Tyre treads and wear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tyre treads and wear

I recently bought a two year old Versys 300X which has now done 3500 miles on the original tyres. There is 4mm of tread left on the rear so I would be interested to know what the tread depth is on a new tyre.
The manual recommends changing the rear once you get to 3mm tread if you do a lot of high speed road work (which I do) so I want to try and guestimate when I need a tyre change. I think the 3mm is because these are tubed tyres and a blow out on a tubed tyre at high speed is not a pretty thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:05 AM

Too much obsession and this guestimate will not work as it depends on plethora of variables, mainly your mood which will define your acceleration habits, temperature, etc.. Just book a replacement time once it wears clearly into the wear marks and don't think you can't ride it a few days on a relatively worn tire. How much you can get out of tires, brake pads, chain, etc you will regulate with your right wrist. Decades ago, brand new motorcycles had worse tires, brakes and chains than borderline-finished wearables are today. They just didn't trash them, you as a rider always need to be on top of your game and ride accordingly to what you have to work with.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A lot of tyres have wear strips, its a small strip of rubber positioned in certain groves on the tyre, when the tyre is at the same level as the strip then time to change. Where I live the rules are 1.5mm depth of tread over 3/4 of the tyre. I personally change mine out in plenty of time as im heavy on the throttle and the corners.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:02 AM

My OEM rear was toast at 4000 miles. Shinko 804/805s were great and went 8000 miles. Currently have a Mitas E07 on rear with over 6000 miles looking good. Shinko and Mitas more aggressive for off road but give up nothing on road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode