Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

DIY Driver's backrest

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 · (Edited)
Driver's backrest

Been a while since i posted on here, so hello again. After a bunch of thought i decided to take a stab at making a drivers backrest. Searching ebay i came up with this little unit, cost was $39+ shipping. Its a Harley backrest, fits softails i think, fully adjustable height and angle which was nice. I started out with some 5/8 box tubing and a little plate steel i had laying around, Let me first point out that i've reworked my seat but this mod will work on a stock seat since im still using the original seat pan. i notched the pan to allow the box tubing to extend all the way up in the seat stopping just short of the top, I tacked the plate steel to it to give it good rigidity and support, held in place by 3 bolts up front and the seat latch bolt in rear. I added a bit of filler steel to the box tubing to make the seat post slide in snug with no slop, seat post required only a minimal amount of grinding to allow it to slide snugly into the box tubing. The wood strip is there just to prevent flexing, simply slides in place. Backrest slips in quick and easly and feels very secure! Doesn't interfere with passenger seating and removes in seconds!:yeahsmile:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I've completely changed the riding position on my bike, i've reworked the seat which sits me upright, with no forward slide into the tank, i'm using the handlebars off my 81 gs suzuki, which have more rise and pullback, Buell footpegs for more legroom and highway pegs.....works great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.