Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I rode 1250 miles last weekend, from NYC to Toronto and back.
It was my first long trip on my 2015 Versys 650 LT.

What I liked about the bike:
1)The engine, I could go 80-90 mph all day. Keep rpm at 6-7 and there are no vibrations at all.

2)MPG. I averaged 50 mpg which I think is not bad considering we were 2 people plus 3 fully loaded cases.

What I liked less:
1)The seat. I really think the versys stock seat is horrible. I felt like I was sitting on my balls most of the time. 3-4 hours into riding I started feeling my left shoulder blade pain, not sure if cuz of the seat but it was bothering me the whole time.

2)Rear tire. The bike currently has 5k miles on it and the tire is square already. Especially I noticed it after the Canada trip. I realize there was a lot of weight on the tire, my gf is 5’11 and weights about 145 or so, I am 5’11 and weight 170 plus top 47 litter case plus 2 33L side cases fully loaded. My next tire will definitely be dual compound.

3)The wind screen was coming down little by little because the vibrations I think. I had to pull it back up every 300 miles or so… just poor engineering.

Overall it was a great trip, Versys is a fun bike to ride. Now I need to change oil and rear tire. Can anybody recommend me a dual compound tire? I was thinking Michelin pilot road 4. Anybody tried it? would you recommend?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks like you had a great time.

My 2015 650 only has 500 miles on it and my tire is starting to square already! I hate these stock tires (Dunlop Sportmax). I will replace them with PR4's, which I had on my previous bike and was very happy with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
Had the PR3's on my Versys 650 got over 10,000 miles out of them. Had PR4's on my FJR again over 10,000 miles out of 2 sets of them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow that was a lot of miles on one road ride! Yep, sounds like the Versys. Although my screen always stays in place whether up or down.
The Dunlop factory tires are not great. Slippery single-compounds for clean roads. I will get PR4s for mine and can't wait.
Check your chain. It might need tightening.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
"What I liked less:
1)The seat. I really think the versys stock seat is horrible. I felt like I was sitting on my balls most of the time. 3-4 hours into riding I started feeling my left shoulder blade pain, not sure if cuz of the seat but it was bothering me the whole time.

2)Rear tire. The bike currently has 5k miles on it and the tire is square already. Especially I noticed it after the Canada trip. I realize there was a lot of weight on the tire, my gf is 5’11 and weights about 145 or so, I am 5’11 and weight 170 plus top 47 litter case plus 2 33L side cases fully loaded. My next tire will definitely be dual compound.

3)The wind screen was coming down little by little because the vibrations I think. I had to pull it back up every 300 miles or so… just poor engineering...."

There have been fixes for the seat issue since '08 on this forum - raise the front of the seat for about $2. I have OVER 120K miles w/ mine up by 9/16". Try SEARCH, or ask and I'll post pics.

The windscreen is SUPPOSED to have a 'cup' washer behind that black plastic piece that you loosen to raise/ lower the screen. Mine (and several others that I've inspected, as well as talking w/ a Kawi rep at the Phoenix bike show who did NOT know this - check the exploded view in the SERVICE MANUAL) had a FLAT washer, but has NEVER moved since I replaced it w/ a cup washer (EVEN on my recent 8,700 km ride to Alaska)!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"What I liked less:

3)The wind screen was coming down little by little because the vibrations I think. I had to pull it back up every 300 miles or so… just poor engineering...."

There have been fixes for the seat issue since '08 on this forum - raise the front of the seat for about $2. I have OVER 120K miles w/ mine up by 9/16". Try SEARCH, or ask and I'll post pics.

The windscreen is SUPPOSED to have a 'cup' washer behind that black plastic piece that you loosen to raise/ lower the screen. Mine (and several others that I've inspected, as well as talking w/ a Kawi rep at the Phoenix bike show who did NOT know this - check the exploded view in the SERVICE MANUAL) had a FLAT washer, but has NEVER moved since I replaced it w/ a cup washer (EVEN on my recent 8,700 km ride to Alaska)!

Thanks for the info. Yea i felt like the seat was leaning forward too much and that changing the angle just a bit would solve the problem completely. Other than that the seat is fine. PLease do post photos if you still have them, I think many people would find them useful.

So the Versys has the wrong washer to begin with? Where to get the cup washer? what size? Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yea i felt like the seat was leaning forward too much and that changing the angle just a bit would solve the problem completely. Other than that the seat is fine. PLease do post photos if you still have them, I think many people would find them useful.

So the Versys has the wrong washer to begin with? Where to get the cup washer? what size? Thanks!
My 2015 650 came with cup washers. My guess is sometimes they get lost and people (and the dealer even) replace them with regular washers.

I could measure the washer later but if you have flat washers now just take one to the hardware store and buy a cup washer in the same size.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Here's how to raise your seat: first take a piece of 'flat-stock' that's hanging around your garage, drill two holes in it, add two longer 6mm bolts and 12 washers....

BTW - sometimes "cup" washers are called "spring washers" (they are NOT lock washers!).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's how to raise your seat: first take a piece of 'flat-stock' that's hanging around your garage, drill two holes in it, add two longer 6mm bolts and 12 washers....

BTW - sometimes "cup" washers are called "spring washers" (they are NOT lock washers!).

Thanks for uploading! Now i have a project for this weekend )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts