Live and learn... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 4 Post By Fuzzy74
  • 2 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Live and learn...

Broke my ignition key yesterday. But it broke in one of my side cases and not the ignition.
I knew the metal was weak because it had been twisted before. Plus I had a spare made some time ago but never bothered to hide it on the bike. So my good wife rescued me with the spare key.
Anyway, live and learn through my mistakes. I do realize it could have been worse. Now I'm off to get another key (or two) made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I carry 3 keys with me i have the 2 stock keys on different key rings. One i have on a key ring with all my house keys that i keep in the top case. The other stock key i have on a key ring with my give top case key i keep in my pants pocket. The 3rd key i keep it single to use on the ignition. My spare give top case key i keep in my wallet.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I attached a spare ignition key to EACH of my Vs, w/ clear silicone, in an 'out-of-the-way' place.

PROBABLY be a 'bear' to get it OFF, but at least it's THERE!

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:44 PM

I have a spare key duct taped to inside calf of my motorcycle boot.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM

I have a spare key too. And this just reminded me I had better go find where it is and relocate it to my boot, or somewhere else sensible.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy74 View Post
Clever.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:57 AM

I need to get a spare key. I only have 1 right now. Never would have thought of the key breaking being an issue.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
Never would have thought of the key breaking being an issue.
If you keep the locks 'lubricated' it is generally not a problem There is great debate somewhere here about what to use as a cleaner/lubricant, some use WD-40, I prefer graphite powder as recommended by a locksmith with many years of experience.

Another problem area is the locking gas cap. When opening and closing the cap I always push down just forward of the key slot to enable an easy turn of the key vs forcing the lock while the cap is under the always present upward pressure of the cap.

If you use those techniques key bending/breaking should not be a problem in my opinion.
chudzikb and bighead like this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I should clarify that BREAKING an ignition key is unlikely (I would think) to happen to most of you. This issue is more a product of the Vx-300 and their optional Kawi side cases - that utilize the ignition key.

These plastic budget side cases are 'dealer installed' to match the lock cylinders with the ignition key. And the locking mechanism is not great quality either. It pretty much is a two-handed operation -pressing down the case top while simultaneously turning the key with the other hand. In my instance, it was too many turns of the key trying to do it one-handed and the key would twist, and then I would twist it back. So I knew the metal was vulnerable.

Losing a key is another matter, and of course having a spare (somewhere) is the ounce of prevention.

Last edited by Pekes17; 07-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy74 View Post
I have SEVERAL pairs of riding boots, so this would NOT work for me....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have SEVERAL pairs of riding boots, so this would NOT work for me....

So buy SEVERAL spare keys, one for EACH boot.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Another problem area is the locking gas cap. When opening and closing the cap I always push down just forward of the key slot to enable an easy turn of the key vs forcing the lock while the cap is under the always present upward pressure of the cap.

If you use those techniques key bending/breaking should not be a problem in my opinion.

This for sure
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:11 PM

I always carry a spare key, you just never know.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There is spare key in all my riding jacket. And i am always ATGATT.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I only carry spare keys when on overnight trips. That is the only time the key leaves the ignition. Locally, when i stop somewhere, i put my gloves over the key to obscure it from view. I gas up 1/2 mile from home.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode