Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Concerns of an older rider

19K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
I find myself at 65 years old at a crossroads of sorts... I've been riding since 1972 and would like to continue to ride, but I find that the larger bikes are just heavier than I feel comfortable with. I bought a 2019 Yamaha XT250 which I have set up for trail riding. (Love that bike already!) Now, I want to go with a 300x for my street riding bike if I can "dial it in" to suit my needs and size. My plan is to change the sprockets to a 15 front/ 44 rear which I have already bought. (Yes, I've read the sprocket change thread...) Change the seat to a tall Seat Concepts seat. I'm 6'2". Those two mods should give me the comfort and lower rpm range that I think will make this bike all I need for highway travel at 70-75 mph.
In the collective wisdom of this site do you think these changes will give me a bike that will suit me?
I'm looking at several deals right now, but haven't bought a 300x yet.

#2 ·
Have you test ridden one? I really thought I wanted a Versys 300X until I rode one. It might look like an adventure bike, but it rides like a Ninja 300. A lot of high RPM revving to do what you want to do. It doesn't hurt the engine, but is definitely a different experience if you have previously had bikes tuned for low RPM torque.

#3 ·
What always amazes me is how much more light and nimble my X300 feels compared with my V-Strom 650. On paper it does not look much but in the real world the X300 is much more nimble, but still stable and so much less intimidating to ride in tricky situations.

I am also surprised that geared up a little that it can certainly hold its own on major roads. Sure you need to rev it but that motor is well tested and reliable.
If you trail ride an XT250 the seat height will not be an issue and the bike will travel so much easier than you Yamaha.

For a 300 it is still a "full sized" bike, although slim, and I lowered the footpegs on mine for an even more relaxed ride. I'm 69. 5' 11".

#4 ·
I would take a serious look at the V-650 before your final decision.

I too am an "old fart" at 67. I rode all the fast and sporty stuff prior the my 2015 V-650. Gotta say the V-650 is the most fun street bike I have ever owned.

It is super nimble and great handling. Plenty fast too, it gets to 80 mph pretty fast and 100 is not a problem either.

At 67 I don't need to be going a buck 50 anymore like I used to do on the liter bikes.

Ride both bikes before you buy cuz there is nuthin worse than buyers remorse.

#5 ·
My $.02-

I'm 56, 5'11 180 pounds, recently bought a 650 after riding both it and several 300s. I didn't have a lot of motorcycle experience before buying - a dozen or so hours on dirt bikes, and a few years of riding a 200cc scooter (which I still have - it's way better than either Versys in city traffic).

I ended up going with the 650. But the 300 is definitely a "nimbler" feeling bike, and with the larger spoked wheels it is also a better choice if your touring is going to include non-paved surfaces. The fact that you have to rev the heck out of it didn't bother me, since I've never owned a HD.. But in the end, I decided that it just had too much "mission overlap" with the scooter. Since you've got a 250cc dirt bike already, and are plenty tall, I'm guessing the 650 *might* be a better choice. Definitely test ride both.

The 650 with a full tank of gas definitely feels top-heavy to me, and I've probably dropped it more times while trying new things than I would have a 300. Gotta like those crash bars and barkbusters! What's the point of an "ADV" bike if your not willing to get it dirty or drop it occasionally ;-)

-dm

#8 ·
Ergos are fantastic. My little green machine is an all day rocket.

I am 5' 9" and it is very comfortable. I have often done 500 miles in one day. Yes I am tired but not all beat up like I was on my Ninja 1000 or Yamaha FZ-09.

I installed an MRA touring screen which is a big improvement over the stock screen. Really blocks the wind with little or no buffeting. I can ride all the way to 90 mph or so before the wind will shut my helmet shield that was open on the first notch.

Try and get a test ride on the V-650 but make sure you are ready to fall in love. Every time I think I am getting an itch for something bigger or faster I just take my V for a ride and the itch gets scratched away in short order.

Good luck.

#9 ·
I am 67 and have ridden road bikes the past 50 years. Two KZ1000s, two Goldwings, Harleys and two BMW K bikes and one BMW RT. I currently have 2016 BMW K1600GT. I bought a really clean low mileage 2014 Versys last September and am loving the bike. I have told all my riding buddies how much fun it is to ride through the curves. Plenty of get up and go and light enough to really make riding it fun. I have even done some riding off the tarmac on some dirt and gravel roads and it does great. Not selling my Beemer road bike, but will keep the Versys for a long time for our day rides and the annual trips to Big Bend and Colorado, to which I haul to and camp. Just my two cents worth.

#13 · (Edited)
Just to complicate things a bit my brother is looking for a bike to hang off the back of his Roadtrek camper van. He was pretty much zeroing in on the 300x but is now looking strongly at the 400 "Ninjette". A tad bit lighter and more power for highway usage with ABS braking. I assume it's suspension would not be as good for off road but still good enough for what he plans for it. Seat height is listed at 30".

I hope he buys it, I'd like to try it. :thumb:

#18 ·
Just to complicate things a bit my brother is looking for a bike to hang off the back of his Roadtrek camper van. He was pretty much zeroing in on the 300x but is now looking strongly at the 400 "Ninjette". A tad bit lighter and more power for highway usage with ABS braking. I assume it's suspension would not be as good for off road but still good enough for what he plans for it. Seat height is listed at 30".

I hope buys it, I'd like to try it. :thumb:

A Versys 400X might get my interest. I love the Van Van 200 for hauling on the back of the truck though.

Attachments

#14 ·
It looks like I'm one of the spring chickens here at 59 yrs old. 5'10" tall and 150lbs.

The ergos are good. After bruising a knee in an off road incident, I found the foot pegs too high for comfort. A peg lowering kit is much more comfortable, and actually I like it better for standing too. For me the handlebars were a bit too far away. I don't like the leaned over posture, so bar risers were added which fixed that issue.

The stock seat is either like it or not. I went with a Sargent aftermarket seat and love it. All the aftermarket seats get excellent reviews. Lots of threads on seats on this forum.

If you're looking at luggage, my advice is don't get the factory side cases. Lots of threads on those, too. They're excellent boxes for some missions, and they mount/dismount fast without added racks. Anyhow, research the luggage before deciding which way to go.

#19 ·
My versys 1000 is currently the largest bike I own. I sold a v-strom 650 gen1 to make room for it, and they both feel about the same weight. I know that the versys is heavier, but at slow speed, they feel about the same. And once moving, they are nothing alike. :)

I also have a ktm duke 690, now that is light weight. I had a klx 250 supermoto and the ktm is not much heavier, but sure is a lot more fun !

What I seem to be doing, as sixty is closing in on me, is riding lighter bikes (sold the valkyrie interstate and rune) and wearing a lot more of a lot higher end gear. (leather not mesh, CE armor not foam pads, pants and boots with jacket/gloves)

I believe I'm adjusting the factors in the risk reward equations, I'm reducing risk as much as possible. I maybe reducing the reward somewhat, not as many long trips, no more triple digit rides with sport bikes making crazy passes.

With these adjustments, the equation still works out to "RIDE"

#21 ·
Im 5 ft. 8, 30 in. inseam also and went full lowering kit, pegs also and 2 inch bar risers. Lowered Sargent seat for better foot plant. V650 perfect for me now, LOVE this motorcycle. I dont ride off road really on this bike so I dont need the extra clearance. But the lowering kit only brings it down an inch and a half anyways, just enough to make a difference. A little more road bike feeling on pavement and twisties...

#23 ·
I've ridden the Moto Guzzi 85tt (owned many MGs and really wanted to like it...) but didn't because of the vibes right where I cruise 70-75 mph. Ridden and like the Honda 500x, Suzuki vstom 650, but not the other bikes listed. Think I'd be happy with a Honda or Suzuki or a versys 650...
Let me add one more detail to this discussion... For me... I don't have the need or desire to ride long distance freeway miles any longer... If I attend a rally that 400 to 500 miles or longer away from me I'll load my smaller motorcycles on my trailer or in the bed of my truck. My Yamaha XT250 is perfect for rallies that offer some trails...
My thought is that if geared properly and the seat is changed for comfort that a 300x would give me a light bike that could travel at 70-75 if I needed it to. Vast majority of my riding these days is back road blasts through beautiful Kentucky roads at speeds less than 70 mph...

#25 ·
Then I really suggest you try out the Himalayan. Inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to own, and easy to maintain. Can be bought in Decatur, AL for MSRP out the door. Pay your taxes when you register the bike. Used ones are really inexpensive if you can find them.

Interesting that you start out by saying the V85TT had vibrations right where you cruise and then in the discussion say that 70-75 mph would be a rare occurrence. Mmm. I'm wondering how many miles were on the bike you test rode and what RPMs you were running. The small blocks like to rev especially until they are well broke in. I never cruise below 4000 RPMs on my V7III when in the higher gears.

You have a lot of choices out there. How about throwing a Ducati Scrambler into the mix. Really enjoyed my test ride on one.

#27 · (Edited)
I replaced my XT225 with a Versys 300. Unless you're talking about really rough off road trails, I see them as basically having the same function except the Versys is much better on the highway. If you get the Versys X300, you may find it can do everything you need the XT to do...and more.

Before you buy the seat, consider a Russell Sport or Day Long. They can make the seat fit you. There is no substitute for a Russell.

#28 · (Edited)
I replaced my XT225 with a Versys 300. Unless you're talking about really rough off road trails, I see them as basically having the same function except the Versys is much better on the highway. If you get the Versys X300, you may find it can do everything you need the XT can do...and more.

Before you buy the seat, consider a Russell Sport or Day Long. They can make the seat fit you. There is no substitute for a Russell.
I had the Russel seat on a one liter Connie, loved it for 160k miles.

I priced one for the 650 and it came in at about $900, and that was not leather.

