Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just rolled over 12k on my 08 kle and alls well. No problems.

I was looking at the 12 service and it looks like the only thing it realy requires is an oil, filter and sparkplug change. plus a lot of inspections.

I am old school and from the school of thought that if it is not broke don't fix it. the manuel has a real detailed procedure of takeing the bike apart and inspecting the head and inspecting the Valve clearance.

Is this realy nessesary at 12k miles.

any thoughts.

jt:feedback:

·
Registered
302 Posts
other fellows reported valve clearances to be on limits in shorter mileage.especially the exaust ones.if you want to be sure check them ,you cant go wrong.if i were in such dilemma i would sure check em cause i like thinks to be done correct,at least the 1st time ;) .european models as mine refer to valve clearance check every 48k kilometers though...its up to you.
i would proly change the radiator glycol-water and the brake fluids in two years period (very easy and cheap tasks) but thats just me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Check em at 12, why? Well it has been my experiance (with many different brands of motorcycles) that the first one is where the majority of the time the Exhaust valves need a tweek. Then it seems ... for whatever reason... they stay in adjustment longer after that one. My experiance YMV

·
Registered
15 Posts

I was looking at the 12 service and it looks like the only thing it realy requires is an oil, filter and sparkplug change. plus a lot of inspections.

I am old school and from the school of thought that if it is not broke don't fix it. the manuel has a real detailed procedure of takeing the bike apart and inspecting the head and inspecting the Valve clearance.

any thoughts.

Valve adjustments really are not that hard to do.

Valve clearances usually end up closing or get tighter over time until there is no clearance at all. If you wait until it's broken (burning a valve) the repair cost is going to be expensive.

Hotcams makes shim kits that are about $80. Or you can just take used shims to your dealer to swap out for the ones you need.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious, but the 12K service is a minor inspection - check hoses and fluid levels and that's about it. The sort of stuff you do (or at least should do) every time you go on a ride. The valve clearance inspection and oil change are not due until you hit the 15K mile mark. But, You could do the valve inspection early if you want to be safe. Based on the results reported here (mine included), many bikes have tight valves by the time they get to 15K.

Gustavo

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
A bit confused as to what units you guys are referening too. Is it Kilometers or miles. Mine is 10K kilometres and does it require all those valve clearance check.

The V is good to go anytime and I change oil and filter every 5K Kilometer.

:feedback:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
They're in miles... Valve clearance inspection is recommended at every 15K mile (24K Km), but I already had an exhaust valve clearance just below minimum spec at 7200 Km (4500 miles), so I set all my inlet clearances at 0.18 mm and all my exhaust clearances at 0.26 mm. We'll see how they do in the long run...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious, but the 12K service is a minor inspection - check hoses and fluid levels and that's about it. The sort of stuff you do (or at least should do) every time you go on a ride. The valve clearance inspection and oil change are not due until you hit the 15K mile mark. But, You could do the valve inspection early if you want to be safe. Based on the results reported here (mine included), many bikes have tight valves by the time they get to 15K.

Gustavo
That's good to know. My ZZR-1200 valve adjustment intervals were every 7500 miles but it was very easy to adjust. The ZX14 valve adjustment intervals are every 15,000 miles but the cams have to be removed, then the lifters taken out to get to the shims for replacement, most guys do not need to adjust anything on the first 15,000 mile check.

So my question, do the cams need to be taken out to adjust valves on the Versys? Is it a time consuming project or a piece of cake?

The nice thing about engines, is that over time,. once everything in the engine is fully seated it will reach a point where valve clearances no longer change much at all, and if they do it's very minor.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

any thoughts.

I also just rolled over 12, and I am only doing the oil/filter. I am going to spring for a new washer this time. I don't plan on a plug change until I hit 20K, I don't think it is necessary. Starts as good as ever, doesn't miss. This is not a high maintenance machine, so why make it one?:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Since the valve train is the same as all the previous bikes I see no reason to check mine before 26K; of course, I didn't intend to anyway!! :>)-

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So my question, do the cams need to be taken out to adjust valves on the Versys? Is it a time consuming project or a piece of cake?
Yes, like all shim-under-bucket designs, you have to remove the cams and buckets to get to the shims. It's not complicated if you have done valve adjustments before, but it is time consuming, because you have to take off everything that sits on top of the engine.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=8139.0

Gustavo

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The 2010 Owners Manual says to check the valve clearance every 42,000km (26,250 miles.) It is not required until then.
That is the interval that Kawasaki had listed for the European market bikes. But, given that most seem to be right up (or under) the lower limit at or before 15K, I am not sure I'd wait that long for the first inspection, even if the 2010 owner's manual says 26K miles.

Gustavo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts