Overheating issues, is this considered normal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2wheels4fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Overheating issues, is this considered normal?

I was out riding today and the temperature was around 33c (about 90f) and my bike began heating up so much is was burning the inside of my thighs.

This was after sitting at the lights, occasionally moving at slow speeds for around 5 minutes.

I checked the engine temp on the display and it was full bars to the top!

I was getting a bit concerned but once I started moving it cooled down by 2 bars.

Tank still felt very hot, but was bearable and got me home okay...

Is this considered normal or should I change the coolant or maybe have the coolant system checked out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 06:08 AM

Garage
Check if you got an oil leak or a coolant leak. I assume you have the V300.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 06:17 AM

Also check if fan was on when hit top bar. I think it comes on at the second from top bar.
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The fan should have come on and lowered the temp while sitting at a light.

You are going to feel the heat because you have an engine between your legs. When moving though the tops of your legs should feel hotter from the sun than the inside of your thighs from the bike.

If the cooling system is operating correctly, you could change to "Engine Ice" which is supposed to be a more efficient heat transfer fluid. I switched to "Engine Ice" in my liquid cooled bikes at the first coolant service interval.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Probably should of checked this first.. but turns out there was pretty much no coolant in the reservoir at all 😱.

Going to do a flush and leak test, will then fill up with engine ice, thanks for the tip.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Funny that you mention this...I was checking my rad reservoir and couldn't see any coolant either.
I've never had an overheating issue - mind you I'm commuting and at 5:30 AM here it's just above freezing. Suffice to say it's always cool and the bike runs at 2 bars, sometimes 3.
So I still think I might have coolant leak though there's never been a spot on garage floor - neither home nor office.
So I bought some coolant and promptly overfilled till it was spilling on the floor. Then I went for a ride to heat things up and watched this drip drip drip on the ground - removed the ride side lower cover and lo and behold, dripping out the overflow tube like its supposed to.
I'm not the best mechanic...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The coolant overflow tank level is very difficult to see and the only way I have found to properly view it is by backlighting it with a flashlight from the fork side of the fairing. FYI, I live in hot, humid southern Illinois (in summer) and the X 300 will heat up quick while stopped or while riding very slowly. It should drop pretty fast as you increase speed and get some airflow through the radiator,
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 PM

Garage
Called it... I knew...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

So I just pulled it all apart and did a coolant change.

You're right about the coolant being hard to see between the fairings, as once I had the fairings off I could see there was actually a small amount of fluid in the reservoir (still below the low level).

I saw online that the bike should hold approx 1.5 litres of coolant combined in the radiator/cooling system and the reservoir. I only got about half a litre out of the drain plug.. so it was definitely low.

I haven't noticed any leaking whatsoever, and all the hoses, joints and plugs were clean and dry. This is my first coolant service as the new owner so I'm not sure where the rest of the coolant went. As far as I know unless you have a leak it should never drop in level?

Refilled with engine ice and appears to be fine so far, will just have to keep and eye on it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
Check if you got an oil leak or a coolant leak. I assume you have the V300.
There's no leaks. Just did an oil change but shouldn't be related?

This is on the V300. Do you know if the coolant could just "evaporate" over time?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels4fun View Post
Also check if fan was on when hit top bar. I think it comes on at the second from top bar.
Not sure if the fan came on. If it heats up again I'll check for this.

Doesn't appear to be a simple way to test the fan other than this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 PM

Garage
Yes, every 1000 miles and evap small amount. My car and moto does the same thing. If you pour to the maximum line and no air is in the system it should stay at the line for around 3000 miles also depends your weather and riding style. If some how you had too keep pouring and pouring and pouring every day or every other day you need check your oil for milky content and or leak.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 PM

Now that I've filled the reservoir on mine to the max, it should be easy to tell if it declines or evaporates. Stay tuned.
Then again, the forecast here is for rain for 10 days so I gotta wait 😕

Last edited by Pekes17; 01-03-2020 at 11:11 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykers View Post
...Do you know if the coolant could just "evaporate" over time?...
ONLY if you run straight water (which isn't recommended!), I believe.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

All seems to be good now that I have changed the coolant.

I've noticed the fan is working fine too. It seems to start up after the engine has warmed up slightly (2 bars).

Will just have to keep at eye on the fluid levels. It has seemed to have dropped a little already. This could be normal as I did overfill it a tiny bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in