Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like the starter isn't engaging properly, or it is getting just enough juice to turn, but not enough to turn the engine. It could be caused by a dead (or close-to-dead battery), by a poor electrical connection to the starter, or by a failing starter. Of course, that's just my guess from what I saw/heard in the video.

BTW, I doubt you'll be able to push-start it. It's an EFI bike and the vast majority of EFI engines can't be push-started. :(

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Sounds like the starter isn't engaging properly, or it is getting just enough juice to turn, but not enough to turn the engine. It could be caused by a dead (or close-to-dead battery), by a poor electrical connection to the starter, or by a failing starter. Of course, that's just my guess from what I saw/heard in the video.
That's what I was thinking too...

BTW, I doubt you'll be able to push-start it. It's an EFI bike and the vast majority of EFI engines can't be push-started. :(

(In my best Johnny Carson voice) "I did not know that... That's interesting stuff"

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Won't start

I would check the battery terminal connections, if they are not real tight you could get enough juice to fire up the electronics but not enough for the starter. My terminals were loose from the dealer, similar problem as yours.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am pretty sure it is an issue with the starter solenoid. Sounds like you have plenty of juice but the solenoid isn't pushing the little starter gear fully into engagement with the ring gear on the motor so they are grinding together instead of engaging. I don't think you can replace one without the other so would probably mean a new starter. Good luck at the dealer! J.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
FYI, you can bump start the V. A buddy and I were up in Asheville last week when it was really cold and I'd been running my heated grips (no relay installed yet, I know!). Went into our favorite Mexican restaurant to have a great super and thaw out and my grips were on the whole time. She wouldn't crank when we came out but I had enough juice for the fuel pump to run so we pushed her up the hill behind the restaurant and she started on the second try. No problems the rest of the wknd with her.

It worth trying to bump start her. Let us know the outcome Slowfaller.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd look at the battery terminals, make sure they are nice and tight, then check connections at the starter. Solenoid ? maybe , but that's rare for a new bike or any vehicle. I think a faulty solenoid wouldn't even get the starter to engage, you'd only hear a cliking. ( or am i wrong here?)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies,,the battery connections are solid so I'm going to charge the battery and see what happends. At least this battery is easy to access unlike the suzuki s40 I had previous!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops, i replied to the ppl on youtube but not here, sorry to leave ya hanging...

It was the battery, I plugged in a battery tender for maybe 40 min then it turned right over. Thanks!

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts