Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How do you handle when your work dictates how you get there . . . .

8K views 69 replies 40 participants last post by  angst 
#1 ·
Hey folks. How do you handle it when your employer "tries" to dictate how you get there. I have been subjected to intimidation tactics for weeks now and my best option is to ignore it. What do you think? They would prefer I drive a cage.:mad:

#3 ·
Do they provide you with a work vehicle to drive? If not then they have no leg to stand on.

#7 ·
They haven't a leg to stand on without a company-paid vehicle.

Then again, if you get to work looking like you crawled out of a ditch due to riding in foul weather and the inevitable helmet hair/wrinkled shirt and trousers, they could back-door it and say you need to look more presentable.

Actually getting there is your business, then it's theirs.

#8 ·
Well it's like since I AM married and have children they (a group of specific) folks think they have a right in telling me how to get there.
That depends....if you are in the miltary, they do have the right...to a point.

Outside of that, if it were me I would tell them to smooch heavily on the furry part of my rear. Once they get the idea that they can't intimidate/influence/harass you, they will move on to someone else more easily pushed around.

#11 ·
Why are you being so secretive about it. Tell us what they are saying and who it is. An employer has control over there property and there employees while they are on the clock, outside of those controls then they have no control of what you do. I am under a clause in my contract that is what's called a "morality clause" so what i do outside of work could affect my employment. Sounds like you work for family or something.

#13 ·
Could they be jealous? I have dealt with people who always start the crap with "Motorcycles are dangerous" and "you could get killed on that thing" etc... Most of the people saying would be too scared to try it so I think they put motorcycles down to justify why they dont try it themselves.

Sorry your employer is giving you grief. Are they worried about their insurance rates going up if you wreck?

#15 ·
next time and every time it happens just nod you head and walk away. soon they should get the point.

#17 ·
It is a free country, but when you collect a paycheck, your employer has you by the short and curlys.

I work for a guy who LOVES motorcycles. In fact, he was one of my MSF students. I work with another guy who was also one of my students. That said, we are prohibited from riding to work. We call on clients, and it would not present the proper company image for us to show up on site all sweaty with helmet hair.

I have a choice. Keep my job and drive my gas guzzling SUV or quit and ride my bike which I'll eventually have to sell to pay the bills.

#18 ·
I spent 4 months doped up recovering from a dirt bike crash and the following surgeries. My boss now tells me to be careful every Friday afternoon because he knows I will be out riding something. That is his nice way of saying he would like to not see me on a bike. It was a long 4 months for him and some of my coworkers who had to pull my slack also.

I doubt there is anything they could do but in reality if they don't like it they could make my life hell until I left. Do what you feel comfortable with but keep in mind that it could affect your future career moves.

If it is just coworkers..........I'd tell them where shove thier judgements.

#19 ·
Like others have said on here, if it is just coworkers and you're not worried about future promotions or they having the boss's ear, then I wouldn't worry about it...just ignore it. Though, if it is someone that has control over your career in any aspect, then you have to make a choice, job or cage. I do know that some places have control over things you do in your personal life and what type of image they would like, etc. If it is really bothering you I would go to your boss or your boss's boss and address the situation. (Not ratting on anyone, just ask if there is any problem with you commuting to work on a motorcycle.) You may want to add other tidbits to your specific situation and it also helps to find a boss who is a motocyclist also.

I knew a lady who was "let go" due to her insistence on riding. She rode Harleys, fully dressed (her and the bike), went to work early to change into nice clothes, after work, she changed back into the clothes and went home. The hint was dropped to her a couple of times, then her boss talked to her about it. How they didn't want that image portrayed. Well...she got upset, and did some other stuff (not wise stuff), needless to say, she doesn't work there anymore.

#20 ·
With a screen name of "Angst", I suspect there's a reason you refer to your self that way and discount your value as an employee. Honestly, having a help desk job, I'd probably be pissed, too. No offense to those who really love "helping" people, but I personally couldn't do that work (for obvious reasons...I guess I could go by "Angst" myself :D, but that's for another thread)

In these troubled times of high unemployment, I guess you need to prioritize and figure out if you can get another job where they're not pinheads. If you can't replace the income (sounds like that's the case), you probably shouldn't be the burr under the saddle. You may have to bide your time until you can tell them to take this job and shove it. I'd be looking around, but don't do anything dumb until you have a new job in hand. Really sucks to have to give in, but sometimes you have no choice.

