Gps - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gps

I'm wondering what kind of navigation you guys use on the bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been using a cheapo car unit for about 3 years. Garmin Nuvi 2589. I figured on getting a year or two out of it and then replace with another cheapo/throw away unit. So far I'm ahead in that game. In that time frame I've traveled about 50 to 60k miles. I do put it away or cover with a sandwich bag in heavy or steady rain.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Same here, cheaper car unit, when I use one, I think itís a Garmin Drive 60, big 6Ē screen. Had to install the 12v plug in outlet for it.

-- Larry --
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2008 Yamaha Zuma
2004 Honda ST1300

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Zumo 500. its an obsolete model now , but still good. Installed with Motowerk GPS mount.

Oldandslow likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 PM

Phone. Google Maps (downloaded areas I'm going to if I will be out of cell service). If I know where I am going and just want traffic alerts (and cop alerts) I use waze. But if I have no clue where I am going to and need directions, the google maps are better for letting you know stuff like 2 left turn lanes that kind of thing it is very useful.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Garmin zumo 396. Rain or shine. 80 miles a day commute. from below freezing in the winter to high-90's midwest summer. No problems after more than a year.

It also offers "LiveTrack" so people you "invite" can follow your ride. Now when I'm late getting home from work my wife can see where I'm stuck in traffic. And "Incident Detection" - it can detect a crash and notify someone you designate.

I also have a DriveSmart 61 LMT-S in the car - much bigger, nicer screen. Less expensive. BUT...
not weather proof
not shock proof
not glove friendly
not designed to be hard-wired (uses 12V plug)
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by Oldandslow; 05-10-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added zumo features
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzotya View Post
I use may cell phone. LG G6 in my case and a X-Grip RAM mount with a handle bar stem ball mount. This connects to my BlueTooth headset to give me voice prompts. I power it with a short USB cable connected to a USB 3 adaptor in my 12V socket. You can also by a ball mount for your windshield to use the same RAM Mount in your car when not driving your bike.

For software, I use a variety of software but mostly Google Maps (pre-downloaded so I don't use as much data). There is also a variety of other GPS software and motorcycle related software for Android and probably Apple as well.

In this day and age, I feel the dedicated GPS is obsolete.

My cell phone is waterproof, as are almost all new phones, however you can through a Glad sandwich bag over one that is not when it rains.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM

I use a Zumo 350LM. I've used the phone in the past but bright Florida sunlight washes out the screen and its difficult to see.
Oldandslow likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've had a Zumo 550 since 2010 just replaced it last year because i came across a sweet deal on a newer Zumo 390LM. Never had any issues and i now use it in my Xterra. Survived one bad crash and plenty of nasty weather. Heres a Zumo 550 for sale for $150.00 shipped on another forum that i almost scooped up.....https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,18562.0.html

IMG_0780 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010559 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Zumo 390LM by weljo2001, on Flickr
Fastoman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Got a Garmin Nuvi 550 (waterproof car-unit) on each of my Vs. They work fine, but little 'unusual' things have started to happen.

Oldandslow likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Got a Garmin Nuvi 550 (waterproof car-unit) on each of my Vs. They work fine, but little 'unusual' things have started to happen.
If you haven't already, try calling Garmin Support - they're knowledgeable and helpful.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
I have gone through a half dozen car GPSs and finally bit the bullet and got a Zumo 590. I love the 590. I hate dealing with the phone GPS and it also drains my phone battery worse than any other app.

Randy
Oldandslow likes this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much the lots of great replies. I may stay with my cell phone as a navigation device.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Paper (or plasticized) maps. In a pocket on the top of the tank bag. Or, written cryptic instructions in an armband ID holder around my left forearm.

I don't go to a bunch of places nearby but hard to find, so I don't need a GPS nagging me when to turn. I can remember to go north on the freeway, and then look at the note in my armband for the exit #. If it is a long trip then I will be making fuel/food/bathroom stops every couple of hours and can look at the physical map.

In the car I don't use gps either.

But I'm not navigating to lots of new or hard to find destinations frequently.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 PM

I use my iPhone and use Scenic as my navigation app. Itís a motorcycle specific navigation app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 AM

Garage
Garmin zumo 396LMT-S
Oldandslow likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Hi Bzotya - like you, I use my cell phone. I sometimes take the ferry to Vancouver and go to see clients. The bike is great through the city, especially if there are traffic issues.

But rather than mounting it on my bike as another distraction, I program my destination using Google Maps, put the cell phone in my jacket pocket, and listen to navigation instructions through some (running) bluetooth earbuds. Running earbuds are waterproof (if you sweat) and usually go around your ear to stay on better. This takes a little fiddling around before you get going but it works pretty well. Under my helmet, I can easily hear Google Assistant above wind and traffic noise plus if I get a notification or phone call ( if I'm not on Android Auto) I can pull over and deal with it if necessary.

The beauty of this is my phone is in my pocket - I can keep my eyes on the road. Google Assistant only barks at me when necessary.

my $0.02
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:08 AM

Well - yes, there is a number of pros for the cellphone - but there is definately also som cons:
Don't rely on "most cellphones today are waterproff" - they are not !
Also, they are built for no worse handling than staying in your pocket - mounting it on the handlebars of a twin, capable of rotating up to 12.750 revs can easily kill the phone due to vibrations.
Safety wise I don't get the idea that you should not have a visible screen but only rely on audio; as I mostly drive in the Danish Capitol, I have experienced over an over again that audio guidance is far from sufficiently accurate; intersections can easily be so close that audio guidance is more confusing than no guide at all. "Turn right" - OK - 1., 2. or 3. right ?!
A screen with a visual guide is worth gold then, as a quick glance tells me that it is actually the 2. right that is the...right ;o)
So I bought Tomtom's Vio on sale - looks like an extra side mirror and can be mounted on a side mirror stem - or the handlebars.
Relies on Tomtom on your phone - partly; needs the internet connection (AFAIR) and utilizes BT for delivering audio guidance - or just use wired earplugs. (You select destination on the phone - the the Vio takes over on its own).
And You'll be hard pressed to find a smaller dedicated unit !
Will run for hours off integrated battery - charges through USB, so no big issue getting power for it when needed.
Sure - your cellphone will also need juice, but it is my impression that it doesn't draw nearly as much power as the screen can be turned off as soon as you have pressed "Start route".
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzotya View Post

I strictly use a GPZ -- Global Positioning Ziplock. It's where you write your directions on a piece of paper, put the paper in a ziplock, and tape that ziplock to your tank. Never lets me down, no one steals it, never runs me up a dirt road, does not direct me via unnecessary freeway doglegs, and it's also super duper cost and time effective... so much so that I defy you to beat it Some riders more impressed by how much they spent than how efficiently they progressed will maintain that your typical GPZ may unfortunately stumble you into the dreadful necessity of actually having to talk to a real person (Gaia Forbid!) along your way. In countless miles over too many years, I have never found that to be the case... not unless she's attractive enough to invent a pretext to stop and ask, and/or I have nowhere better to be.

Yes, I am a geek. I do enjoy tech. But not for it's own sake.

In this pic you can make out my GPZ deployed aboard Sierra, 2016 Versys 650LT, with an EZ-Pass mounted atop:

Tho in truth I must admit that particular GPZ relies on a magnetic tank pouch in lieu of a ziplock. But it's the same idea. From the date on the picture, I'd guess this pic was snapped at a rest stop somewhere in Kansas.

and now back to your regularly scheduled program
Fly-Sig likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Garage
This is handy on an overcast day when going nowhere in particular:

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode