Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Thermostat o-ring leak

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fastoman 
#1 ·
Just want to provide a heads up.

While doing a oil change last weekend I noticed a small drip of antifreeze accumulating at the bottom of the thermostat housing. Also noticed signs of drainage on the lower left fairing and block. I checked the coolant recovery tank and it was still full. So as a test I wiped the small drip and ran the bike around the block. With the engine stopped I took another look and sure enough the tear of antifreeze was at the bottom of the housing and I could smell a hint of burning sweetness. So I re torqued the bolts which did slow down the leak but it was still there.
So I went to the dealership and ordered the $5 o-ring and ripped right into it. Also noticed that the hose clamp was somewhat easy to turn initially but I did not want to take any chances. Upon inspection I did not find any issues with the old o-ring. But I did notice those hard water spots you normally see in the shower on the flat mounting surface engine side. So I clean the white spots from the mounting location and added a thin layer of high temp grease on the mounting surface and to the o-ring. Replaced the cheap hose clamp with a beefier one. Followed the coolant replacement procedure to a tee and after 4 complete cool downs no more drips. :clap:

The bike is a 2009 with about 3400 miles in Illinois.

If you see a leak on the left side I would check in this order.

Re-tighten hose clamp
Re-tighten thermostat bolts (it should be 87 inch-pounds, not foot pounds)
Replace o-ring and hose clamp

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same problem on my 07. No noticable fluid loss but def leak at the thermostat. Took it into my dealer, no questions asked. They didn't even check the computer to see if my 3 year warranty was legit (they know me pretty well since I'm in there looking/buying something every two weeks hehe).

They ended up flushing the system, changing the thermostat and replacing the O ring. Still some good shops out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.