Kawasaki Versys Forum

Kawasaki Versys Forum (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/12-riders-gear/)
-   -   Heated Gear (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/12-riders-gear/205769-heated-gear.html)

twowheels 11-08-2017 05:19 PM

Heated Gear

After searching around for a battery harness for my Gerbings heated gear I've been told the Canadian distributor for them is slowly phasing them out and only selling old stock. Not sure what this means but there is a plethora of heated gear in the stores from the Gear brand. After buying a Gear brand harness today it appears they use the same plugs so are completely interchangeable.

Heated Gear Rant..... ;)
Why can't someone design a heated jacket liner with more than a token amount of insulation over top of the heating elements? It would only make sense since heated gear is only worn in cool to cold weather. I'm not sure who designs heated gear but I expect they have never actually used their product in anything more than slightly cool weather. This may actually be the case as many of these companies are located in the southern US. They produce sufficient heat but then you instantly lose it because there is no insulation to hold it in with the wind chill you get at 60mph/100kph. In cold weather I either need to run my liner on MAX and put up with hot spots where the heating elements are and be cold everywhere else or wear it under my insulated liner that came with my jacket. When I wear it under my Thinsulate liner my Olympia jacket came with I get warm even heat and can run the heated liner at a much lower setting, the the problem with this solution is it creates unnecessary bulk which restricts mobility, makes getting dressed to ride more complicated, and makes you overheat more off the bike moving around because of the extra layer. Someone please produce a heated jacket liner like an Olympia Thinsulate jacket liner but with heating elements on the inside. Also redesign the coax plugs every heated gear manufacturer seems to use and design something that is more reliable. This is the 4th time in ~6 years I've had to replace the wiring harness for my heated gear as the female plug seems to wear out and require fiddling to establish a connection. I've also had to send my liner back twice for warranty work to fix plug issues.

Duffy 11-08-2017 07:29 PM

My remedy is that I just use "Little Hotties" for the hands and feet (no electrical failures). If that's not enough to handle the cold..........I just leave the bike in the shop and take the truck.

Smiley 11-09-2017 07:24 AM

Gerbing jacket worn over a long sleeve t-shirt with another tight-fitting sweatshirt worn over the jacket keeps me warm without too much bulk. I consider the bulk a fair trade-off for not getting hypothermic. The one place where the bulk is inconvenient is the Gerbing gloves. They came with silk glove liners that really added to the comfort, however, I managed to lose one of them. Yes, the gloves make the feel of the switches, levers and throttle a bit vague, but again, it's a trade-off.

Years ago I froze my hands- a very painful experience- so I really have to keep warm or my fingers turn white and that is much worse for manipulating the controls. The older I get, the more I detest cold weather and I tend to not ride as much as I once did. Of course, I rode Concours for many years with their excellent weather protection.

zirconx 11-09-2017 08:32 AM

I think they leave out the insulation so the liner isn't bulky. Usually the outer garmet (motorcycle jacket) provides enough insulation. I like how small my heated jacket liner is, I take it on almost all my trips, unless it's the middle of summer. If it were more bulky I would probably leave it at home more often.

fasteddiecopeman 11-09-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheels (Post 1470929)
Heated Gear Rant..... ;)
Why can't someone design a heated jacket liner with more than a token amount of insulation over top of the heating elements? It would only make sense since heated gear is only worn in cool to cold weather....

From reading your "rant" - I get the impression that you want your heated jacket to be a stand-alone item...?

I always wear mine under whatever jacket I'll be wearing, so I 'adjust' the heat by choice of jacket as well as the setting on the controller, and remove and stow the heated liner when I don't need it.

FWIW - I have ALWAYS had my heated-jacket-liner w/ me on all my rides N (D2D...), worn probably 75% of the time during mornings, but only selected ON about HALF the time, then turned OFF and removed as the sun starts warming things up.

onewizard 11-09-2017 11:06 AM

[quote=twowheels;

Heated Gear Rant..... ;)
Why can't someone design a heated jacket liner with more than a token amount of insulation over top of the heating elements? .[/QUOTE]

I hate to think what the cost would be with armor, plus I would need to carry two jackets, since I don't ride in winter or below freezing, it would make no sense to have a single jacket, and the cost would probably double.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman (Post 1471097)
From reading your "rant" - I get the impression that you want your heated jacket to be a stand-alone item...?

I always wear mine under whatever jacket I'll be wearing, so I 'adjust' the heat by choice of jacket as well as the setting on the controller, and remove and stow the heated liner when I don't need it.

FWIW - I have ALWAYS had my heated-jacket-liner w/ me on all my rides N (D2D...), worn probably 75% of the time during mornings, but only selected ON about HALF the time, then turned OFF and removed as the sun starts warming things up.

Like Eddie, I carry my Gerbing jacket all the time plus one Lifa underwear, also a baffle that goes into the lower part of my helmet that protects my neck and reduces the airflow entering my helmet.
I carry two types of gloves, one for extreme cold that is designed for snowmobiles, works great with my heated grips and I use them from 14'C and colder. No secret about layering, I did backpacking / canoeing for over 30 years, polypropylene / synthetic & layering, I have been out and active at some very extreme temperatures, the coldest was minus 35 with a wind chill of minus 65, one key thing is you should never sweat, very dangerous , as eventually you lose insulation value . Like I said layering is important, a jacket that had insulation plus heat would be limited to night time operation or overcast days , basically very limited and as I said before very expensive if you wanted protection integral to the jacket. Then again if you got millions to spend, why not.Everything I buy I try and justify it is worth the price I payed and I intend to use it more than twice a year.

twowheels 11-10-2017 08:10 AM

I was not implying a heated jacket "liner" should not be used on it's own. Rather that a heated liner should be a replacement, on it's own, for the insulated liner that comes with most adventure style motor cycle jackets. Yes a heated liner like my full sleeve Gerbings liner does a decent job as a replacement for my insulated liner in cool weather 15C to maybe 8C, but much below this I need to use both the insulated liner and heated liner together if I do a long ride at higher speeds. As we all know staying warm is not just about tempature but tempature, wind chill (speed) and duration.

fasteddiecopeman 11-10-2017 02:45 PM

On those COLD days on my recent AZ, NM and UT ride I was wearing a non-mesh summer jacket, w/ its liner IN, over my heated liner when I put it on.

Once I got back to warmth, I packed away the heated liner, then as it got HOT, removed the jacket's liner and opened the vents.

On my D2D rides I USUALLY wear a Kilimanjaro jacket over my heated liner, usually W/OUT the Kilimanjaro liner IN. (It's NEVER been as cold up there in YT or NWT or AK as it was on the ride down here!)