Kawasaki Versys Forum

Kawasaki Versys Forum (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/)
-   General Discussions - V-650 (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/)
-   -   Heading Out (https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/15861-heading-out.html)

Thumper 06-11-2011 04:38 PM

Heading Out

My wife and I are fortunate enough to have jobs where we can take off 2 to 3 weeks each year for travel. I am fortunate to have a wife that rides and will only travel by motorcycle.
We are leaving Florida this coming week to beat the heat. Heading up to the mountains for a few weeks. We don't make definite plans because we like to play it loosely and watch weather. We are hoping for Virginia to see our daughter and granddaughters. Probably spend some time on the Blueridge pkwy. Head over to West Va and Tennessee.
We have hit these states before and loved the roads, but this will be the first time on the Versys. Can't wait to blow this popsickle stand!
I looked at Motorcycleroads.com and Rt 5 (Nickle & Dime) out of Richmond lookes to be a nice ride since my daughter lives in Hampton. Any other suggestions from locals would be a great.

twowheeladdict 06-11-2011 05:38 PM

Take a look at Mad maps. They have maps of loop rides all throughout that area. Make sure and bring a jacket liner for the Cherohala and parts of the BRP. I was wearing perforated leathers in '07. The Valleys were in the 100s and the BRP was barely 70 degrees mid day. Had to put my rain jacket on over my gear.

Thumper 06-11-2011 06:31 PM

Oh yea, I had to do that same thing last time I was up there. Put my rain suit on over my jacket. I thought it was just me being a Florida boy. Gets cold man!
I do have the Mad Maps. Good resource for different areas. I always ask locals though, cause nobody knows better than riders from the area. If anyone comes down this way, I can put you on roads nobody seems to know about outside of Florida. Not like the rest of the country but still the best we have.

Capn Kirk 06-11-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 157437)
We are leaving Florida this coming week to beat the heat. Heading up to the mountains for a few weeks.

LOL, My family is heading to Florida for Vacation in a week.. (We live in Virginia) :D

Thumper 06-12-2011 05:46 AM

If I were here Capn, I have an extra bike and could have shown you some great backroads where I live. Florida's best kept secret.
Enjoy the vacation and use plenty of Sun Screen. :)

Capn Kirk 06-12-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 157494)
If I were here Capn, I have an extra bike and could have shown you some great backroads where I live. Florida's best kept secret.
Enjoy the vacation and use plenty of Sun Screen. :)

:thanx: for the kind offer! Maybe another time! Enjoy the BRP, it has a lot of beauty to offer. Enjoy the trip to see your young'ins. Ride Safe!