steering lock problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2wheels4fun
  • 2 Post By Sarco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
steering lock problem

Greetings,

Okay, this might be a stupid question. I'm still a total Moto Noob. I passed my safety course (Canadian version of the MSF), and am now just practicing before I do my road test in a week.

I bought a 2018 Versys-X new. I've only got 150 km on the odo thus far.

One problem with the bike that my friend noticed the other day is that I cannot use the steering lock. I can turn the bike On and Off okay. But when I push the key in and try to move it to the leftmost position to lock the steering, it doesn't work. I tried both keys. The cylinder rotates about 2/3 of the way between off and lock. The key is not removable in that position, and the steering is not locked in that position. So I have to turn the key back to off to remove it and the steering isn't locked.

I ensured that the handlebars were maximally rotated to the left before attempting the above procedure.

Am I missing something or is there a problem with the bike?

Thanks for any tips / advice. Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:29 PM

On some bikes, maximally rotated to the left does not work and have to come a little off of it and back to right a little.
Fastoman likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

2W4F,

That took me literally two seconds to do, and it totally worked. I just backed off the L rotation of the bars by about 5 degrees and the cylinder rotated perfectly.

Thanks so much! That made my day.

:-)
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 PM

Shortly after getting my x300, I had the opposite problem. I parked my bike and with the steering locked. However, when I tried to unlock, I couldn't get the key to turn clockwise to unlock. It took about half an hour of rocking the handlebar (whisk included slight adjustments of the handlebar from the full turn), moving the bike backwards and forwards. Then miraculously it unlocked. I still don't understand what happened and I am nervous about using the steering lock.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by az29okg View Post
Shortly after getting my x300, I had the opposite problem. I parked my bike and with the steering locked. However, when I tried to unlock, I couldn't get the key to turn clockwise to unlock. It took about half an hour of rocking the handlebar (whisk included slight adjustments of the handlebar from the full turn), moving the bike backwards and forwards. Then miraculously it unlocked. I still don't understand what happened and I am nervous about using the steering lock.
Put some Oil/WD40 - the magic spray- and try it at home. and how often do you use your handle bar lock?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 PM

I should have mentioned that the bike was essentially brand new (less than 40 km on it when it happened). I did put some WD40 into it. I've used it maybe twice since then (3 month period).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:48 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Also look under the ignition switch. You will be able to see the lock pin that extends out of the switch. Put a little bit of grease on the pin and the lug on the bike frame at that location.

I very rarely use the lock. If someone wants your bike they are going to take it anyways. 2 people and a bar under the triple tree can move a bike any where they want.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
...I very rarely use the lock. If someone wants your bike they are going to take it anyways. 2 people and a bar under the triple tree can move a bike any where they want....
I always park my Vs w/ the steering locked as it gives some protection in the event it falls (or gets knocked-over), except at home where it's in my garage on a rear pit-stand.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:40 PM

Garage
I have the same problem locking my bike, just takes a little getting used to. I always use the steering lock, even though its not much of a deterent, the problem being in the UK, the insurers will reject a theft claim if they find out that the steering wasnt locked when or if the bike gets recovered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode