Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

Been riding my 09 Vulcan custom for 5 years now and think it's time for a my second and next bike. I don't consider myself a street racer or heavy touring fan at but am looking for more fun and adventure in my ride. While the Vulcan 900cc is enough for me the 503lb bike sort of lumbers in the mid-range and I'm looking for some more pep and excitement. I rarely travel over 70mph but I'm feeling a bit bored on the Vulcan and looking for more fun. At 6'2" and 225lbs, 32" inseam, I've always seen the Versys and VStrom (sorry haters) as a recommendation but am unsure if the Versys 650 has enough get up and go relative to what I'm used to considering I'm looking 250CC, eventhough the Versysy weighs less. Looking for any advice as to whether I would find the Versys650 too timid when I'm looking for more pep and not less. Would the 1000 be a better choice? Any feedback you have is appreciated as well as recommendations on other possible bikes you might recommend.
Thanks,
Magum44

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Versys Adventuring on Long Island?

Wondering where Long Island Versys riders take their bikes for adventure. While I understand Versys is not built for 100% off roading, as a cruiser rider, I've never gone off road locally. Is there anywhere on or near Long Island you recommend?
Ty,
Magnum44

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum. As to size, I am 200 LB , 30 inch inseam and the 2015 has 68 horses, I can break any speed limit where I live. I can cruse all day at 80 mph , 2 up, so I don't know what you expect, several members here that had the same Vulcan and went to the Versys.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I changed from an 05' Vulcan 1500 (just got too heavy) to the Versys 650 LT and I like it. Speed, agility, and fun factor are much better than the Vulcan. The Wee Strom has a bit more get-up-and-go but it feels heavier than the Versys.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I would say that a Versys 650 would be a good complement to a 900 custom.

Sure the 1000 has more ponies but it is definitely a street bike only. In fact both the 650 and 1000 are street bikes.

Yes, you can take them off road, but you can take your 900 custom off road too if your skilled enough.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm 6', 235 lbs with a 32" inseam. My '08 V650 has more than enough power for me, and I'm not bored with it yet (bought it in 2009). I'm pretty much a commuter, so I don't take mine on the highway regularly. When I do, it keeps up with traffic just fine...just needs more wind protection. For commuting and/or general backroad riding, I've never once said "I wish I had more power".

I took a test ride on a 2015 VStrom, and when I went from it back to the Versys, the first thing I noticed was how compact the Versys felt in comparison.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:welcome: I'm 6'2" around 300lbs and the V-650 hauled my fat butt around quite easily. I now have a V-1000 because i just wanted one...:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Must have accesories/addons

Hi friends, new to the forum. Just bought my new Versys 650 and was hoping someone could point me to the thread for the top must have add-ons/accessories. I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list but looking for the odds on favorite most folks agree are the top recommended picks, you folks having done the exhaustive work already. Hoping to scopre some black Friday deals before midnight.
Thanks,
Magnum44

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It all depends on how and where you ride your bike, and what year it is.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
This is the list of what I added to my 2011 Versys:

Windshield (Kawasaki tall with adjustable wing)
GPS Mount (SW Motech on handlebar clamp)
Heated Grips (Kawasaki)
Power Outlet (Kawasaki)
Relay for above accessories (Kawasaki)
Hand Guard Shells (Kawasaki of EU)
Hand Guard Brackets (Kawasaki)
Radiator Guard
Fender Extender
Engine Guards (SW Motech)
LED Denali Lights (Twisted Throttle)
Denali Light mounts (SW Motech)
Custom Seat (Terry Adcock)
Saddle bag Supports (Kawasaki)
Saddle bags (GIVI V35)
Color Matched Panel on saddlebags (Kawasaki)
LED lights in saddlebags (Admore Lighting)
Soft luggage for saddlebags (GIVI)
Tool Tubes (2) (Farm Supply)
SkeneDesign LED run / brake lights
Highway pegs (SW Motech)
Tank Pad (Kawasaki)
Tank Bag (Kawasaki)
Rear Hugger (Pyramid)

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
V1000 / 650 abs

Well it is nice to see you came to a decision , for me, Highway pegs,lowering pegs, tank bag and heated grips,bark busters,power outlets, seat mod, in that order. Secondary is ; hugger ( Skidmarx ),fender extender, Givi top case and Trekker side cases,GPS ,Denali lights ,tire plugging kit, prop stand, led signal light conversion, phillips led t110 city lights, led headlight conversion possibly 2018.

FYI I combined threads as understanding your previous rides helps in answering your recent post.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list....
I rode my Gen 3 650LT across Canada and back last summer (8,686 miles) using the OEM windshield at its highest setting. NO buffeting, GOOD rain protection. I'm 5'10" w/ 31" inseam.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list....
I rode my Gen 3 650LT across Canada and back last summer (8,686 miles) using the OEM windshield at its highest setting. NO buffeting, GOOD rain protection. I'm 5'10" w/ 31" inseam.

BTW - I also have a PUIG 5999 'shield which I chose NOT to use.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi friends, new to the forum. Just bought my new Versys 650 and was hoping someone could point me to the thread for the top must have add-ons/accessories. I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list but looking for the odds on favorite most folks agree are the top recommended picks, you folks having done the exhaustive work already. Hoping to scopre some black Friday deals before midnight.
Thanks,
Magnum44
Here a thread I started last March which details what Farkles I have done to my 2016 650, and MANY followups and recommendations from others. Farkle Bang For The Buck

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/124921-farkle-bang-buck-review.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a versys 1000 and can say it is so smooth with a very light (slipper) clutch. it is new 2018 model and just had first 1000 km service. the bike is wonderful (previously had a vulcan s).
only thing to watch is the seat height (had to get used to standing on the pegs to mount and dismount and to flat foot on left leg i have to lean the bike slightly. really depends on your height and inside leg measurement (i am 1.78m tall and only have 30 inch inside leg - not arealproblem just something to get used to after the vulcan/cruiser for me. to sum up the 1000 is by far the best bike i have purchased - hope all goes well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts