Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Recommend any handguards cheaper than Barkbuster Storm?

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  bc6805 
#1 ·
This is really a 2 part question. I intend to ride through the winter whenever there is no snow/ice, I would like handguards. The Barkbuster storms are great, but I'm really trying to mitigate spending and address debt right now, if there is a product that will be almost as good for less cash, I'd like to know about it.

Secondarily---as I look at the Storm's, I see them in a wide range of prices ($120-180) and also a separate mounting kit that's also around $100. Surely something like this is an all-in-one kit purchase, yes?

#2 · (Edited)
i too looked at the barkbusters but saved a fare bit by buying kawasaki own ones from the main dealers saved 1500 baht (42 us dollars )
i looked at others but they were too short due to the brake reservoir . price was 4100 baht ( 113 us ) and they came in black or green i personally like them better and the quality is very good ,if you want i can post photo latter its night here so dark

#18 ·
Barkbuster Storm vs Blizzard

I had a set of Barkbuster Storms on an ER6n (Ninja). I now have a set of Blizzards on my 2015 650 Versys.

The Blizzards are so much more effective that its not funny. They are also much easier to install and remove in the warmer months.

They are still not as effective as the Oxford handlebar muffs, but are easier to use. The muffs tend to foul the levers. No such problem with the Blizzards.

BruceC

#4 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I also have a KLR with OEM handguards...great for keeping the wind off my hands in winter.

I tried to find an affordable set for the Versys for weeks, nothing really stood out. So, I also bought some mitts.

Oxford Motorcycle Mitts - $50
Oxford Handlebar Muffs for Motorcycles - TwistedThrottle.com

Great fit, no modification needed. Installs in about 3 minutes. I can access all of my controls. These will hold me over until I find some handguards I like...

I like the Bark Buster Muffs above...little more open.
I'll probably go for the Bark Buster Storms from TW in the spring after I give the muffs a try...

#9 ·
#16 · (Edited)
I've had handguards which I later had to remove due to installing Gaffer SS brake lines. I also do a lot of cold weather riding because of the local climate. Here's my brain dump, for what it is worth, on cold weather riding... Don't bother with hand guards, they don't have much of a noticeable effect on the warmth of your hands. Instead focus on gear. Instead invest in a good set of heated grips or heated gloves and heated jacket liner. Oxford heated grips are relatively cheap and work well, they're are also other good heated grips. Heated gloves are more expensive but warmer than heated grips and better for extended periods of riding in the cold. The downside to heated gloves is they are not as convenient as heated grips and twice the price. Heated gloves or grips and heated jacket liner are the cat's ass in cold weather (<50F to 32F). A heated jacket liner is almost essential if you are riding for extended periods, at higher speeds, in near freezing temperatures. You also need two heat controllers if you run heated gloves and heated jacket liner. Motorcycle pants are essential, jeans just don't block the wind in cold weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.