Road Based Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Road Based Tires

I ride mostly on the road maybe 5 percent on fire roads going to have to start to look for tires soon. What tires do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to recommend Dunlop Sporttrax Road Smart III's.......I've got over 8K on the rear and about 2400 on the front. Good wear, good wet traction, and reportedly good longevity (mine look fine so far). They seem to work OK on gravel roads.

Tires are like oil, everyone has there preference.
Jeff Lev likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've had about equal service and excellent ride and handling from Pirelli Angels GT, Dunlop RS III, and Bridgestone T-31. I just loaded up with three rears and one front on the T-31 last Spring. The price after rebate at Rocky Mountain ATV was under $110 for each rear, less for the front. I've had issues with the PR series from Michelin, they tend to cup out early. The above listed tires have been excellent to the end.

My rear tires have gone a max of 6000 miles. I am not easy on them. For instance, the RS III that Duffy has 8k miles on it was toast on my bike at 6k miles.
Iv'e just installed rear tire number 11 or 12? I put one on it when I bought it with 12k miles on it, the others I've shredded up over 50k miles. The last rear to come off had about the same tread on the sides as the main part and no chicken strip. Different people get different mileages. Some over inflate to get the max mileage, setting pressures at 42. As I tend to ride harder I keep the pressures closer to recommended. I don't want to deal with the loss of traction that that entails.

BTW, the above tires work OK off road, though not so good in sand.
Jeff Lev likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 PM

Garage
If I were doing anything besides 100% pavement, like fire roads or gravel, I'd go with the Shinko 705.
Mydnyte Son and Jeff Lev like this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
https://www.bridgestone.com/products...009/index.html

My Choice -BRIDGESTONE BATTLAX SERIES.
Jeff Lev likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
If I were doing anything besides 100% pavement, like fire roads or gravel, I'd go with the Shinko 705.
I went through several 705 Shinkos, the first tires that I installed on the V. I then tried a set of Pirelli Angel GT's.

The difference in ride, handling, and length of service have convinced me to never go back. The difference in handling and ride was so apparent that it only took about two miles to make up my mind on that. The ride is soooo much smoother. I run about 35 lbs up front and 36 to 40 in the rear, depending on load, etc. The street tires that I have used have all been decent on gravel, fire, and light duty single track, at least until I hit sand. Mud puddles are also a challenge. The 705's would help then, but really, not a whole lot. I do have 705's on my KLR.

Then there is that whole cornering thing. I feel more confident with good street tires, I feel I can count on them more when I'm being a hooligan.

A decent 90/10 tire might also work well, something I have given some thought to. I'm always open to something better but the ones I've listed above in a previous post have been excellent, except for the Michelins.
Jeff Lev likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Idk if they are available in your size, but I love the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my V650. Like you, most of my riding is on the street but there are those fun off road excursions. I loved the first set so much I replaced them with another identical set.

They are a 90/10 tire. Not for deep sand or mud. I took an adventure riding class which involved single track, water crossings, up and down hills, off-camber trails, and some sand. I've ridden some pretty interesting off-road tracks. The Scorpion Trail II did as well as anything except true knobbies on an enduro bike. Despite their non-aggressive look they do grip the dirt very well. On the road they are much better than the stock factory tires (Dunlop) that came on the V650.

These tires are great for moto-camping. They are excellent on the highways and twisties getting to camp, and then they are fine on the dirt.

Not a motocross tire, and not for the soft sand or slippery mud. Great for pavement and dirt.
Pekes17 and Jeff Lev like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I have run nothing but the Shinko E705 RADIAL rubber on my two current V650s (130/80x17F, 150/70x17R on the '08 w/ raised front fender, and 120/70x17F, 150/70x17R on the '15, stock height front fender, pressures at 36F, 42R) for SEVERAL (at least two) changes. I run pavement, dirt - whatever! - and looking at the ones on my '15 - the 'chicken-strips' are from 1/4 to 1/2" front and rear, and by 'chicken-strips' I refer to the area on the tires' shoulders exhibiting LESS scuffing than do the central portions.

I like to say that I ride in an "enthusiastic" fashion....
Jeff Lev likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Angels are not available in the correct sizes for a Versys 300
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I was happy with the Shinko Ravens 009. Ran those except for the time I needed a tire on a trip and got a contimotion.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have four sets in my cart Michelin Anakee 3 (on back order) Continental Trail Attack 3, Metzeler Road Tech 01, and Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Doing some more research but I want to be ready when the time comes. Thanks for the help
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lev View Post
I have four sets in my cart Michelin Anakee 3 (on back order) Continental Trail Attack 3, Metzeler Road Tech 01, and Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Doing some more research but I want to be ready when the time comes. Thanks for the help
Why the mix? The roadtech 01 are not trail tires like the other ones, just touring tires.

I've been looking at tires also as my rear tire with 12k km is almost finished.

I haven't decided yet, but as I only go on paved roads my choices are:
Pirelli Angel GT II
Metzeller Roadtech 01
Continental Contiroadattack 3.

Depending on price and avaiability in the next couple weeks I will install a new set.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
12k miles on the original rear tire?? I only have 2600 miles and I doubt it will last to my 3600 mile oil change. I am just trying to narrow down my choices and do my research. Where did you find the Angels that fit a Versys X300??? If I could find them they would probably be my top choice. I could still do a gravel or dirt road with them if I had to
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
12k miles on the original rear tire?? I only have 2600 miles and I doubt it will last to my 3600 mile oil change. I am just trying to narrow down my choices and do my research. Where did you find the Angels that fit a Versys X300??? If I could find them they would probably be my top choice. I could still do a gravel or dirt road with them if I had to
12k km. Close to 8k miles.

I'm not familiar with the x300 tire size. But the rear is avaiable from 150 to 190.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 PM

Kenda Big Block Pavers are available in OEM sizes.......I am on my second rear and first front. The first rear went 10000 miles and the front has over 50 % tread left at 8500 miles.
https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...g-block-paver/
Jeff Lev likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:17 PM

Hey Whisper, I'm interested in these Big Block Pavers...sound ideal for my riding. So, do you simply put a tube in them or have you converted your rims for tubeless?
ulito23 likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How do they feel out on the road?? They sure are priced right
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekes17 View Post
Hey Whisper, I'm interested in these Big Block Pavers...sound ideal for my riding. So, do you simply put a tube in them or have you converted your rims for tubeless?
I just run the standard tube and balance with weights.......all is good.
ulito23 likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
How do they feel out on the road?? They sure are priced right
They are a very neutral tires that are also good in the rain........I don’t ride anything tougher than rock roads.
Jeff Lev likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
I just run the standard tube and balance with weights.......all is good.
I have been wondering a lot about that question. A lot of people talk about how the use this and that tire... but most of the common ones are tubeless. Thats why I always have been confused on how that works. Just putting a tube in them sounds kinda good to me.
Thanks!!

El que se apura en la patagonia, pierde el tiempo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in