Spark Arrestor? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spark Arrestor?

I can't wait for someone to tell me where I am wrong with this, but I can't find a spark arrestor for my stock 2017 Versys X 300 muffler.

I just assumed that any bike advertised as an on road - off road bike would have a spark arrestor installed, or at least an OEM or aftermarket option.

I could make my own, but it would not be USFS approved, and I like to keep that group happy.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Inside the muffler would be my guess......although since they are not "advertised" as an "off-road" vehicle they probably don't even require one. Just my .02's.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Inside the muffler is correct, and what the USFS generally does is look for the "USFS Approved" words stamped into the side of the muffler somewhere, or at the end of the spark arrestor flange around the muffler's rear exhaust pipe. Or, they insert something straw-like into the rear of the exhaust, and if that straw hit the screen within a few inches, they know a spark arrestor is installed. If that straw doesn't stop at a screen or meet any resistance, then they conclude no spark arrestor is there. I did all that as well, and have determined that I don't have a muffler with a spark arrestor included (including looking inside with a flashlight). The parts diagram for the stock muffler does not show one either.

Maybe I have been missing the fact that its not the company that says it is an off road bike ("off pavement" is the only quote I could find from Kawasaki), but maybe I got that in my head from numerous you tube blogs and written articles from riders that do take the X - 300 off road.

Thanks again for the reply...

(...going to ride in Colorado in a few weeks, so i still need a spark arrestor!)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Inside the muffler would be my guess......although since they are not "advertised" as an "off-road" vehicle they probably don't even require one. Just my .02's.
Hiya Duffy. If you want to ride USFS trails a spark arrestor is required whether factory equipped or after market. Pretty much everything except cars and trucks including generators and chain saws requires an arrestor.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Hiya Duffy. If you want to ride USFS trails a spark arrestor is required whether factory equipped or after market. Pretty much everything except cars and trucks including generators and chain saws requires an arrestor.
Yeah, I'm aware of their rules but since Ma Kaw doesn't advertise the V (any of them) as "off road" vehicles I doubt that the mufflers installed meet the USFS standards. Therefore you must stay on improved roads.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM

I put on a Yosh R-77 slip-on for the cooler (and safer) noise it makes. The included quiet insert is still loud enough to alert other driver and doubles as a USFS approved spark arrestor. Don't know if you want to drop that much cash on your bike, but I think it's a worthy upgrade. Also, it may end up being cheaper than a ticket in the end.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Call one or a few of the ranger stations in the areas you plan to ride and ask about your fully street legal and unmodified bike. The spark arrestor rule is generally for OHV which are sometimes run on closed courses, and often have zero restriction in the exhaust.

Also, depending on where you plan to ride, the chances of seeing a ranger to enforce this rule could be close to zero. Sadly, budget cuts over the last decade mean fewer and fewer personnel to patrol for these kinds of things. I live near and ride in the White River NF all the time, and in the last 10 years have never had a ranger stop me to check my exhaust on a KLR or WR250R (both aftermarket), I have seen a few but they dont flag me down to check things out. On local BLM land once I ran into an 'official' and he was more concerned about me having the OHV sticker, when he realized the KLR was street legal he gave me a thumbs up and moved on, and he could clearly hear the modified exhaust on my KLR.

So its possible a cranky ranger could give you a ticket on a stock exhaust, my experience is once they see blinkers and a road plate they dont care. The enforcement is focused on dirt bikes, 4-wheelers and SxS crowd.

Additionally, this summer is not a critical wildfire season, big winter and regularly wet summer so far. Unlike last year when things would catch fire if you looked at them funny. So enforcement will be relaxed based on that

Where are you planning to ride out here?

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedtime Sneakers View Post
I put on a Yosh R-77 slip-on for the cooler (and safer) noise it makes. The included quiet insert is still loud enough to alert other driver and doubles as a USFS approved spark arrestor. Don't know if you want to drop that much cash on your bike, but I think it's a worthy upgrade. Also, it may end up being cheaper than a ticket in the end.
Thank you...I did install the Yosh R-77 with the spark arrestor - and found the cooler noise you mentioned must be the deeper sound it emits! But, now I have the stock muffler as well as an Akrapovic setting in my garage.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Call one or a few of the ranger stations in the areas you plan to ride and ask about your fully street legal and unmodified bike. The spark arrestor rule is generally for OHV which are sometimes run on closed courses, and often have zero restriction in the exhaust.

Also, depending on where you plan to ride, the chances of seeing a ranger to enforce this rule could be close to zero. Sadly, budget cuts over the last decade mean fewer and fewer personnel to patrol for these kinds of things. I live near and ride in the White River NF all the time, and in the last 10 years have never had a ranger stop me to check my exhaust on a KLR or WR250R (both aftermarket), I have seen a few but they dont flag me down to check things out. On local BLM land once I ran into an 'official' and he was more concerned about me having the OHV sticker, when he realized the KLR was street legal he gave me a thumbs up and moved on, and he could clearly hear the modified exhaust on my KLR.

So its possible a cranky ranger could give you a ticket on a stock exhaust, my experience is once they see blinkers and a road plate they dont care. The enforcement is focused on dirt bikes, 4-wheelers and SxS crowd.

Additionally, this summer is not a critical wildfire season, big winter and regularly wet summer so far. Unlike last year when things would catch fire if you looked at them funny. So enforcement will be relaxed based on that

Where are you planning to ride out here?

Thanks for the info - we had a base camp in Salida and did numerous loops around that area. I took part in an X Roads of the Rockies tour where they provided gps maps and lots of info about the different trails one can ride (from adv riders to dual sport to single track).

http://www.advtours.com/

There was one KLR in the group and he seemed to be having a blast.

The closest I got to the White River area were the loops around Aspen and Leadville.

And you were correct - I did not see any USFS personnel at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in