Kawasaki Versys Forum

Kawasaki Versys Forum (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/)
-   -   First post seeking sprocket help. (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/69689-first-post-seeking-sprocket-help.html)

pwstmind 12-10-2014 04:20 AM

First post seeking sprocket help.

Here to get some help with rear sprocket change. Read the thread will wait to post there. Think I have a bad spot in my chain. Chain is loose except in 1 spot of chain rotation. Everything is in line and in the right place. There has been no damage to front or rear sprocket. I am always spraying my chain but after 18000 k in Thailand it may be time to replace. Cleaned and lubed again but same issue.

Ideas???

kiwi 41 12-10-2014 05:08 AM

Would replace chain and both sprockets at same time, the front sprocket is a pig to get off.

waltermitty 12-10-2014 06:46 AM

That is not many miles for a well maintained chain. Visually inspect the sprockets. Find some online pictures of what worn sprockets look like. The front sprocket wears more because it sees the chain three times as often. When worn the teeth look hooked. The O.E.M. rear sprocket is tough and will usually outlast a couple of chains. It can even be flipped over.

MaverickAus 12-10-2014 12:06 PM

My OEM chain only lasted 20,000 km despite being looked after.

fasteddiecopeman 12-10-2014 01:03 PM

Welcome!

...And the OEM chain on my '08 is NOW over 53,000 miles....

trialsguy 12-10-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman (Post 748713)
Welcome!

...And the OEM chain on my '08 is NOW over 53,000 miles....

Don't tell me... "... and I only used WD-40 to lube it just once in a while.." :rolleyes:

pwstmind 12-11-2014 02:09 AM

First of all thanks for the replies. Both sprockets look fine. I was trying to go to 44 tooth rear then got this issue. Being in Thailand parts are hard to get and expensive. I have the new rear but will get a new chain and front. Just trying to think of other possible issues.
I think I assembled things right. Its only in 1 spot of the chain, multiple rotations of both sprockets and wheel so....its gotta be a chain. ( I think)

No a single good supplier on internet in Thailand that I have found.

Thanks all anyway.

pwstmind 12-11-2014 02:11 AM

And no wd 40. I use chain wax back home but find the non fling stuff here.

fasteddiecopeman 12-11-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trialsguy (Post 748729)
Don't tell me... "... and I only used WD-40 to lube it just once in a while.." :rolleyes:

Nope. The WAY I would put it is:"... and I only used WD-40 to lube it VERY frequently!..."

As in after ANY ride over 50 miles; any ride in rain; mid-way thru the day on long trips; and before making camp when traveling.

:yeahsmile:

By keeping my chain in VG condition I'm ALSO reducing the power it takes to turn the chain, improving performance as well as gas-mileage, and my countershaft sprockets are replaced regularly.

:goodidea:

unstable_rider 06-07-2015 09:04 PM

Question,

do we have an official 16T front sprocket 'Mod' or conversation/tech thread?

I have something to post/ask, and wanted to park appropriately..

(been searching.... and am not sure)

Tex Vs 06-07-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable_rider (Post 877937)
Question,

do we have an official 16T front sprocket 'Mod' or conversation/tech thread?

I have something to post/ask, and wanted to park appropriately..

(been searching.... and am not sure)

Here's one. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=58321

There's also a sticky under performance modifications.

unstable_rider 06-07-2015 09:53 PM

thanx Tex, heading there now.