Rust - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rust

Recently bought a two year old X. Got my mechanic to fit engine bars. These are by Givi and require the replacement of an engine bolt. The bolt was corroding quite badly. Bike has 3000 miles on the clock. He also checked the shock linkages and they were as dry as a camel's crutch. I shall be getting the bike winterized by All Year Biker to try and minimise further deterioration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 PM

I put anti seize on all my bolts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Coastal VA. Everything rusts or molds practically overnight. I took a bike to the Outer Banks and had to park it outside. One night and the cig power plug corroded to the point I had connection issues on my way home.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Coastal VA. Everything rusts or molds practically overnight. I took a bike to the Outer Banks and had to park it outside. One night and the cig power plug corroded to the point I had connection issues on my way home.
So true. Those of us living by the ocean need to take into account corrosion from salt in the air. Even in my garage. Particularly annoying is when it gets into electrical connections that I have done,like bullit connectors. Now I solder when I can and have some dialectic grease for future corrosion causing faulty connects. By the way,WD40 was originally inspired to deter rust on steel,it will help.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 09-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
To prevent rust don't store your bike outdoors. NEVER store your bike during the winter outside. Use a well-vented cover if you must store your bike outdoors during the riding season.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I visit the Gulf Coast frequently for work. Many of the used bikes were owned by young military who have no choice but to park them outdoors. Crazy amount of corrosion on the bikes their. Between condensation, UV rays, and salt fog, the bikes get eaten up pretty quickly unless well cared for.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode