Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the stock oil weight 5W ? Has anyone tried a heavier weight for better dampening. How far have you gone in thicker viscosity.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Original Showa SS-8 (SAE 10W) fork fluid has a viscosity of 36.47 cSt @ 40°C (104°F), 7.24 cSt @ 100°C (212°F) and 167 viscosity index. It also looks and smells just like ATF.

http://www.qemsc.com.au/documents/suspensionoils.pdf

Fork operating temperature is normally at about 26~33°C (78~91°F) in 21-28°C (70-83°F) ambient temperatures... I had tried a blend of 12.5W, then went back to 10W with Maxima synthetic racing fork fluid which I like.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=44

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks invader.... Was dampening too slow with 12.5 ? ... Did you stick with OEM air oil level/qty ?

I am thinking of trying Maxima Racing Fork Oil. (as i have that in stock from my racebike fork builds)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I had written that a bit quickly... I just checked my stock, and as suspected, I also have Maxima synthetic racing fork fluid only as used in my forks. I swear by a lot of their products.

Compression damping was just a bit excessive at less than hyper speeds with 12.5W. It's pretty good with Maxima racing 10W with near maximum fork sprng preload, and with rebound damping screw at about 1/2 turn out from fully seated. Stock oil height.

·
Super Moderator
19,571 Posts
I use ATF from WalMart, and since changing to it my front ends are more like my rears which have R1 shocks - MUCH better. Here's a pic of what I use.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Remove the fork caps and turn the bike upside down or remove the forks and turn them upside down. I use Mobil 1 ATF but haven't changed the oil in these forks yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanx eddie for showing me that thread. i remember now reading it then. i don't know yet if i want to tackle that project. i was about at my mechanical limit putting on a thermabob.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, you were on 12.5 and switched back to 10? How heavy are you if you dont mind me asking.

Have you taken your bike for a trackday? .. I would like to take the versys to the track. Obviously the oil is old, but the rebound is very fast and screw is turned in all the way.

I do like the Maxima Racing fork oil over any. It has a wide operating temperature range and works perfect for my track and race bike.

I had written that a bit quickly... I just checked my stock, and as suspected, I also have Maxima synthetic racing fork fluid only as used in my forks. I swear by a lot of their products.

Compression damping was just a bit excessive at less than hyper speeds with 12.5W. It's pretty good with Maxima racing 10W with near maximum fork sprng preload, and with rebound damping screw at about 1/2 turn out from fully seated. Stock oil height.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
208 lbs. No track day. I don't like to slow down for the wicked dips and bumps we have, and on my offroad stints... To be honest, I meant to go from 13W to 12W, but accidently went to 10W, and I like it like this overrall.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanx for the encouragement eddie. the next time you go to alaska, and if you want some company, i'm in. we don't live too far apart, and i've ridden right by your place in arizona several times.

·
Super Moderator
19,571 Posts
thanx for the encouragement eddie. the next time you go to alaska, and if you want some company, i'm in. we don't live too far apart, and i've ridden right by your place in arizona several times.
Check in w/ me NEXT time....

:thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks... Guess, i will try with 10W and move up if needed.

208 lbs. No track day. I don't like to slow down for the wicked dips and bumps we have, and on my offroad stints... To be honest, I meant to go from 13W to 12W, but accidently went to 10W, and I like it like this overrall.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I do have 15W in my left undamped fork... I'll try closing the rebound damping screw for the hell of it.

If you can, I'd try 11W... How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I weight 165lb without gear....

So just to be clear, you have 10W in the right and 15W in the left?

I do have 15W in my left undamped fork... I'll try closing the rebound damping screw for the hell of it.

If you can, I'd try 11W... How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Invader,

I'm getting a major service next week at around 9K miles, since I don't know what has been done yet and the bike has been sitting new for a couple of years.

If I weigh 280 +/- 10 lbs, would you suspect 15 wt may be better fork oil viscosity? 10 wt does not feel bad at all on my 2012, and don't know if it is completely different from the telescopic fork weights to rider weight relationship.

It may be more dependent on the fork adjustment settings. I am replacing my rear shock with a Progressive 465-1182, but the usd forks have been a pleasure so far with no complaints. But i do not know any better yet, so it may get a lot better with more appropriate oil weight. The factory manual does not give fork weight guidance other than 10 wt oil.
:confused::confused:

:thanx:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts