Trans America Trail - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By KawaGeezer
  • 1 Post By whisperquiet
  • 1 Post By KawaGeezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Trans America Trail

So I have this crazy idea about doing the Trans America Trail. Do you think it could be completed on a X300 with some mods?? Has anyone here ever done it? I am thinking the light weight and low standover of the Versys might make it a good candidate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2019, 10:28 PM

I have not done the TAT but read about it and want to at some point. I think a X-300 would do well with a few mods, the right set of tires and some rider skill. The tricky parts are wet/sloppy parts out on the plains and the high altitude stuff gets rough in CO.

Crash bars, fat handlebars and guards, and some soft luggage would make a sweet TAT rig IMO

Much better info on the route challenges and particulars on the advrider.com forums.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
Old 10-27-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was thinking the same thing. I took the Versys into some think nasty gooey mud recently and it impressed me. I have also taken it up and down some steep gravel roads and she went up them easily especially if I stood up.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:06 AM

Location: Southwest Colorado east of Durango in the wilderness (bears, lions, etc.)
I did the Colorado portion of the TAT last Sept (2018). I’ve read it’s the hardest portion (with the possible exception of some states with deep sand or mud, and that depends mostly on tires). I was on a dedicated dirt bike( Husaberg FE 390) but I’ve done the same mountain portions on KLR 250 and also ATVs). We saw Tenere’s, V-Storms, big BMWs, etc. and one Triumph Tiger doing the same. Now I also have a Versys X300 with T-Rex skid plate and crash bars. I’ve also added Mitas E07 tires and I’m fully confident my X300 is up to anything the TAT can throw at it. I live in the wilderness in S.E. Colorado and 1/2 of my 2800 miles has been off pavement - and some of that has been on some rough, unimproved trails. The biggest challenge is the suspension - very good, but short for rough stuff (I’m spoiled to soft, long enduro suspensions). Since I stand up a lot anyway, it is no problem. I’m 6’3” and 210 lbs. I raised the bars 2” with Rox Pivoting Risers, and lowered the factory foot pegs 1”. Also added flat, wide off road foot peg adapters to the oem foot pegs bases. THE SEAT IS WAY TOO HARD for anything- esp trails. I put a Mad Dog ATV seat cover over some extra foam right on the factory seat. MUCH better. I added a phone bracket and fabricated a bar for aux lights, and Enduro Engineering bark busters with wind deflectors. Added Battery Tender brand USB adapter. I have Fieldsheer soft paniers - but I need some type of brackets to hold them better. I bungee / strap either my 20 liter or 30 liter dry bag onto the pillion seat and at all works great! Watch the ground clearance under the skid plate and let your X300 do its thing!!! I LOVE this little gem and plan to keep her!!!
onewizard and ulito23 like this.

KawaGeezer
Old 10-31-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow I guess she is up for the task! Did you do Engineer Pass?
Old 10-31-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lev View Post
Wow I guess she is up for the task! Did you do Engineer Pass?
I did it on my KTM 690 in August......very rough on the Ouray side and would not like to ride it on my X300 without a big skid plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 470C86D3-D5A5-44C3-BAEF-E145AFE74359.jpg (20.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 12C7E9A2-ED94-4B28-8911-01C60E037F0E.jpg (36.0 KB, 22 views)
falcon. likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I saw a YouTube of Engineers pass and it looked like a beast
Old 11-01-2019, 04:01 AM

Location: Southwest Colorado east of Durango in the wilderness (bears, lions, etc.)
We did Cinnamon Pass on our TAT trip last Sept (on the Husabergs, as I mentioned) but we have ridden Engineer, California, Stoney, and others also- I live less than 2 hours south of Silverton, so riding that area is only a day trip, or overnight if we ride more places. Engineer has some challenging areas, but the X300 will do it welll - and any of those other passes with careful riding and low speed. Pick the best line to avoid beating up the skid plate. Cinnamon is easier, but has some serious vertical dropoffs, esp on the east side. For anyone used to riding rough terrain it shouldn’t be a problem. (I’m 71 years old and it’s still fun!). The TAT has it all, even boring parts at times, but it’s still Adventure riding fun. My Berg has a range of 115 miles, so I carried gas, but never really needed it. I’m getting 300 miles plus from the X300 tank (yes, I ride like an old man), so no worries there. Don’t hit bad bumps/rocks at speed and the X300 will master the TAT!
ulito23 likes this.

KawaGeezer
Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
300 miles on a tank wow! I have been filling up at 200 miles and usualy have 1 1/4 gallons left. This is when I ride backroads not WOT highways
Old 11-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I just read a VG review of the V 300 as one of the BEST small ADV bikes, on "CYCLE WORLD" I believe. Trying to find it again....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in