Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

When to exactly do 1st service on...?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Vincenzo Campisi 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Versyers!

I wonder, when to exactly do the 1st service of my VX, considering manual says until 600 miles, but also says:

"Service more frequently when operating in severe conditions: dusty, wet, muddy, high speed, or frequent starting/stopping."

Mine has around 300 miles now, and it's being ride under frequent starting/stopping (due to urban horrific traffic days).

So, i don't know when exactly could be done the service. I'm thinking maybe at 450-500 miles.

Regards, Ride Safe!

#2 ·
Vincenzo - by frequent starting/stopping they are referring to frequent starting/stopping of the ENGINE as in shutting down after a ride. Don't worry about what YOU are doing as being operating in severe conditions, because it isn't.

#6 ·
Call me fussy but I like to do an extra oil/filter change at 300/400 kms after at least 4 or 5 heat cycles.
By then any bits (gasket material etc) will have found their way into the filter and most rubbing parts will have a shine on them. Sure, journals and the like still need to properly bed in so although I will rev the bike I only use part throttle.

#9 ·
Call me fussy but I like to do an extra oil/filter change at 300/400 kms after at least 4 or 5 heat cycles.
On any new vehicle I always do an oil change at about 500 miles. Then again at about 1,000 miles. As Fast Eddie says, oil and filters are cheap!

After that, every 5,000 miles or once per year even if that vehicle hasn't driven 5,000 miles since the last change.

Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil (motorcycle specific oil for bikes), and a top quality filter.

I have installed Fumoto oil drain valves in my Versys and my car. They make an oil change super clean and easy. Buy the tubing with the filter!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.