Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so backstory time fellas. I bought a wrecked 07 ninja 650r bike. (The guy backed into it with his truck and let it sit for 9 years, until i got my hands on it. He claimed it ran good and all that. I got it with no keys and the top of the tank was litteralt rusted apart. I bought a battery, a wrecked tank from eBay, and a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. I threw a flathead in the ignition and turned it with some pliers. ( ok so I never should of did this, but considering i did this this in mind of ill just replace it come tax/spring time when I actually get to ride it) - I just wanted to know if it ran. - So then I fixed the tank, rebuilt pump, changed oil, (added coolant, I should of replaced) dont know if that caused any problems.. But threw it all together with some fresh gas, bike ran amazing.
Fast forward to a week or two everythings just sitting in the corner of the shop protected from moisture. I take the tank off and pull out fuel pump to get a nice black laid down on it. Pulled chain and set it oil. 1 and a 1/2 week later I put it all together turn it over cranks, fires, gets to idle and dies. Litteraly every time! Dies after 1 second of starting bike and im completely lost. Idk what else to test, bike primes pump great, lots of fuel shooting out i threw two spark plugs at it, no changes. Anybody got any leads? I messed with lay down sensor and kickstand sensor but doesnt change anything(have not tested those switches) ive held in clutch, made sure its in neutral(lights up green N) held brake, made sure seat was locked i got nothing.

The only other thing I messed with was my stupid a** trying to not mess up ignition so at somepoint I tried jumping wires around the gray wire. Dont exactly remember what I did, but concluding up to now, I went out and bought a toggle switch and a 100 ohm resistor 1/4watt.
My brain hurts after trying to lay this all out, ill try to reply fast as possible thank you for youre time

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Have you got all the vacuum lines on, and are they in good shape? Did you put both main and sub throttle positions sensors connectors back in. The vehicle down sensor is similar , however it is more prone top occur on the MK-3 and newer. Go over all the connectors and make sure they are plugged in.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
Get some electronic spray and spray over all switches and contact points. Bike start and dies off is lose contact somewhere. Check your throttle body for smooth operation. It may be stuck and not opening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you got all the vacuum lines on, and are they in good shape? Did you put both main and sub throttle positions sensors connectors back in. The vehicle down sensor is similar , however it is more prone top occur on the MK-3 and newer. Go over all the connectors and make sure they are plugged in.
As far as i can tell, all my vaccuum lines are good, and ive checked all connections dozens of times. Ill try unplugging and replugging some of them. I also never unooked tps or sub tps. I will try this and get back with u sir

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get some electronic spray and spray over all switches and contact points. Bike start and dies off is lose contact somewhere. Check your throttle body for smooth operation. It may be stuck and not opening.
I'll buy some connection cleaner and give it a try sir, tge lower throttle body valves move as I move the throttle completely. And everytime I get ready to start the bike I hear the upper throttle body valves resync so i think im all good there sir.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just spent 2 days on one exactly like this. Remove the starter solenoid and give it a clean up, all of the battery positive goes via the solenoid.Then check the charge rate.
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sad when members try and help and no response from the OP, two months and counting!
Sorry I didn't reply in time... But now it's all about time and money..... I had used all your suggestions. Cleaned almost every plug in and checked vehicle down sensor, all vacuum tubes, made cleaned injectors as much as I could also i made sure they are spraying. I had got it started and drove down the road, 2 times already, where it would stay idling, but high end was misfire hard and very touchy low end. (What I don't understand is how it won't even idle again after I did get it to run those both times. It fires a rotation and dies) I've noticed intermittency in the coil plugs so I'm about to get some ordered. I've heard these are the most updated plugs??? Denso part # 129700-5350
I will try cleaning the starter solenoid when I get some free time. I will update when I've gotten somewhere, I appreciate everybody's help.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I ask, because rings are a rare thing on the Versys. Tight valves are very common, my 07 and on my 2015 I did it at 11,000 KM , tight exhaust valves and 1 intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ask, because rings are a rare thing on the Versys. Tight valves are very common, my 07 and on my 2015 I did it at 11,000 KM , tight exhaust valves and 1 intake.
What would you consider tight? I think everything is in order, also the top of the valve train looks beautiful. Exhaust outlets to exhaust manifold are pretty gross. Each exhaust and intake valve are moving

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
What would you consider tight? I think everything is in order, also the top of the valve train looks beautiful. Exhaust outlets to exhaust manifold are pretty gross. Each exhaust and intake valve are moving View attachment 182398
I have a PDF sheet for recording the measurements , kawi says .015 to .021 for intake, tight would be .0149 , when done all intake are .021.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts