Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 on a Versys-X 300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 on a Versys-X 300

My son wants to get his Iron Butt certificate by riding 1000 miles within 24 hours on our Versys-X 300. I think he's crazy as his longest day on a motorcycle is 125 miles. I don't think he's ever even driven a car more than 250 miles in a day. He is 18 years old and has 1 year of experience on a 50cc scooter, 1 year on a 150cc scooter, and has been riding the Versys since May of last year.

While he's technically an adult, I own 25% of his motorcycle and the title is in my name. So, I could stop him from going. Instead, I'm going to join him so I can keep an eye on him. I'll be following him on my Goldwing F6B. My last 1000 mile in a day ride was on an FZ1, so it will feel almost like cheating on a Goldwing!

We are planning three long rides before the big one. I just want to make sure he has a real understanding of what a long day in the saddle entails.

He has the Seat Concepts seat installed and an MRA X-creen windshield extension on the stock shield. I have an extra cramp-buster he can use to relax his grip.

I don't think a 300cc motorcycle is the best choice for long distance riding. But, if you have to ride long distances on a 300cc machine, the Versys is one to do it on.

I'm curious if anyone here has done any really long days in the saddle of their 300 and what the experience was like.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 - 2015 Honda F6B Gold Wing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM

I had to look up the Versys X-300 to make sure how many cylinders it has. The Kawasaki website says it has two. The reason I wanted to know, is I had a 300cc bike, but it was a single cylinder...and it vibrated like mad. If I rode even 100 miles on it, I would be in mild pain for days. Maybe lingering for a few weeks. So how much vibration does the Versys have? That would be a key issue for me.

Planning three longer rides to work up to the 1000 is a good idea. He may not make it that long. Make sure he gets in the habit of taking breaks, staying hydrated. (and NOT with sugary/caffeinated drinks) A little something to eat, a little something to drink..while standing, then back on the bike. (and I'd pay attention to how tired he is at each break) Being tired is an invitation to mistakes/trouble.

Heck if it were me, I'd follow him in a car! (never having ridden a Goldwing)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My longest week was 2 days at 650 miles, followed by 5 days at 300 miles, then 2 days at 650 to get home. That was done a 440LTD with my 6'-1" body crammed on it.

That was done with a few decades less damage on the body, but I went to work the next day.
I think the young body coupled with a better riding position and lack of sensibilities would do fine (as long as you're there to moderate and supply judgement).

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
My son wants to get his Iron Butt certificate by riding 1000 miles within 24 hours on our Versys-X 300. I think he's crazy as his longest day on a motorcycle is 125 miles. I don't think he's ever even driven a car more than 250 miles in a day. He is 18 years old and has 1 year of experience on a 50cc scooter, 1 year on a 150cc scooter, and has been riding the Versys since May of last year.

While he's technically an adult, I own 25% of his motorcycle and the title is in my name. So, I could stop him from going. Instead, I'm going to join him so I can keep an eye on him. I'll be following him on my Goldwing F6B. My last 1000 mile in a day ride was on an FZ1, so it will feel almost like cheating on a Goldwing!

We are planning three long rides before the big one. I just want to make sure he has a real understanding of what a long day in the saddle entails.

He has the Seat Concepts seat installed and an MRA X-creen windshield extension on the stock shield. I have an extra cramp-buster he can use to relax his grip.

I don't think a 300cc motorcycle is the best choice for long distance riding. But, if you have to ride long distances on a 300cc machine, the Versys is one to do it on.

I'm curious if anyone here has done any really long days in the saddle of their 300 and what the experience was like.
Well if he doesn't have the stock seat then it shouldn't be that bad although I don't know just how good that Seat Concepts seat is. The stock seat is uncomfortable after a while for sure.

I love how instead of stopping your son from going you're letting him go. Nice father and son trip.

I would appreciate that as a son myself.

Haven't ridden on a long trip on mine.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jake Wheelie; 07-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have done Asian Iron Butt ride on the Versys 650. Just wanting to do it was all I needed and just went and rode the 1500km and yes, it was painful , not riding but when you want to get off the bike for refill and break (the tail bone hurt like hell). Not sure how your son will handle it , but since you are there for him , he should do well.

Good luck to both of you.
Jake Wheelie likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM

Someone finished the Iron Butt Rally this year on a 300 Versys. To finish, that usually means 10K-11K miles over the 11 days.
Jake Wheelie likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Wow. Those are some miles there. I wouldn't last and probably be found laying on the side of the road somewhere. I can't believe that. Those guys are super human.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Fastoman likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
...Heck if it were me, I'd follow him in a car! (never having ridden a Goldwing)....
Think of a "Goldwing" as a TWO-wheeled car...
jaaklucas and Jake Wheelie like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone! We are going to do a 300+ mile day trip on Sunday to Duluth, MN. We'll see how he holds up.

It would be interesting to find out what comfort mods were made by the person who completed the Iron Butt Rally a Versys 300.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesyrider View Post
thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone! We are going to do a 300+ mile day trip on sunday to duluth, mn. We'll see how he holds up.

It would be interesting to find out what comfort mods were made by the person who completed the iron butt rally a versys 300.
good luck and be safe.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-12-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 AM

#1 comfort modification, at least with the stock seat, a trailer! (as in tie it down on a trailer and ride in what is pulling it down the highway)
Jake Wheelie likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Tip#1: wear those cushioned bicycle shorts under your motorcycle pants; Tip#2: eat light and drink plenty of fluids; Tip#3: know your limit, it's not worth your life...stop if you feel really tired.

PS: from a rider that tried and failed at mile 820 (a.k.a myself). Had a bad headache that almost knocked me down.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 AM

I did one years ago on a Honda CBR 600. Was sore for a week afterwards, but had fun doing it. The X with a good aftermarket seat would be very doable.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I've done many LONG riding days (around 12 hours, or MORE), but I've NEVER understood the need to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Whatever "floats your boat" I guess.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
According to my GPS, we rode 317.49 miles yesterday on our round trip journey to Duluth. So, almost 1/3 of an Iron Butt ride. My son gained a better appreciation for what to expect when he goes for the 1000 mile in a day ride.

The main problems for him were the seat and his helmet. The Seat Concepts seat, while much better than stock, still is inadequate for long rides. He is going to try wearing padded bicycle shorts next time (thanks for the suggestion, Jay_Chicago!). His head shape is too round for his helmet and he developed a painful hotspot. So, once he gets a new helmet and some bicycle shorts, we will go on another long ride to see how much the experience improves.
Fastoman likes this.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Did 700 miles in 13 hours (group ride) , ugh, on a different mc. IMO, the Iron Butt thing is foolish bravado.
Definitely need some sort of throttle control and recommend a camelback (water) in a tank bag.
The throttle vibration should be fine since the rpms will be above 6,000.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
7,700+ miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Garage
First off, craziness at your son’s age us something we tend to lose as we “mature.” It should be commended, encouraged, and embraced. Let his craziness thrive and this experience be golden for both of you! Hopefully some of it will be regenerated in you. Father and son crazy is a very special special and rare kind of crazy.

Secondly, congrats on being an awesome father! I’m sure this will be an experience you both will love and remember.

As with all in life, enjoy the ride!

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 PM

I don't think Iron Butt is foolish bravado. No different than climbing mountains or skiing black diamonds.
It is a challenge.
If you want to be practical and boring all the time, don't ride a bike at all. Get a Honda Civic or some other boring cage.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go for it!! Ride sesibily,its a marathon not a sprint.Try a sheepskin on the seat,it helps me.

Happy riding
ulito23 likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
According to my GPS, we rode 317.49 miles yesterday on our round trip journey to Duluth. So, almost 1/3 of an Iron Butt ride. My son gained a better appreciation for what to expect when he goes for the 1000 mile in a day ride.

The main problems for him were the seat and his helmet. The Seat Concepts seat, while much better than stock, still is inadequate for long rides. He is going to try wearing padded bicycle shorts next time (thanks for the suggestion, Jay_Chicago!). His head shape is too round for his helmet and he developed a painful hotspot. So, once he gets a new helmet and some bicycle shorts, we will go on another long ride to see how much the experience improves.
The helmet is major...if it doesn't fit life will be continuous stress.
As far as the seat...I found that the Alaskan leather sheep skin pad made all the difference in the world hot or cold I don't ride without it between my butt and seat concepts seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode