Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Booster Plug, yes! (BP collective findings)

27K views 69 replies 29 participants last post by  Garibaldi 
#1 ·
#2 ·
If you are on ADV you might contact Roger04Rt he is an absolute expert on these and other methods of tweaking fueling. He sorted my 14" Husqvarna TR650 and it ran better than anyone else that had one that I rode with.

I used an LC2 on my Husky. But if the ECU on the Versys will not learn to negate the settings it will work fine. Husky used a Magnetti Marelli ECU and it had the ability to eventually negate any setting that the booster plug had and reverted to the OEM settings. I finally ended up using the LC2 to spoof the AFR at the exhaust output. Once I did that I never had to look back.

#4 ·
Another member (thanks!) sent me this link: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/BMWfuelmods_1213.pdf

MCN liked the function of the Booster Plug, and the other "easy-peesy" mod tested (they claim to have tested both for 1800 miles each). On the dyno they only mentioned peak HP, and the difference was negligeable (1 hp gain at peak with no losses mentioned, which is my main concern, tho I'd still like to see a stock vs. modified power curve comparison). They also mention an increase in mileage and a "noticeable" improvement in throttle response off idle. I don't really notice any serious "infractions" from my bike's EFI, but suspect the slight enrichening would smooth things out a bit, knowing all Japanese bikes come stupid-lean (at idle) from the factory (thanks EPA). Anyway, it's an interesting review of two products that claim to make good bikes a little better, not 650s into 1000s;) If I end up pulling the trigger on one of these, and I can convince the local shop with a dyno not to rape me on before and after runs (however unlikely), I'll post results.

#5 ·
Hey guys! I'm a subscriber to a Youtuber named Andy Man Cam, a delightful English chap currently living in ye olde Deutschland! I quite enjoy his sense of humour and general outlook on life... He rides a 2007 V650! Makes sense!

Anyways, he has videos where he installs and reviews farkles... One mod he installed particularly interested me.. The booster plug and I was wondering if anyone on here has installed it?

Cheers for your thoughts and opinions!

#6 ·
I have it and like it very much!

I have had it on my 2015 Versys 650 all summer.

I decided to purchase it after having read numerous positive reviews on other forums (UK Versys forum, ADV Rider forum, etc.).

The only negative posts that I have found about it is from people who have never tried it. IMHO these are therefore only opinions ... and I did not want to make my choice based on that.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!! It does everything as described on the Boosterplug website. If you want more specific information, download the FI manual on the website. IMHO it is very well done. It gives an excellent explanation of motorcycle fuel injection.

Note: I have no association with Boosterplug. I'm just a satisfied "user". :D

#7 ·
Sounds good so far! Have you noticed a change in your fuel economy? I've heard anecdotally that while the plug injects more fuel, you actually see a small rise in fuel economy for reasons I don't feel like stressing my brain over at the moment.
I did not notice any change in the fuel economy. Apparently (as per other reviews) it is very similar.
However I must admit that fuel economy on any of my bikes has never been one of my priorities.

#8 ·
I have the boosterplug, have been using it for 3 days now. Fuel economy has gone up a bit but it does what it promises.
The biggest issue (only) i had with the bike is the digital behaviour of the trottle response. Slow driving has been a bitch because it really acts on and off, like there's hardly anything between the trottle position. So for me it takes off the really sharp edges of the bike. It made my commuting a lot more pleasant.

#9 ·
I've had the BoosterPlug for about 6 months on my Gen2. I can say for sure that there is an improvement in throttle control. Almost exactly what Andy describes in his video is my experience. No more burning the clutch to keep smooth roll on the throttle around low speed corners.

However, I have recently noticed poor fuel economy. I don't know if its from the BoosterPlug or not. I really don't keep track of MPG's, especially in town commuting, which is most of my riding. Last weekend I rode over to eastern Oregon and back. I thought I would make the 220mi trip in one tank but was still 40mi from home and down to 1 gal left so I filled up. Turns out I was getting 44mpg. That seems low even with the kind of mountain riding I had done.

I say all that to say, I am going to do some testing and take some numbers with and without the BoosterPlug. Also I am right at 15K so I need to do the valves and sync the throttle bodies. If anything of interest comes up I will post what I find.

#11 ·
I've had the BoosterPlug for about 6 months on my Gen2. I can say for sure that there is an improvement in throttle control. Almost exactly what Andy describes in his video is my experience. No more burning the clutch to keep smooth roll on the throttle around low speed corners.
On my Gen 3 Versys 650, even with a 44T rear sprocket, I can slowly release the clutch without touching the throttle and the bike will advance smoothly without any hiccups, etc. I also tested this while entering my garage where there is a slight uphill slope. :)

#12 ·
Not paying $149 for a $0.90 resistor I am going to assume the temperature sensor is linear. I have calculated that 1 degree F is = to 44 ohms, I am never going to be in a situation where the intake air is 176'F , even if I am idling, so I picked 155'F for a maximum value. I have noticed a marked improvement when the temperature is 60'F or less, pulls better, more responsive, I assumed it was the colder air expanding when heated in the combustion chamber. So I intend to drop the input temperature by 20 'F which is 876 ohms using a 1/4 watt resistor.
You have the skill set to do it, go for it.
In my case I did not have that skill AND I wanted it NOW. For me, it was and is still well worth it because it's a very easy plug and play install which functions flawlessly. It made my Versys much more enjoyable to ride.

#13 ·
Greetings Versysland -

I have been on a few long rides on my new Versys 650. At the end of the day, the throttle seems to become more snatchy. It is more noticeable at the end of a long run than it is at the beginning.

Wonder if any of you have noticed the same thing, and if so, what is the cure?

#14 ·
The fueling on my US-spec Gen3 makes it difficult to smoothly roll on throttle after decel due to an overly-lean condition (this is made even worse by E10 gasoline). This symptom increases as the engine heats up and the ambient temp goes up, which is why I'm going to try the Booster Plug, which fools the ECU into thinking the ambient temp is much cooler than it actually is and thus not cutting the fuel so much on decel. Based on user reports, I don't expect it to be a miracle cure, but it should help noticeably.

#15 ·
The fueling on my US-spec Gen3 makes it difficult to smoothly roll on throttle after decel due to an overly-lean condition (this is made even worse by E10 gasoline). This symptom increases as the engine heats up and the ambient temp goes up, which is why I'm going to try the Booster Plug, which fools the ECU into thinking the ambient temp is much cooler than it actually is and thus not cutting the fuel so much on decel. Based on user reports, I don't expect it to be a miracle cure, but it should help noticeably.
You will be pleasantly surprised Doug! ;)

#16 ·
Hey guys! I'm a subscriber to a Youtuber named Andy Man Cam, a delightful English chap currently living in ye olde Deutschland! I quite enjoy his sense of humour and general outlook on life... He rides a 2007 V650! Makes sense!

Anyways, he has videos where he installs and reviews farkles... One mod he installed particularly interested me.. The booster plug and I was wondering if anyone on here has installed it?

Cheers for your thoughts and opinions!
Hi,
I insalled the boosterplug this summer 1 month after buying my versys 2013.
I did not like the ?on/off? feeling of the throttle and, to be honest, I was not very happy with the bike because of that.
Installed the plug and the on/off feeling is now just an old bad memory.. :)

#17 ·
#18 ·
Just my .02: I put the Booster Plug on my 2015 V3, and noticed an immediate improvement in the jerky throttle, as well as less engine braking. As far as gas mileage, I have lost approximately 1.5 MPG, which I feel is a doable trade off.

#19 ·
I have had the booster for a few months now and i'm thinking about removing it.
Ever since i installed it the bike seems to be drowning in fuel every now and then, especially when it's raining..
Is it just me ? Can it be a bad sensor location ? It's the same location as the picture above from Quexpress..

#20 ·
I have had the booster for a few months now and i'm thinking about removing it.
Ever since i installed it the bike seems to be drowning in fuel every now and then, especially when it's raining..
Is it just me ? Can it be a bad sensor location ? It's the same location as the picture above from Quexpress..
This is the first time I hear of such results.
I would suggest to contact Jens Lyck at Boosterplug for tips/suggestions. He is very helpful.

#22 · (Edited)
Hello
Lets make this people who have BosterPlugs share their thoughts.

I bought BoosterPlug, and here here is my Findings...

-Yes! worth the money!
Why`? i noticed the difference after few minutes of riding...Firstly, first gear is not Grumpy grandpa that cannot decide what to order..instead, the 1,2,3 and all the gear on all the RPMs are now
Nicely smoooth. you will know what smooth means instantly after you install BP!

Basically, Throttle pick up, And drop is smoother, None of that GO, STOP, GO GO GO STOP STOP STOP....thing..more linear curve id say. you can add 10/20/30 more throttle and it will just increase speed,
Unlike before it was ON/OFF throttle. you either accelerate, Or Deaccelerate. now you have smooth curve. No jerkiness

TL;DR i cant explain but i see,smell and feel the difference. i can do 25km/h at 2nd gear smoothly. it does Not do that ON OFF thing where it injects fuel,then not and then injects fuel.....it just works properly now.

Difference is small,No, wrong choice of words, its Subtle! (but so Necessary, BP is Needed for better riding,i find)
I took BP off, to see what i will see, DAYUM! how did i ride the bike before? instanly installed BP back...

SO....when throttle works good, no complaints. You just ride, and not notice anything bad.
When throttle is jerky, you know about it and Dislike it...Luckily for us, BP works.
Easy install. You will figure it out easily.

Worth 150 coins ? For me, Yes! (Try to Race on a track with out BP, Or ride twisties with out BP, youll see difference) Throttle accuracy is now better! as if more steps, rather than on 10%/30% 70% and 100%
now its like 10%- - - - - - 100% all in between. more Gradual.

#24 ·
Hello
Lets make this people who have BosterPlugs share their thoughts.

I bought BoosterPlug, and here here is my Findings...

-Yes! worth the money!
Why`? i noticed the difference after few minutes of riding...Firstly, first gear is not Grumpy grandpa that cannot decide what to order..instead, the 1,2,3 and all the gear on all the RPMs are now
Nicely smoooth. you will know what smooth means instantly after you install BP!

Basically, Throttle pick up, And drop is smoother, None of that GO, STOP, GO GO GO STOP STOP STOP....thing..more linear curve id say. you can add 10/20/30 more throttle and it will just increase speed,
Unlike before it was ON/OFF throttle. you either accelerate, Or Deaccelerate. now you have smooth curve. No jerkiness

TL;DR i cant explain but i see,smell and feel the difference. i can do 25km/h at 2nd gear smoothly. it does Not do that ON OFF thing where it injects fuel,then not and then injects fuel.....it just works properly now.

Difference is small,No, wrong choice of words, its Subtle! (but so Necessary, BP is Needed for better riding,i find)
I took BP off, to see what i will see, DAYUM! how did i ride the bike before? instanly installed BP back...

SO....when throttle works good, no complaints. You just ride, and not notice anything bad.
When throttle is jerky, you know about it and Dislike it...Luckily for us, BP works.
Easy install. You will figure it out easily.

Worth 150 coins ? For me, Yes! (Try to Race on a track with out BP, Or ride twisties with out BP, youll see difference) Throttle accuracy is now better! as if more steps, rather than on 10%/30% 70% and 100%
now its like 10%- - - - - - 100% all in between. more Gradual.
I had been using the BoosterPlug for over 2 seasons and was very happy with it.
FYI: I don't know of anyone else here that has tried the Boosterplug on their Versys.

However when the ECU flash became available in USA, curiosity got the best of me. I broke down and had the ECU flashed.

Am I happy with the ECU flash? Absolutely!

However the change from stock ECU with Boosterplug to the flashed ECU is not as apparent as the change from stock ECU to flashed ECU or from stock ECU to ECU with Boosterplug.

With my experience of both, I look at it this way on a scale of 1 to 10:

Let’s say the flash is a 10 (nothing is a 10 … just to permit comparing), I would think that stock OEM ECU could be a 4 or a 6 … and the Boosterplug would be at least an 8.5.

The money that you have paid for the Boosterplug is well worth it. It's not just for the sensor. It's for the whole package. If the ECU flash had not become available, I would still be using the Boosterplug on my Versys.

Just my Canuck 2 cents. :)

#25 · (Edited)
Interesting...So not many here have tried BP... Interesting indeed.

ECU flash... Better way to solve the problem for sure.

BP is great way just to have better experience as you said quex, without getting too much into nitty gritty details, "Booster Plug...Just plug and play..." simple,quick,easy. Great!
ECU Flash... i imagine its perfection, but may take more hassle,though it is worth it.

You said it perfectly about ECU vs BP.

Allrighty.

#26 ·
I'm glad that I found this topic.
I've just bought a 2010 Versys 650cc with 6800 km on the clock and after few kilometers on it I thought I had problems with it at low speed:
I can't do 25-35 km/h smoothly. it does do that ON OFF thing where it injects fuel,then not and then injects fuel. When I accelerate it doesn't feel anything wrong.
@Prime Minister John what is the model of your bike ? Are there any changes in the fuel consumption ?

Enjoy your rides and bikes.

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.