This is a pretty important decision for most of us, and ultimately, it's one only you can make.

V-Zee

#34 ·
kills me to say it but....wise words indeed.
sometimes we all have to ....strike a balance.

#22 ·
Is it a health accident insurance problem? Just asking.
If you show up on time and "presentable" then I see nothing wrong with oyur present action. Where do you park the bike?

I confess to having a similar problem although nothing was said to me I had a management level job in Asia and i arrived on a bike. I walked into the building in riding gear, went into the washroom/restroom/toilet and came out looking like everyone else. I used to take 5 or 6 shirts to work on Monday and take them home on Friday. Work pants I left hanging in my office replaced them min once a week.
Got hassle about parking a bke in the managers lot as bikes were not allowed. Eventually got a permit for a Managers Conveyance:clap:

#26 ·
Most employers will avoid at all cost any talks of a pay increase. when ever the subject of the bike comes up tell them its the best you can do on your wages but if it such a concern for them maybe this would be a good time to talk about a pay increase. i'm sure the topic of your bike will suddenly not be an issue for them

#28 ·
Sounds like a group of small dicked airheads just trying to gain a little control over others. They've run out of folk at the church and now they're moving onto you. Tell them to pound it, don't ignore it because it gives them hope that they are convincing you.

#29 ·
like other said, if it's co-workers i would put them on ignore. If it is the bosses, you have to decide if it will affect your employment and really if you care. Sounds like you don't like your job all that much. But times are tough and getting another job could be tough. none of us knows your situation entirely, so you have to make the decisions.
I think one thing i might suggest is that if people are giving you grief about riding you might want to say how much you enjoy riding and how affordable it is and that you don't have some crazy sportbike. maybe even throw in how in some countries motorcycles outnumber cars!

Good luck.

#31 ·
I do about 10K kilometre per month on official travel and they say I cant ride because they provide me with a car and all paid expenses. i did ride once into Thailand but that's without the office knowledge.

Down here once they provide with a office car than you are done and they have a leg to stand,

on the other hand if you are the sole bread winner and the family say yo cant ride to work as they care for you than that's a tough call to argue.

#32 ·
Hey folks. How do you handle it when your employer "tries" to dictate how you get there. I have been subjected to intimidation tactics for weeks now and my best option is to ignore it. What do you think? They would prefer I drive a cage.:mad:
They gave up years ago.:D I have been riding to work now for over a decade and no one minds at all. Easier now that I have the saddlebags with the Versys, but even without I did it as long as it was over freezing. Actually, a few of my patients seem to think it is pretty cool to see my helmet in the office. Oh, and I haven't worn a tie either to work for at least that long...:thumb:

#33 ·
Thank you Everyone!

You know i have a bit of everything described on this thread. I have a small group of Dick Heads that work for Large Utilities company in the southeast USA that "prides" its self on a safety record, which I really think is not that great. Did I mention that I am coming up on the end of my contract renewal?

One thing that I have found to keep the Dick Heads away was to through some Pie back in their faces. So instead of sitting there listening to them moan on about me and my ride I started watching motorcycle accident videos on Youtube during free time. They really have nothing to say anymore about it. They can't stand there and watch the carnage, but I sit there and pick out the obvious stupid things that some of our riding brothers do behind the bar. I hate to say but the gene pool is cleaning itself up. Recently someone had an "accident" at work and died from there injuries. They always like to say bad things happen, but never go into the details that the dude was riding so fast that he caved in the side door of a mini van. It's the damn wreckless ones of us that are making the rest of us look awful.

As far as making a choice for work or ride. I like to think that I can ride. I can leave early enough to get to work to avoid all heat and not tstink from seat. Helmet is a HJC that keeps the hair from getting funky and clothes are unwrinkled. I get to work and don't run around at lunch because of the location of work not being near anywhere I would like to go at lunch. I go home. I wear a HI-VIZ jacket and ride very cautiously. ****! This is my 1st bike ever. Been riding for nearly 2 1/2 years now and racked up 40K miles so far. I think I am doing something right. I'll keep you posted as to how my situation turns out. Wish me some Luck.

Keep riding!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.