Kawasaki Versys Forum

Kawasaki Versys Forum (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/)
-   -   Just picked up a Versys (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/33577-just-picked-up-versys.html)

MotoCyclist 07-10-2013 08:35 AM

Just picked up a Versys

Just got a 2009 Versys. After just putting around town, I can tell it sure can profit from a gearing change before I hit any highways. I've got a 16T front I'll put on when I get the ambition. Probably won't do much else to it. It sure could use an aftermarket seat, but at about 4 bills for a Sargent or Corbin, probably won't happen. It'll probably sit 4th in line in bike choice, as my dirt bikes and RC51 have priority.

King.Versys 07-10-2013 09:05 AM

Ok. Is there anything you do like about the bike? :stickpoke:

El Tig 07-10-2013 10:11 AM

:welcome: I think...... :openarms:

Seeya 07-10-2013 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome

I can relate (I own and primarily ride an SV1000s) with a RC51 in the garage a Versys might get relegated to neighborhood putting, inclement weather (wet, hot, cold) and back up, change of pace duty.

To some extent
Motorcycle ownership and related web forums are a lesson in human psychology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoCyclist (Post 355809)
Just got a 2009 Versys. After just putting around town, I can tell it sure can profit from a gearing change before I hit any highways. I've got a 16T front I'll put on when I get the ambition. Probably won't do much else to it. It sure could use an aftermarket seat, but at about 4 bills for a Sargent or Corbin, probably won't happen. It'll probably sit 4th in line in bike choice, as my dirt bikes and RC51 have priority.

If a Versys was Popeye he might say.

Avande 07-10-2013 11:09 AM

:welcome:

weljo2001 07-10-2013 11:10 AM

:welcome: Well if you really want to dislike the bike even more put a Corbin on it. :goodluck:

fasteddiecopeman 07-10-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weljo2001 (Post 355953)
:welcome: Well if you really want to dislike the bike even more put a Corbin on it. :goodluck:

Joseph does it AGAIN!!! :funnypost:

Britmick 07-12-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

So which seat would you recommend sir???

I find the stock seat tries to push my pelvis forward, although more upward pressure from the pegs does seem to counteract this some, but sometimes you just want to relax & slouch!!!:)

MotoCyclist 07-12-2013 07:09 PM

I've used Corbins on both my RC51 and my past Honda Superhawks, the VTR1000, not the Superhawk from the '60's. Humongous improvement over stock. I changed my countershaft to the 16T yesterday, then put a hundred or so miles on it today. The gearing change was a definite improvement. I think I may also go down one tooth on the rear and go aluminum for the back sprocket. It definitely is a fun little bike, but my butt is killing me!!!
After going to the 16T I compared the Kaw speedo to my Garmin eTrex, and it's just about spot on right now.
The thing is, all my street bikes have been v-twins, except for a Honda 919, which is about as close to v-twin power delivery an inline 4 can have. I'm more than happy working a motor between 4-6K rpm. The Versys is also pretty happy there, but if you want acceleration, it happens above the 6K mark. But still, a fun little bike.

weljo2001 07-13-2013 02:37 AM

Corbins might work on other bikes but on the Versys the Corbin is a Turd. I've had a Baldwin,Russell Day Long,Corbin,2 Kawi-Gel Seats and currently have a Terry Adcock Flat Seat on the bike. What type of riding are you planning to do and i'll tell you which seat would work best from my experience. But from the above list of seats the Corbin was the worst in comfort and build quality.

Britmick 07-13-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weljo2001 (Post 358634)
What type of riding are you planning to do and i'll tell you which seat would work best from my experience. But from the above list of seats the Corbin was the worst in comfort and build quality.

I'm doing day rides mostly on Scenic routes, m a y b e some trips further afield, but 90% blacktop day rides solo.

MotoCyclist 07-13-2013 08:00 AM

I was wanting an adventure bike, but whenever I went to look at them I realized how ugly they are (sorry adventure bike owners.) I thought the Versys was the best looking of them, although it's less off-road worthy than the others. I do alot of trips to the NC/TN mountains and have always thought it'd be nice to zip down some of these gravel roads and see where they go. Although it's current tire set-up isn't very gravel road worthy, when it's due for rubber I'll go to something more off-roadish. The plan would be long days on the highway to get to and from where I want to go, then exploring the unimproved roads, but also play on the twisties (the Dragon). I might just try one of those gel-pads that go on your stock seat. Being mostly a dirt bike guy, I'm used to tall seat heights, and actually feel more at home on a tall bike. When I put the Corbin on my RC51, I thought the seat felt like a rock. But I can put a 10 hour day on it and do it again the next day...and the next...

MTS 07-13-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

:welcome: LOL :thumb:

If you stuff the front with foam a Air Hawk will work also! :D

As far as the rest weljo is no BS'er. :eek:

Read Seat Concept thread. some liked some not!

MotoCyclist 07-13-2013 09:16 AM

I might also add that I prefer a monoposto look on my bikes. It's my opinion that bikes aren't made for two people. I thought maybe PowerBronze would have something but they don't. Are there any seats that change it to a single seat, or at least provide a rear cowl to make it look like a monoposto?

cyclesarge 07-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weljo2001 (Post 358634)
Corbins might work on other bikes but on the Versys the Corbin is a Turd. I've had a Baldwin,Russell Day Long,Corbin,2 Kawi-Gel Seats and currently have a Terry Adcock Flat Seat on the bike. What type of riding are you planning to do and i'll tell you which seat would work best from my experience. But from the above list of seats the Corbin was the worst in comfort and build quality.

I've had three bikes with Corbins and loved them all. So I thought it would be fine on the Versys, even though some members didn't like them, anyone that has to try 5 different seats is probably just REALLY picky when it comes to seats, right? haha. Now that I HAVE a Corbin I can see what the problem is, the Versys is just really hard to make a decent seat for. I'll go ahead and keep the Corbin for awhile (it DOES have a slight comfort advantage over stock) and see if my butt doesn't break into the seat, but I'm keeping an eye open for something better.

weljo2001 07-13-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britmick (Post 358730)
I'm doing day rides mostly on Scenic routes, m a y b e some trips further afield, but 90% blacktop day rides solo.

Then you have 3 good choices. For all day comfort on longer rides. The Russell Day Long, Terry Adcock and the Baldwin will work great. The Russell Day Long spreads your thighs apart more and when you come to a stop you need to scoot toward the tank. The Terry Adcock Flat seat is my favorite because if you want to ride it like a sport bike in the twisty stuff just sit closer to the tank also being flat you can slide back on the seat and stretch your legs. The Baldwin is a good choice too but it was a little short in the seat placement i use to ride sitting on the lip where the pillon section started. But after all the seats i've had the Terry Adcock Flat seat is the one i'm sticking with.

Hope this helps.

Joseph

twowheeladdict 07-13-2013 04:19 PM

Don't know why you would want to change the gearing on one of the best backroads touring bike out there. The Versys is a hoot to ride and can handle 115 across the backroads of wyoming for hours at a time without a gear change.

MotoCyclist 07-13-2013 08:18 PM

This is gleaned from the Versys intro on the website: " It was fully mapped so the mid-range from 3000-6000 revs would receive a nice and strong response from the throttle." By making the gearing taller by either going up a tooth on the c/s sprocket or going down one or more on the rear (or both in my instance, as I just ordered a 1 tooth smaller for the rear to couple with the one up in front), it allows you to spend more time in each gear in that sweet spot. There are 4 bikes in my garage all with non-stock gearing. The RC51 I geared lower, but the other 3 I geared higher, and they all benefitted from it. I suggest you try a tooth up on your c/s and see. You can get a c/s sprocket for under $20 and maybe 20 minutes in the garage.