
It's NOT a 'performance bike'...? :huh:...NEWS to me! We had a Brit on here who was a VG rider, and he posted videos of him on his V during track-days against stuff like Gixxer 1000s. OF COURSE they "had him" on the straights, but he had THEM in the corners! Maybe someone has a link...?

...Just curious of your opinions of this or whether there is a reason this mod is avoided?...
Probably 'cause it AIN'T necessary.

...Oh and I've noticed the stock front sprocket has that rubber seal, presumably for sound deadening, my guess is I will get a lot more noise?...
You're right - it's for sound deadening. I've replaced SEVERAL countershaft sprockets, ALWAYS w/ ones that DON'T have the rubber. Never noticed any increase in noise (but I wear ear-plugs)....

:goodluck:

#6 ·
It will pull some awesome wheelies with that gearing. I just keep mine above 6 grand if I want to rip out of corners. Your right it's not a performance bike like a ZX10 but it will perform.

#8 ·
Why would it cause a check engine light? The bike doesn't know how fast its turning the rear wheel. Just how fast its turning the shift for the front sprocket. The rest is just gearing and chains connected to the wheel.

#9 · (Edited)
Hornets gearing is at 14T front & 48T rear, I haven't noticed any noise increase or vibration.
The main reason for such gearing is that I needed more torque and a shorter 1 first gear for all my trail raiding I'm doing.
Also, my average highway speed is 75mph at around 6800 RPM's on TKC 80, after 3000 miles with tons of TR2-3 and some 4 trail riding in the Black Hills SD, UP, WI, & MN no issue on my 'final drive'.

If you going to ask me why more torque and a shorter 1 gear because I approach obstacles slow and precise, and the added torque is needed to get over the obstacles aka doing a no speed 'wheelie". With the OEM gearing it is really difficult and lots of work doing a wheelie from almost a standstill 2-5 mph, hence the gearing change and added pop in torque.

BTW, now with my Shoodaben ECU flash, I have earlier ±3k torque, with a butter-smooth throttle application. Now its super fun on the trails yeaaaa thanks Steve @ShoodabenEngineering.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Tire Crankset Auto part

Adventure Wilderness Outdoor recreation Recreation Tree

All-terrain vehicle Off-roading Vehicle Adventure Recreation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.