I did purchase a Seat Concepts standard height seat for it. I've put about 55k miles on it. It seems not as comfy for rides over 3-4 hours now, not good enough.

I ordered up a Terry Adcox seat last month for May delivery. About $300 plus shipping. Custom fitting. Good reputation and good guy to work with, so far.

#32 ·
Different bike, different seat. They, at least when I checked three years ago, considered the 650 model a two level seat and wanted a higher price. That really bummed me out 'cuz I am a Daylong fanboy.

#35 ·
I’m 6’2”, 68 years old. I have a Corbin seat and lowered pegs which works fine for me. Did 12,000 me trip to Alaska last June / July. Runs 80 plus on western highway just fine. Just accept high revs is where this engine wants to be and don’t be afraid to down shift to 5th to hold 80 on hills or into headwind.

24,000 total miles on 300x and planning trip to Newfoundland this summer.

#36 ·
5'9", 60 yo, owned a 17 300x for 2 years. the seat is hard, an air hawk pad took care of that for me. it revs high but it tolerates that easily, it just took a shift in mindset to accept that, it does it happily all day. if i ever had to go to one bike this is it. light, dirt and light off road capable, steady at highway speeds, plenty of luggage options, economical and reliable, upright riding position, very maneuverable. its a do it all bike, thats light enough, that i can lift it all day should the need arise. i came to it from a 1000 vstrom so the revs took a bit of time to get used to but it happens pretty quickly, i just had to trust the bike would'nt blow up. the only criticisms ive heard are the revs and the seat, but since it doesn't vibrate at high revs, its no problem in riding. oh it needs an aftermarket windsheild, there is no buffeting but the wind noise is insufferable, i went with the mra, other farkles were crash bars, skid plate, bar risers,center stand, givi luggage rack with pelican style side cases and tail box, accessory led lights, and heated grips. btw i also have a tw 200 so i think i understand why you'd want the versys to complement the dual sport.

#37 ·
After much consideration I made a deal with my local dealer for a leftover 2019 Kawasaki Versys 300 and traded my Kawasaki Classic 900 in on it. Got a red one. I'll pick it up next week. Big bike days are over for this older gentleman... I always told myself that when I got to a place in my riding life when I didn't feel comfortable - I'd know it before it was too late. I'm there and I know it.

#38 ·
Congratulations! Now comes improvement time! Here are my observations.

If you make a gearing change, consider changing the rear sprocket to a 43 and leave the front sprocket with the vibration reducing insert intact. I went on and changed the chain to a DID gold.

I installed a SW Motech crash bar for the purpose of installing highway pegs. I got the heaviest highest rated highway pegs I could find, along with the MotoWerke peg mounting system. The pegs vibrate way too much to use. I may wrap them with pipe insulation, or put rubber strips between the peg mounting system and the bars, but I'm not sure highway pegs on this bike are doable. I was really disappointed. Frame sliders may be a better choice.

When tire change time comes (I changed at 2,000 miles) consider the Outex tube elimination kit. A TPMS is a good idea. I did that this winter and installed Pirelli Scorpion 2 tires. I have done one 200 mile ride and there was a noticeable increase in smoothness at speed. No leaks. I don't think the Kawasaki balances the tires on delivery. That may have the same improvement for less money.

#41 · (Edited)
I installed a SW Motech crash bar for the purpose of installing highway pegs. I got the heaviest highest rated highway pegs I could find, along with the MotoWerke peg mounting system. The pegs vibrate way too much to use.
For me, highway pegs are a game changer for long days in the saddle. After trying several cheap peg pairs that vibrated wildly I went with the Rivco anti vibration pegs. Wow, dont feel anything with these. These are the real deal for me and worth the money.
I also mounted them to SWMotech without using the clamp to the bar system courtesy of a mod I found here by Quexpress. Very clean and more efficient as far as vibration as well because there would be more vibration at the tube compared to the base....

Attachments

#39 ·
I have both a 15 front tooth gear and a 44 tooth rear. So replace the rear and leave the front alone?
My upgrade list (after gearing change...) in order of importance is:

1. Seat Concepts tall seat
2. Center stand
3. Taller windshield
4. Larger rear rack
5. Luggage racks - I have throw over bags that will work
6. T-rex engine guards
7. Yoshamuri exhaust

That will get me started...

#44 ·
You trying to take away any acceleration the bike may have with that sprocket combination? Will it even have enough power in 6th gear to travel at highway speeds? My '11 Versys hit top speed in 5th gear, not 6th which told me it didn't need a sprocket change that would make it even worse.

When I was considering the Versys 300 I was thinking of going the opposite direction on the sprockets to get some get up and go.

#40 ·
Stock sprocket is 14 tooth front, 46 tooth rear. I suggested leaving the stock front 14 tooth because it has the vibration reducing ring, and install a 43 tooth rear. This is equivalent to a 15 front 46 tooth rear.

I'm doing everything I can to keep Kawasaki's vibration reducing systems in place.

Reactions: Brockie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.